X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by seahawk View Post
    This sounds like a very good plan. And you can also look for a used D7200 - maybe even D5600 - as it also has a better AF than the D3300.
    #And you can also look for a used D7200 - maybe even D5600 - as it also has a better AF than the D3300.
    Thx. I would love to try some used equipment. Unfortunately on my country buying used is not common. There's little to none "save" sellers. Yes I can buy it on ebay... but with no warranties what so ever. Having lens with moisture/dust , along with dust in the sensor is "normal".. I can't risk my money on this.
    I would love to have items marked with "open box", but unfortunately used items aren't a real option around here... so it's a question of 715Eur , that's the question

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    This sounds like a very good plan. And you can also look for a used D7200 - maybe even D5600 - as it also has a better AF than the D3300.

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    You want to rethink using F10-F13.

The topic is diffraction: https://photographylife.com/what-is-...in-photography

If you look at the charts of the 55-200 the best sharpness can usually found at F8-F11 depending on the focal length: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/n...-review--27221

And regarding the body. The future is mirrorless and the Z mount. But I would wait till all the goodies of the Z9 trickle down to the cheaper siblings. The Z9 is probably the first mirrorless to soundly beat the top of the line DSLRs in every aspect and you can be sure that a lot of the AF logic will show up in the cheaper bodies over time.
    #You want to rethink using F10-F13.
    Agree. And I may have push a bit that F13 limit. Usually I use F11 on the ground... as strange as it seems , photos looks sharper to me. Then use F8 to F10 on flying planes depending on lights conditions thus the speed . Times to times I test the F13.. end of the day, could weather.. and I don't dislike the results. But I'm not trying to bend the physics diffraction law.

Yup the Z9 would be a dream come true... but not budget for that .
    (I believe Sony is a bit cheaper for the moment)

I'm starting to disguise a plan...
    1) start by buying a AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR. (FX)
    2) use it on my D3300.. evaluate the results...
    4) decide later on buying a d750

That's the simplest plan and also the cheapest one. I don't compromise the evolution and can reuse the 70-300 lens.

thanks again for your time and help

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    You want to rethink using F10-F13.

The topic is diffraction: https://photographylife.com/what-is-...in-photography

If you look at the charts of the 55-200 the best sharpness can usually found at F8-F11 depending on the focal length: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/n...-review--27221

And regarding the body. The future is mirrorless and the Z mount. But I would wait till all the goodies of the Z9 trickle down to the cheaper siblings. The Z9 is probably the first mirrorless to soundly beat the top of the line DSLRs in every aspect and you can be sure that a lot of the AF logic will show up in the cheaper bodies over time.
    Last edited by seahawk; 2022-09-20, 18:08.

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by 787Dream View Post
    Uhmm, D750 doesn't seem to be in the same price range as the other two and is certainly not mirrorless like the other two. If you want to keep using your old lens, you could use Nikon's FTZ adapter to use your old DX lens if you are short on cash. I think with the same price range you could get a Z6ii or D780, with better sensors, AF, and processing unit. Maybe choose z6ii since mirrorless is the future; but tbh I still love optical viewfinder.

And I second AF-P 70-300 fx lens if you still stick with F mounts. Super sharp. But I do have issues with vigentting when aiming at the sky; could be painful to fix.
    Thx 787Dream

#D750 doesn't seem to be in the same price range as the other two and is certainly not mirrorless like the other two
    In my region, they very similarly, but indeed the D750 is the cheaper of the pack. Yes, it's not a mirrorless... but I don't have a formed opinion on that. I never used one before, just check and use video cameras... admittedly probably I will prefer a play old dslr optical system... but the fact is that people are start to getting use to it... and the resolution and refresh rates of the viewfinders are getting crazy .. so

#If you want to keep using your old lens, you could use Nikon's FTZ adapter to use your old DX lens if you are short on cash.
    Sure, I've consider keeping my 18-140 or even the 55-200... but then the crop factor on a d7x0 will render them with a very small area. yes... the d850 would be a different story...but money, size and weight wise... d850 isn't an option.

#And I second AF-P 70-300 fx lens if you still stick with F mounts.Super sharp.
    Good. I start to see a trend here ...

#But I do have issues with vigentting when aiming at the sky; could be painful to fix
    ah... that's bad ( I'm assuming you notice the problem on a FX camera, right ? ) .
    Usually I shot small apertures... f/10 to f/13... do you notice the vignette problem also at those ?

That's again for the insights, advices, keep them coming..

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    Agree with Mirko, using an FX tele lens on a DX camera is making things a lot easier, as you can practically forget about vignetting and use only the sharper centre of the lens.
    Thx Seahawk
    It looks then the FX version is a good approach, can be used on both systems, giving then great flexibility,
    and yes I agree that keeping vignetting away will be a big plus

That's again for the advices, keep them coming..

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by bleuair View Post
    please do yourself a favour when buying a 70-300 lens from Nikon. Always go for the AF-P 70-300 fx (not dx) lens. It performs incredibly well on DX sensors and the pulse AF is the fastest I ever witnessed. The few extra $$$ are really worth it. I use the lens on a D7500 body and since I own this combo, I never used the FX for spotting again. The D7500 uses the same sensor as the D500 in a more compact body.

Just for the records though. The D750 is still among the best FX bodies when it comes to noise levels and dynamic range. This however works best when working in high iso and high contrast environments. Landscape, travel, macro, work well. If you're a hangar shooter, you might consider FX (surely better than an iPhone!). But for outdoor spotting I'd stick with a decent DX kit. Of course from Nikon, what else?
    Thx bleuair, great and strong advices.

#Always go for the AF-P 70-300 fx (not dx) lens.
    Indeed , I was just considering the FX version, because I wanted to pair it with the D750. I admitted, that I was not considering to be using it a DX.
    But, probably that's the better combo. The effect of less vignetting, the effect of probably using a more central point of the lens will for sure benefits sharpness and and detail.
    Not considering the reach of it with the DX crop result... sure I don't need this as of today... but I never know what a holiday will let me go to.
    So yes, the 70-300 FX version looks a good option for both..and who knows I can even buy it to use on my D3300... and later upgrade it to a d750... (and in a year's time..probably d780...will be at the same price)

#Just for the records though. The D750 is still among the best FX bodies when it comes to noise levels and dynamic range.
    So glad to hear that. D750... looks like the last dslr at an affordable price, that could stay here forever...(ah maybe misses the in body stabilisation) ...
    That's again for the great insights, keep them coming..

Leave a comment:

• 787Dream
    replied
    Uhmm, D750 doesn't seem to be in the same price range as the other two and is certainly not mirrorless like the other two. If you want to keep using your old lens, you could use Nikon's FTZ adapter to use your old DX lens if you are short on cash. I think with the same price range you could get a Z6ii or D780, with better sensors, AF, and processing unit. Maybe choose z6ii since mirrorless is the future; but tbh I still love optical viewfinder.

And I second AF-P 70-300 fx lens if you still stick with F mounts. Super sharp. But I do have issues with vigentting when aiming at the sky; could be painful to fix.

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Agree with Mirko, using an FX tele lens on a DX camera is making things a lot easier, as you can practically forget about vignetting and use only the sharper centre of the lens.

Leave a comment:

• bleuair
    replied
    please do yourself a favour when buying a 70-300 lens from Nikon. Always go for the AF-P 70-300 fx (not dx) lens. It performs incredibly well on DX sensors and the pulse AF is the fastest I ever witnessed. The few extra $$$ are really worth it. I use the lens on a D7500 body and since I own this combo, I never used the FX for spotting again. The D7500 uses the same sensor as the D500 in a more compact body.

Just for the records though. The D750 is still among the best FX bodies when it comes to noise levels and dynamic range. This however works best when working in high iso and high contrast environments. Landscape, travel, macro, work well. If you're a hangar shooter, you might consider FX (surely better than an iPhone!). But for outdoor spotting I'd stick with a decent DX kit. Of course from Nikon, what else?

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    FX:

EC-NBN. Airbus A330-243. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

DX:

EC-NBN. Airbus A330-243. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Editing is practically identical and only vignetting correction on FX, cropping, exposure adjustment, resize + sharpening. No noise reduction added in editing. Different lenses are unavoidable though, as you need a longer lens on the FX camera if you want to make use of the full frame and if you can not simply walk closer. (as it is the case for spotting)
    #Editing is practically identical and only vignetting correction on FX, cropping, exposure adjustment, resize + sharpening. No noise reduction added in editing.
    Great. Thx Seahawk for the clarification.

#as you need a longer lens on the FX camera if you want to make use of the full frame a
    Complete agree with you. That could be a huge deal break, and I need to consider the impacts.

as of today I'm using
    1) 50 => 75 FF Equivalent
    2) 18-140 => 210 FF Equivalent.
    3) 50-200=> 300 FF Equivalent.

Which, moving to FF are in the "acceptable" size/weight and reach in FF.

(In my local area, 200mm is enough, usually I'm shooting < 120 and I live near the airport, walking from home to the spot place )
    But yes moving from a D3300 to a d750 with a 70-300.... is 1Kg more to carry.

Thanks again for your help

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by MARK0 View Post
    Hi I hope this helps you
    i switched from a Canon EOS T7 (aps-c) to a Canon EOS RP (ff) and there are huge differences (better iso performance, better image quality in general and more).

here you have some of my favorite shots taken with the EOS RP using both the RF 24-105 STM and EF 75-300 lens
    Thx Mark0

#i switched from a Canon EOS T7 (aps-c) to a Canon EOS RP (ff) and there are huge differences
    Maybe I'm bias here.. but that's the kind of answer I was expecting from the ones who have switch.. but probably it's just me .. dreaming and wishing .

I've a similarly photo to your's : https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10697418
    this : https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9415303

However I can see differences in the noise (iso), dynamic range ( just like Seahawk mentioned ) and to me this reflects on the clarity , perceived resolution/definition and therefore a more 3d /wow effect, details will pop up a bit more on your photo.

But again, not huge differences. In the end everything will add up... lens, sensor, light, stabilisation...if everything is aligned then we have a wow photo...( thus better quality in general) ..if not then we may have a bad photo even with the theoretically best gear.

Now, if DX sensor are good enough, either in image quality and resolution... then probably the FX cameras can bring other (side effects) benefits:
    1) better/fast auto focus... which allows for sharper images
    2) better dynamic range... then more expose/light images
    3) better iso... then we can use faster speeds... more sharper images

... which end up in : "I don't see how/why ... but I like more of FF images "... not a great/backed up justification.. but..

So, thanks Mark0 for your help/story,

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    FX:

DX:

Editing is practically identical and only vignetting correction on FX, cropping, exposure adjustment, resize + sharpening. No noise reduction added in editing. Different lenses are unavoidable though, as you need a longer lens on the FX camera if you want to make use of the full frame and if you can not simply walk closer. (as it is the case for spotting)

Leave a comment:

• a.m.
    replied
    Decide for yourself
    Imho FX gives you resolution (at least with the high end cameras), better ISO performance and a bit more dynamic range. It costs you money and a much heavier kit to carry around.
    Thx Seahawk

Two great shots, hardly can see any difference . Very interesting exif data: different lens, different apertures, different speeds, 200ISO (!) ..
    Doing a bit pixel peeping, then the definition , clarity and noise reduction can be noted. Sure, don't know how much or which processing was applied to both ..

Based on these two.. I would keep the DX hands on. Am I a bit surprise ? yes.. I was expecting a bit more difference in the definition and clarity ..
    thanks for the help and insights.

Leave a comment:

• MARK0
    replied
    Hi I hope this helps you
    i switched from a Canon EOS T7 (aps-c) to a Canon EOS RP (ff) and there are huge differences (better iso performance, better image quality in general and more).

here you have some of my favorite shots taken with the EOS RP using both the RF 24-105 STM and EF 75-300 lens

EC-NIG. Airbus A350-941. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

LX-VCG. Boeing 747-8R7F. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

XA-VRX. Airbus A320-271N. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

N115AM. Boeing 737-9 MAX. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X