Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longterm storage of a lens

Hi all,

I can buy a Minolta 300mm/4 APO G from my brother-in-law that has not been used for at least 6 yrs. During that time, it has been kept in it's box.
    Are there any concerns regarding the long time of not using the lens on a camera? I cannot try the lens, as we live a fair bit apart.

Regards,

Rob

The only problem i can see occuring is damp damage. If it has been kept with a few small packets of silocone gel there shouldnt be a problem, but if its kept in a damp/high humidity location im not to sure. Why dont you ask for a 1 week test period of the lense to make sure everythings working ok. take alot of smaple pictures and study them. check all the movable parts make sure theres no rust/corrosian or scraping of ballbearings. Just an overall maintanance check should be ok. If the lesne is good quality there should be no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
      The only problem i can see occuring is damp damage. If it has been kept with a few small packets of silocone gel there shouldnt be a problem, but if its kept in a damp/high humidity location im not to sure. Why dont you ask for a 1 week test period of the lense to make sure everythings working ok. take alot of smaple pictures and study them. check all the movable parts make sure theres no rust/corrosian or scraping of ballbearings. Just an overall maintanance check should be ok. If the lesne is good quality there should be no problems.
      Hi Dan,

What would you refine as a damp/humid location? The lens is in Holland, which has humid summers, but i never had any problems with my equipment there. But i do plan to drop it off at Minolta, if they can do a fast service as i will only be over there for two weeks.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Holland should be fine. I was thinking more of places like Caribbean or somewhere near warm salty air. This can cause minor corrosian but from what you say it shouldnt be a problem at all. I think letting minolta or a good camera shop look over it would be the best idea.

Comment

Working...
        X