The importance of self screening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of self screening

I logged on this evening to do some screening as I frequently do and what was I confronted with? Over 50 shots of this aircraft.....

After 7h45, we arrive at OMA. N73544. Lockheed C-121C Super Constellation. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Before going any further I will say that the pictures themselves are not bad at all and Marc is a valued contributor to this site who mostly shoots Bizjets, but this is simply ridiculous-50 shots of the same aircraft

It is of vital importance that all of us (even us screeners) exercise the art of self screening in order to be fair to other uploaders and those who have to screen the pictures. All but the first few of Marc's shots are being rejected as similar because I do not have the time to cross examine his queued shots with what is already in the database, not only is it time consuming for me but it is unfair for me to spend so much time dealing with his pictures when there are over 1000 other pictures in the queue.

Marc, please learn from this-take another look at your shots and be much more picky about what you upload.

I know most people have the common sense not upload like this but if this situation were to happen again with another photographer the result would be the same. We don't want to be like other sites and have limits on what you can upload but too much of this sort of behaviour might change things.

Matt
    My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

And 15 of them were uploaded as 'hot' photos

Matt

Comment

50? Whoa!
      Will F.
      Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

This is what i try to do for self screening. It sometimes might not work and other times it might but follow this.....

1. Is it sharp. Try setting USM in PS to .2 and 500% and .3 and 300% and see which makes the image look better.

2. When you get the preview of the thumbnail... look at it and see if it looks centered on the thumbnail. Sometimes when you see the image in the large view it might look centered but is kinda off.

3. Does it look kinda dark. (it shouldn't)

Try that for self screening. This wouldn't stop rejections but might improve your chances for getting it in on the first try. If you get the rejection... just fix what the screeer says is the problem.

Comment

Paul that is merely standard photo processing, that I damn well hope all photographers go through.

The theory of self-screening is for photographers to go through their own photos while being realistic, as to whether or not the photos stand a chance at being in the database. Photographers NEED to be critical of their own work. Don't upload a series of photos, it becomes repetitive when certain photographers take the same 5 photos of every single plane that passes them...and then proceeds to upload ALL 5.

I am highly critical of my own work. My toughest critic, rarely will you see me upload any more than one photo of the same plane, even if all the shots I took were perfect.

Mark

Comment

Careful with that advice Kevin-we had an issue with one of our contributors in the last few days on that subject.

I'll detail the problem later-gotta work now

Matt

Comment

Whoa, 50 pics! Imagine how long it would of took the guy to upload them all

Just out of interest, what will the JP.net team say/do to the photographer for uploading that many pics of the exact same aircraft and in away, wasting the screener's time?

Comment

What happens is all the shots get rejected until the uploader learns the art of self screening.

If you upload 50 shots of the same plane we know about it straight away, we also know how many have been accepted and how many are yet to be screened.

With regard to centering a shot we have recently had dialogue with a contributor who felt that for a shot to be centred you have to have the aircraft's centre of gravity in the middle of the shot-while there may be some merit in this point of view the general standard here is for shots to be centred according to the wingtips, in other words there should be an equal amount of space on either side of the aircraft and also above and below it. There are obviously exceptions to any rule but in most cases the above will apply

Matt

Comment

IM critical of my work, out of my past 30 uploads ive had 4 rejections, 2 were at my request cause my computer didnt save and i uploaded a bad quality/poorly cropped adn the other two were for normal reasons, ive come a long way from 100 uploads 1 accepted
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Some people also upload many pictures of the same aircraft but taken at another day (ex. KLM aircraft at SPL, there are loads of them!). It's just my opinion but I don't think that you would like to see 50+ pictures of the same aircraft at the same airport..... But that's just me.
                    Personally I trie to upload the more intersting visitors at an airport or aircraft that that are new for me.

Rgds,
                    ErwinS

“The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Working...
                    X