Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony A7 II

Hi
    I am a long term user of the Nikon D3300 and have been uploading onto this site for over 10 years. I am now looking at making a considerable investing upgrading to a used mirrorless Sony A7 II in excellent condition. I would like to know your thoughts on this camera for aviation photography and if it would be a good investment.

Thanks

Hello. I've been shooting Sony for around 2 years now and from what I've heard, the AF system on the A7II can be a bit slow. In my opinion, I would spend a little more on a used Sony A7III. I still use it to this day and I've had no complaints with it. It sure is one of the best full-frame cameras for a budget.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dancaviation View Post
      Hello. I've been shooting Sony for around 2 years now and from what I've heard, the AF system on the A7II can be a bit slow. In my opinion, I would spend a little more on a used Sony A7III. I still use it to this day and I've had no complaints with it. It sure is one of the best full-frame cameras for a budget.

Cheers
      Hi! If don't shoot a video, Nikon Z6II may be a better choice.
      Same imx410 sensor, Regardless of video shooting, I think it is more popular than A7 III, especially in terms of handling and screen.
      Although the lens group is scarce, FTZ or ETZ is also a good choice.
      Best!

Comment

If you want to stay DSLR, Nikon D750 is a good choice available quite cheaply (and probably wouldn't require you to get new glass)
        For Mirrorless, A7 II has some AF issues which could make it less of a good choice, but def look into A7RII/III or Nikon Z5 or Z6II

Comment

What lenses do you have? The Nikon Z series can probably use most lenses that worked on your D3300. The question is what you hope to gain by the change and how much money you can spent on lenses, because once you moved to a full frame sensor things become expensive. Maybe a D7500 would be a cheaper idea, that gives you a much faster shooting camera with a reliable AF system.

Comment

Hi, thanks all for the reply. I currently have three Nikon lenses for the crop sensor. a 35ml prime, 18-55 kit lens, and 55-300ml lens. I am wanting better low-light performance and something that will deliver an enhanced aviation photography experience.

Comment

in this case you must also consider the change of lens park both if you take sony and if you take nikon.
              The lens in this type of photography is essential especially if you need a long one for medium-long distance photos. For their choice you have to ask yourself: which planes do I want to photograph?
              Civilian aircraft are generally large and slow, military and general aviation aircraft are small and military aircraft faster.
              These questions combined with the sensor format will give you the answer.
              Excuse my bad English. Friendliness

Comment

Originally posted by cmorton View Post
                Hi, thanks all for the reply. I currently have three Nikon lenses for the crop sensor. a 35ml prime, 18-55 kit lens, and 55-300ml lens. I am wanting better low-light performance and something that will deliver an enhanced aviation photography experience.
                The 35mm prime is a good lens, just rather useless for aviation photography. The 18-55 is cheap but actually quite decent. The AF-S 55-300 is not that great though.

If you go to FF (regardless of Sony or another brand) you will need everything new and a lens matching the effective zoom range of your 55-300 on the crop sensor, would be an 80-450 - so you will be looking at the numerous 80-400 or 100-400 lenses. They are not cheap, they are not small and they are heavy.

So maybe stick with the crop factor. Get a D7200/D7500 and the newer AF-P NIKKOR 70-300 mm 1:4,5-5,6E ED VR. The lens is faster, has a much better resolution and works on a FF sensor without any limitations. You could keep the D3300 with the 18-55 for static displays or ramp shots. So at events you do not have to switch lenses.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. Been doing more research and think I will stay with the crop range. What do you guys think of the Nikon Z50? With the adaptor, I can still use my lenses but also take advantage of what Mirrorless can offer.

Comment

What advantages are you looking for? If you want to take photos the advantages are limited, much more so for aviation photography, as things like eye-detect AF are kind of useless for planes.

Looking at a UK website.

They list the Z50 + FTZ adapter at 1550. A D7500 comes in at 1050 with the Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6E ED VR AF-P NIKKOR at 630.

So you would end up with the

Z50+FTZ adapter + your old lenses: 1550
                    D7500 + new 70-300: 1710

If you can sell your 55-300 for 100 the difference shrinks further.

So if you are not into video, I think the D7500 gives you more value for the money.

Comment

Working...
                    X