Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo removed from database for incorrect info - Reasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo removed from database for incorrect info - Reasons?

I had a hotphoto N285CM accepted then removed from the database due to info being correct. I had the aircraft type listed as a Boeing 767-330(ER) and it is now a Boeing 767-330(ER)(BDSF). I found it strange the photo was flat out removed off the database when this was a simple fix that I or an admin could have completed once somebody reviewed the forum I put in to add this aircraft type to the database. When do new aircraft forums normally get reviewed?
    Last edited by bleuair; 2024-05-21, 20:00. Reason: Title amended

Sorry but before uploading any shot, you should check if the correct info is available for you to upload. If it is not there are options to request new data to be added. So before uploading.

Uploading with bad info messes up the autofill and adds more work to the workload of the team.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

I understand now, I resubmitted the exact same photo with the correct information but it was rejected. Makes no sense.

Comment

Yeah, I also had a hot photo rejected only due to bad info. Then, the second time, a backlit was invented. They simply doesn't want the photo.

In another thread a guy was asking about a bad info rejection in the serial number, the number was correct. It was said the problem was a few empty spaces in front of the number.

The screeners themselves complain about the pressure, the long queue, the appeals, but keep rejecting photos that will be appealed, that will be uploaded again..

Wasn't easier to just fix the info and accept the photo? The work is probably the same, but with less appeal, less re-upload, less frustrations from our side. As I said on one appeal, why don't help each other?

Comment

Originally posted by llpilch View Post
          Yeah, I also had a hot photo rejected only due to bad info. Then, the second time, a backlit was invented. They simply doesn't want the photo.

Wasn't easier to just fix the info and accept the photo? The work is probably the same, but with less appeal, less re-upload, less frustrations from our side. As I said on one appeal, why don't help each other?
          One of the issue that I have asked about several times is that all rejection reasons be posted the first time an image is rejected. I have had the same issue on several hot images over the years, rejected for horizon, correct the horizon and rejected for something else. Hopefully this is something that changes, but I agree that all reasons should be disclosed the first time.

On the second point however, I am going to disagree - hoping the screeners will correct incorrect information, etc. is almost going to promote the "I don't have to have everything correct when I send the submission in" mindset - don't worry, the screeners will fix it. I don't think that is something that should be left to the screeners. There are so many resources for us photographers to make sure the we check and submit the correct information. Imaging how the screening time will increase if the screeners have to validate and correct basic information. The onus is on us as the uploaders to make sure that we have everything. It is almost the same as totally relying on the auto-fill information - I personally never take that as gospel and make sure that everything is correct before I hit that submit button. Expecting screeners to just "fix the info" for us when we don't check it all is not a solution in my opinion.

Comment

The pleasure of splitting hairs ?
            Either N285CM is a 767-330(ER) and any other precision is absolutely useless, or it is a 767-3P6 (ER)(BDSF)...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLawrence View Post

One of the issue that I have asked about several times is that all rejection reasons be posted the first time an image is rejected. I have had the same issue on several hot images over the years, rejected for horizon, correct the horizon and rejected for something else. Hopefully this is something that changes, but I agree that all reasons should be disclosed the first time.

On the second point however, I am going to disagree - hoping the screeners will correct incorrect information, etc. is almost going to promote the "I don't have to have everything correct when I send the submission in" mindset - don't worry, the screeners will fix it. I don't think that is something that should be left to the screeners. There are so many resources for us photographers to make sure the we check and submit the correct information. Imaging how the screening time will increase if the screeners have to validate and correct basic information. The onus is on us as the uploaders to make sure that we have everything. It is almost the same as totally relying on the auto-fill information - I personally never take that as gospel and make sure that everything is correct before I hit that submit button. Expecting screeners to just "fix the info" for us when we don't check it all is not a solution in my opinion.
              Have to agree at some point, i'm sure there is a lot of lazy people who would act just like you said. But the screeners already do this job of validating, it is time spend in something necessary during the screening to keep the database reliable.

On my example, the guy had searched the correct serial number, it was just an empty space to be erased! That photo was screened, rejected, and might be uploaded to be screened again, doesn't it increase the screening time? Twice the same image.

In my case, I searched for the information and uploaded the aircraft model as I found it on the country's aviation regulation agency, which was the same on another website. I don't have a big history of bad info rejections. Had to upload again, more time for screening the same picture again...

Ok, my info was not correct, I appealed and didn't have to, i was wrong, but still not sure if it was really necessary to invent a backlit on the second time.

It's been almost two years that the queue is taking sometimes 2 or even 3 weeks... It's bad for the screeners, but is also bad for us, and doing this kind of avoidable rejections doesn't help to get the mood any better for anyone!

Comment

It's been almost two years that the queue is taking sometimes 2 or even 3 weeks... It's bad for the screeners, but is also bad for us, and doing this kind of avoidable rejections doesn't help to get the mood any better for anyone!
                Personally, I would not like being a screener at the moment if I was one. It is a thankless job the majority of the time. Yes, they agreed to do it and committed to a certain amount of time per week to screen images. However, they are not getting the support of FR24 at all at the moment and also, I am sure that being the start of the summer vacation period, they need breaks as well. Also, I personally wouldn't like to add to their workload in anyway - yes, there were a couple of spaces on the serial number, but in all honesty, that is something that has been around for a long long time, long before the queue started to grow so much. I've had it as well, and cursed it, but I realized my mistake.

Below are the statistics for the last 2 weeks of screening, the acceptance percentage has dropped from sometimes over 54% to now 42%. Because of the forum issues, people are just uploading everything, and everything has to to be screened. Anything to take the pressure off them, I'm personally for it, and I am not a screener.
                Total Screened: 3,004 % Accepted: 42.74%
                Total Accepted: 1,284 Total Rejected: 1,720
                Last edited by MarkLawrence; 2024-05-20, 16:45.

Comment

Just a small reply, regarding bad info, since that is the main topic here.

On appeals we CAN NOT add/change any info, so if it's bad then it will be a rejected appeal.
                  Further more, checking the info is the uploaders responsibility. But it seems especially with hot shot fever.... this gets forgotten and uploaded with bad info.
                  Which creates more workload to the database team.

And about filling data manually in, which screenrs can do, this is discouraged since it messes up the autofill option if there will be any typo. And most uploaders rely on the autofill feauture.

Now about getting a 2nd upload rejected for different reason, yes is annoying. But we are more then 25 plus screeners, so there will always be a variable.

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                    Just a small reply, regarding bad info, since that is the main topic here.
                    Now about getting a 2nd upload rejected for different reason, yes is annoying. But we are more then 25 plus screeners, so there will always be a variable.
                    There should be a rule like if a photo was rejected by X motive, the next screener should look only at it. It shows trust in the team actually.

Comment

Originally posted by lgabardo View Post

There should be a rule like if a photo was rejected by X motive, the next screener should look only at it. It shows trust in the team actually.
                      Most pictures are screened by at leat two screeners

Erwin

Comment

But the screeners already do this job of validating, it is time spend in something necessary during the screening to keep the database reliable.
                        Sorry to say, but that's not their main task. Screeners can expect that all data is correct and entered at time of upload. Most of the time, data is available in the www, there's plenty of sources. Some research by photographers can be expected. If nothing helps, the MSN is missing? Leave a note. Unsure about category? Leave a note. etc. Communicate, don't just expect "jp will fix it".

As was stated elsewhere, approx. 500shots are hot per day. Many are new liveries, stickers and the likes. All others, first-regs, first-types, first-fields, are to be checked. Three database editors in the team doing just that (and the seniors could technically change stuff, but they have other priorities). Changing wrong data, bringing random other locations together, reassign serial numbers, what not.

So besides enjoying the actual photos, us site users (including those clicking your shot on FR24) also appreciate when photographers are taking some work off the team by providing accurate data. EVERYONE appreciates if JP remains the leading database for aviation photography (with correct data) (:

Comment

Originally posted by bleuair View Post
                          EVERYONE appreciates if JP remains the leading database for aviation photography (with correct data) (:
                          I correct a lot of infos that I see is wrong, specially in business jets that are my focus. I can help also if you guys need more people on that. But regarding leading database, I can say that JP indexing on Google is awesome, but the search tool inside the website is awful, any plans to work on that in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by lgabardo View Post

I correct a lot of infos that I see is wrong, specially in business jets that are my focus. I can help also if you guys need more people on that. But regarding leading database, I can say that JP indexing on Google is awesome, but the search tool inside the website is awful, any plans to work on that in the future?
                            Sooo many things to fix/improve, that being one of them. I wish, but realistically...

Comment

On appeals we CAN NOT add/change any info, so if it's bad then it will be a rejected appeal.
                              Didn't know that, so, have to say: sorry!

And about filling data manually in, which screenrs can do, this is discouraged since it messes up the autofill option if there will be any typo. And most uploaders rely on the autofill feauture.
                              You mean, in my case, if the screener corrected the aircraft model, then for every new upload of that aircraft the autofill would show both the model I filled and the model the screener corrected? Even if it's the first photo of that reg?

Now about getting a 2nd upload rejected for different reason, yes is annoying. But we are more then 25 plus screeners, so there will always be a variable.​
                              Two things I respectfull wish to point out here:
                              If you, as a team, know it is annoying, why doing this? Unless it's totally necessary, something really bad that the first screener missed, if that "issue" wasn't mentioned first, perhaps it isn''t something to worry about. And 25 ~ 30 screeners is not a HUGE group of people, it is not THAT HARD to follow some standard. A "variable" is ok, but not the lack of standard we've seen sometimes. Plus, the group of senior screeners who judge the appeals is even smaller, but it is VERY difficult to see them reverting it on appeals. To be fair here, I have accepted appeals, but I have some rejected ones that I really thought could be accepted.

Getting away a little from the "bad info" theme but yet about the variable from the screeners, I believe I'm already poorly regarded here due to my complaints about the ANNOYING "too much or too little contrast" rejection, but why there are so many photos accepted with terrible weather, with clear contrast issues? I had photos rejected which was totally fine while I see pictures that I only believe they were accepted because I see it. Is it so difficult to create a standard about what can be accepted and what can not? Specially with the "hot fever" there are some shots accepted even with blurry plane, but I have some nice hot shots rejected for contrast. I see ugly pictures accepted and think "well, mine photo has better light, contrast, colors, should be accepted", then it's rejected. No problem if mine cloudy weather photos doesn't fit the site whishes, but then all cloudy weather photos should be screened equally, it isn't impossible to align that with 30 screeners, the site has guidelines which we must follow, so do the screeners, including for contrast related issues.

Those contrast rejections are the main reason why I'm getting so upset, but the trigger was this last rejection first for bad info (ok, my bad), later for backlit. There are hundreds or thousands of night shots like mine accepeted with similiar conditions, for the first screener himself the light wasn't a problem, then suddenly the photo is backlit, makes no sense. The screeners doesn't agree with each other sometimes in simples things.
                              JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 6 million screened photos online!

Comment

Working...
                              X