The Queue and current screening times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrelesenechal View Post

Did you point this out when uploading the image in the 'Hot photo?' field?
    Hello! I didnīt point the photo as "Hot Photo" because I think that just a new registration isn't enough to be "Hot Photo".
    In other photos with new registrations I only submitted them normally like any others, and them were screened quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseJorge View Post
      In other photos with new registrations I only submitted them normally like any others, and them were screened quickly.
      Sometimes it does take automatically, sometimes it doesn't - I have had both situations happen.

Comment

Coming back to the original topic : End of October now and the queue is still standing at 17 plus days which is definitely too much imho. Does FR24 as the owner of jetphotos not care of a better screening process or more screeners ? No News ?

Comment

Originally posted by fleckenmann View Post
          Coming back to the original topic : End of October now and the queue is still standing at 17 plus days which is definitely too much imho. Does FR24 as the owner of jetphotos not care of a better screening process or more screeners ? No News ?
          I am not affiliated with JP or FR24 at all, I am not a screener, I am just a person that has been uploading to JP for almost 20 years now and so a general uploader perspective on your comments. Firstly, please remember, the screeners are all volunteers, they do this for the love of aviation photography, for the love of the hobby, they are not paid in any way. They also have personal lives, things that they need to take care of on a daily basis as we all do. I personally do NOT like the idea of adding screeners to the process and here is why. We have a pretty damn good consistency from the screening crew. Yes, there are the occasional inconsistencies that we all note and a lot of the time, the crew will address those. Screeners don't just get added and start screening. They have to be trained in a lot of aspects of JP and FR24. Which of course, takes time away from those people that are doing the training which of course will make the queue only get longer. There used to be a program here called JP Elite, to which you could pay to get some of the benefits of subscribing to program, but that has been gone a while. I have a FR24 subscription which I am happy to pay for. Both of those, I did not and do not do to get any extra things from the sites, I pay because I want to give back to a hobby that I happen to enjoy immensely.

In my personal opinion, when I see complaints about the length of the queue and how long it is taking, to me it's an attack on the screening crew along the lines of, you are not giving enough of your time, you need to do more for us but we are not giving anything back to you. People want instant gratification almost, and no one has the right to demand that of people that give their time freely and voluntarily.

So what if it takes 17+ days to get an image screened, what if it took 10 days or 7 days, what extra are you getting out of that, the ability to fill the queue quicker? Images will be screened in the time available to the screeners. I am thankful that they DO get screened and we can all share our images with the rest of the interested world. As a general observation over the almost 20 years I have been uploading, summer in the northern hemisphere, the queue time always goes up, winter in the northern hemisphere, the queue time goes down because less images are uploaded and a lot of the screening crew have more time to screen with vacations, etc.

So, to the screening crew, thank you for all you do, and I will sit my 17+ days at the moment waiting patiently for my screening emails. You guys and gals do a wonderful job.

My 0.02c worth to the conversation.

Comment

I take your point Mark but …. FR24 is using the pictures commercially and this is no longer the volunteer page we have been uploading to. Think about the demise of a.net for example…..they went from top for many years to just another picture upload page. And I do personally know, that the screeners aren’t happy either. I did NOT criticize anyone doing this for free, I was asking if FR24 does actually care at all about what is going on here. And this is to support the jetphotos crew. You should better read my post next time before making any critics without a reason. Thank you

Comment

I take your point Mark but …. FR24 is using the pictures commercially and this is no longer the volunteer page we have been uploading to. Think about the demise of a.net for example…..they went from top for many years to just another picture upload page. And I do personally know, that the screeners aren’t happy either. I did NOT criticize anyone doing this for free, I was asking if FR24 does actually care at all about what is going on here. And this is to support the jetphotos crew. You should better read my post next time before making any critics without a reason. Thank you
              I will also add some point, while it might be slightly off topic, but it is partially connected to youre previous comment.
              Lot of people are kind of demanding some new features, of some "fixes", etc, however it must be considered, that the JP dies not directly bring extra money to FR24, while software development, even bugfixes might cost a lot. Thus it actually is understandable, that FR24 pays the most attention to FR24 as it is something, that actually makes income instead of being just "a side-project".

Comment

You should better read my post next time before making any critics without a reason. Thank you
                I did read your post in it's entirety .. and.. I made my comments based on that .. interpretations are not always the same. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for your inputs

We do understand the queue is long and that 17 days is really a lot of waiting.
                  Now about adding new screeners, we're in the process of adding 3 screeners, the 1st one being in the early steps of training. But we won't be expending more. Those 3 are to compensate the natural crew movement and people who left those last 2 years.
                  For the technical aspect of the site, FR24 is still willing to help improve the site and we might have some good news to share soon. Can't give any detail yet but things are moving

As always, thank you for your patience

Alex

Comment

Kind request to all uploaders: please read Upload Guidelines before uploading photos, as it would benefit both sides - uploaders would have less rejected photos, and we would stop wasting time on screening photos that shouldn't be uploaded in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
                      Kind request to all uploaders: please read Upload Guidelines before uploading photos, as it would benefit both sides - uploaders would have less rejected photos, and we would stop wasting time on screening photos that shouldn't be uploaded in the first place.
                      I would rather say, try a pre-screening thread, where most of the not-worth shots may get filtered.
                      Guidelines are great, but I suppose, that mostly junior members may have problems with applying those rules anyway unless they develop the feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JuklicekCZ View Post

I would rather say, try a pre-screening thread, where most of the not-worth shots may get filtered.
                        Guidelines are great, but I suppose, that mostly junior members may have problems with applying those rules anyway unless they develop the feel for it.
                        Pre-screening threads are great, no argue there, but I'm talking about obivous, easy to determin faults like backlit, centering and poor quality in general. If one would take few minutes and read UG we could easly avoid all of those.

Comment

JuklicekCZ , to give you an example, just from today, after 100 screened photos:
                          - 1 bad info / invalid hot - typo in a reg of a 787, with a note, that photographer couldn't find serial number - highly unlikely situation, especially that it was wearing full airline colors. Rejection that could be easly avoided
                          - Double in queue, which actually makes 2 rejections
                          - 2 very, and I mean very poor, quality photos - looked like taken with 2008 phone camera
                          - 1 obvious obstrucion
                          - 1 too far/centering.

Those are 7 rejections from 100 screened photos, now imagine that 7% of entire queue is the same. That's almost 1700 photos - it takes a day of crew effort to screen that many. So, queue time could be shorter by a day, if uploaders would take few minutes to read Guidelines.
                          Last edited by pawelm; 2022-10-31, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
                            JuklicekCZ , to give you an example, just from today, after 100 screened photos:
                            - 1 bad info / invalid hot - typo in a reg of a 787, with a note, that photographer couldn't find serial number - highly unlikely situation, especially that it was wearing full airline colors. Rejection that could be easly avoided
                            - Double in queue, which actually makes 2 rejections
                            - 2 very, and I mean very poor, quality photos - looked like taken with 2008 phone camera
                            - 1 obvious obstrucion
                            - 1 too far/centering.

Those are 7 rejections from 100 screened photos, now imagine that 7% of entire queue is the same. That's almost 1700 photos - it takes a day of crew effort to screen that many. So, queue time could be shorter by a day, if uploaders would take few minutes to read Guidelines.
                            I get that and I agree with that, the Guidelines should be read, but on the other hand, I still think that it is not much realistic to expect, that a newbie will just come read guidelines and then evaluate all complete drawbacks of the shot (including obstruction and cutoff for example), there is simply a lot of rejections needed before you get an acceptance. That why I think new members should go through the consultation path.

But to be honest for example double is a bit strange from my point of view. I totally get why it is there, but it may also happen, that you upload two different edits of the same shot to decide which is better to keep and while you are evaluating them another shot might enter the screening and you get a double.
                            From my point of view, the double should be triggered when the given doubled shot is being screened instead of whenever the double is present.

Comment

I bet that a lot of experienced photographers would be willing to become screeners if they have the chance to. The thought that If I add more screeners it would compromise the quality of photos accepted is mitigated by training and background.

And yes, even people that already know the guidelines may get rejections because they are getting used to the way that themselves evaluate their photos

Its time to push JP to the future, there are more photographer, more planes, more aviation, And the database has the same ability to process it since 2005

Comment

Hey Amigos

Since the end of January 2023 the queued photos per day has been halved from 1,000 per day to about 400 per day.
                                Is everything OK with the screening team? Maybe a glitch in the system?

Just curious and wish everyone a nice day.
                                Alberto

Comment

Working...
                                X