Just Ordered my D70!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Ordered my D70!

Bestbuy.com has them in stock so I ordered the kit with the 18-70mm lens and 2 SanDisk 256MB UltraII compact flash cards. I can't wait to pair it up with my 70-300 lens, with the magnification factor it will be like 105-450! Hopefully I'll be regularly posting pics (mostly WN) by Thursday. Oh, I chose Best Buy for the 12 months of no interest.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Shoulda gotten a 300D

:P

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
      Shoulda gotten a 300D

Actually the D70 is a much better camera...

Adam

Comment

I know that.... it has more features and stuff

But damnit Adam, just play along

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
          Shoulda gotten a 300D

I'm a big Nikon fan and a "Nikonian" www.nikonians.net but I did my research and the D70 beat 300D hands down. This will be my 4th Nikon camera.

Coolpix 775 (stolen and replaced)
          Coolpix 3100 (replaced the Cp775)
          N80 SLR
          D70 will be my only body after I sell the N80 and Cp 3100.

Comment

I'm truly sorry for you.

When buying a body it is best to look for the one that offers the best range of lens. The body will be obsolete in 5 years or less but the lenses you have can conceivably be good for much longer. I don't plan on using the 300D forever. I rather have that money I saved available to purchase more lenses which I can use with a Canon body further down the road. Canon in my opinion makes better glass than Nikon. That's what swung my vote.

Comment

I appreciate your sympathies Greg But my mommy and daddy aren't paying for my camera like your 300D. You are entitled to your opinion on glass quality. I'm happy with my decision.

Comment

You are going to love the D70. I'm having a ball with it!

Regarding the "competition" with the 300D, they are both great cameras. You wouldn't be disappointed with either. And also regarding the comment:

Canon in my opinion makes better glass than Nikon
                That's a very subjective opinion, but one that Greg is totally entitled to, and one I respect (although disagree with ). When I first starting being serious about photography in the 1980's, it was common knowledge that pros used Nikon because of the fact they had a reputation for having the best glass. That is why I chose to walk the Nikon road. And now in 2004, I'm still adhered to Nikon! so his point is somewhat valid. Although as I said, it's what you like, both manufacturers (Nikon and Canon) produce fantastic equipment, body and glass!

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  But my mommy and daddy aren't paying for my camera like your 300D.
                  Hmmm...since I bought all my gear myself with my money that I got from delivering newspapers for two year through 2 hurricanes and 1 blizzard. My mom and dad have bought me no camera equipment since my Kodak point and shoot which was a bday present. If my mom and dad had bought my gear I would have a 10D and a 100-400mm L instead of a 300D and a Sigma lens.

You are entitled to your opinion on glass quality. I'm happy with my decision.
                  Does Nikon really have an equivalent to L glass?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                    But my mommy and daddy aren't paying for my camera like your 300D.
                    Hmmm...since I bought all my gear myself with my money that I got from delivering newspapers for two year through 2 hurricanes and 1 blizzard. My mom and dad have bought me no camera equipment since my Kodak point and shoot which was a bday present. If my mom and dad had bought my gear I would have a 10D and a 100-400mm L instead of a 300D and a Sigma lens.

You are entitled to your opinion on glass quality. I'm happy with my decision.
                    Does Nikon really have an equivalent to L glass?
                    I stand corrected on buying your gear. That's awesome that you got it on your own and I really mean that . I don't know much about L glass by Canon but Nikon's top glass is called E.D. The 18-70 "kit" lens that comes with the D70 has that E.D. glass. Here's a bit on ED glass.

An essential element of Nikkor telephoto lenses, Nikon developed ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass to enable the production of lenses that offer superior sharpness and colour correction by minimising chromatic aberration. This type of image and colour dispersion occurs when light rays of varying wavelengths pass through optical glass. Each wavelength - or colour - has a different refractive index, which means that it will tend to enter or leave the air-to-glass or glass-to-air surface at a very slightly different angle. The result is that the light diverges (begins to spread) - instead of remaining as one ray of light, it becomes a miniature rainbow of colours. Naturally this has a major impact on the sharpness and contrast of the subject image, being particularly noticeable on sharp subject edges as colour fringing.

The longer the distance between lens elements, the more this divergence has an effect, so it's particularly critical that this be effectively addressed in telephoto lens design. In the past, correcting this problem for telephotos required special optical elements that offered anomalous dispersion characteristics (i.e. keeping the various wavelengths on the one path). Specifically these were calcium fluorite crystals; however fluorite easily cracks and its sensitivity to changes in temperature can adversely affect focusing by altering the lens' refractive index.

Over the last 30 years, Nikon has designed several types of ED glass to offer all the benefits of calcium fluorite glass with none of the drawbacks. ED lenses deliver stunning sharpness and contrast even at their largest apertures.

Comment

thanks for the explanation of the Nikon glass.

You're a Nikonite and I'm a Canonite. I grew up using an AE-1 film SLR before I moved to Digital. I guess most people stay with the line they've always had.

Comment

Nikon makes excellent glass Greg. And the same Sigma lens you cherish on your 300D also comes in Nikon mount aswell

Also, just to let it be known, had someone offered me a 300D for the same price as my D30, I would have said no. The D30 may have half the megapixels, but it has a proffesional look. The common man lacks the knowledge to differentiate this, so upon seeing the big black body is duly impressed. I found this makes a BIG difference when you show the camera to other people. The D30 is a solid camera, and after it I plan to get...a 1Ds mkII...

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                          ...The D30 is a solid camera, and after it I plan to get...a 1Ds mkII...
                          -Clovis
                          That 1D mkII is something. Burst depth of 20 Raw/40 JPG both at 8megapixels res AND 8.5fps! I wish I had that when I was at JFK for Concorde's last rev. arrivals/departures.

Comment

Clovis,

I think the point of a camera body is performance, not the fact that people think it is professional if you show it to them but that said, the D30 is an excellent camera.

Andrew

Comment

Andrew, I know that performance counted for me! What I'm saying is, to people who don't know...you look better with a D30 then a 300D. Pretty stupid...but its true for the most part. I need the custom functions of the D30 too...flash exposure compensation, manual white balance etc...

-Clovis

Comment

Working...
                              X