Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argument backed opinions on this "too much too little contrast" rejection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Argument backed opinions on this "too much too little contrast" rejection

    Hi there.

    I am really keen on getting some reasoning on why and how this photo has been rejected by the vague "too much too little contrast" argument

    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=10228747

    All commentary welcome

    Starting of whether it is considered a too much or too low case, then why so.





  • #2
    Aegean in the background is lit by the sun, the Olympic and the helicopter unfortunately not. I guess you tried to compensate this by contrast, but in this case I believe it won’t work to an acceptable picture. Not a screener though

    Comment


    • #3
      I’m joining fleckenmann’s reasoning. Contrast between sunny areas and dimly lit areas including helicopter.

      Comment


      • #4
        The spikes need to be in the middle or at least closer to it.

        Comment


        • #5
          The lighting on the helicopter is dim. I want to clarify that when we talk about contrast on JP we are not referring to the "classic" contrast of general photography but to the relationship between the lighting of the subject and the background.

          Comment


          • #6
            There is no direct sunlight falling on the main aircraft.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
              when we talk about contrast on JP we are not referring to the "classic" contrast of general photography but to the relationship between the lighting of the subject and the background.
              And someone finally says it! lol

              This is entirely a problem with simplistic and vague terms instead of just being more accurate about the rejection criteria.

              There is no "contrast" problem with this image. Its simply in shadow when the background is in sun. If anything, this is an extreme "backlit" scenario, literally the far background is lit, and the entire helicopter is in shadow.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by arseni628 View Post
                There is no direct sunlight falling on the main aircraft.
                No, this cannot be the actual case.
                You can find tens of thousands of examples in the database of photos taken with overcast or dim/dusty/humid ambient conditions.
                Νο such thing as "direct sunlight" applies in those cases.

                Quick example: several of the recent photos taken at LGAD during Iniochos 2022 exercise, adding the fact of the grey camouflage tones of most aircraft which allegedly makes matter worse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
                  The lighting on the helicopter is dim. I want to clarify that when we talk about contrast on JP we are not referring to the "classic" contrast of general photography but to the relationship between the lighting of the subject and the background.
                  This is exactly what urged me to start this thread.
                  It has to be clarified at some point, especially considering the long screening times.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The background being brighter as your subject kills your shot. Indeed there are several 'dark' shots available in the DB, but in this case the chopper being dark, due to no direct light falling on it and the background. Once I got I similar shot in prescreen refused for exact the same reason.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jhud922 View Post

                      And someone finally says it! lol

                      This is entirely a problem with simplistic and vague terms instead of just being more accurate about the rejection criteria.

                      There is no "contrast" problem with this image. Its simply in shadow when the background is in sun. If anything, this is an extreme "backlit" scenario, literally the far background is lit, and the entire helicopter is in shadow.
                      Well stated.

                      My suggestion to the JP team is to either split this vague rejection reason into two discrete ones or just leave a note in their rejection email stating which of the two applies. (first option seems more efficient / less time consuming)
                      It is just like overexposed and underexposed, only one of the two may apply.

                      I am quite sure there are numerous people here who would back this suggestion up.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gxaid View Post

                        Well stated.

                        My suggestion to the JP team is to either split this vague rejection reason into two discrete ones or just leave a note in their rejection email stating which of the two applies. (first option seems more efficient / less time consuming)
                        It is just like overexposed and underexposed, only one of the two may apply.

                        I am quite sure there are numerous people here who would back this suggestion up.
                        Please see why we don't believe it's a good idea to do so : https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...-or-too-little

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The link posted by alex clarifies many aspects of the matter.
                          I myself a few days ago I was faced with this problem with some photos accept and one rejected. Yet they were all taken in the same light conditions and I thought, reading the histogram and evaluating according to experience, they were all acceptable. The rejection prompted me to delete more photos from the queue so as not to engage the screener unnecessarily.
                          But, I repeat, the plane must be well lit with respect to the context; this will avoid rejection with the motivation.
                          P.s.
                          I shot the same heli at my airport
                          https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10617891

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X