Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camera

Hello,
    Just writing a quick question. Would the Canon EOS 80D and Canon 75-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 EF III be a good camera for planespotting?
    Thanks!​

Camera yes, but that lens is not great. I'd look for a used 70-200 f4 L for $350 usd, or get the EF-S 55-250, which will be cheaper.

Comment

Go for a lens that has image stabilization.

Comment

Originally posted by jakerepp View Post
        Camera yes, but that lens is not great. I'd look for a used 70-200 f4 L for $350 usd, or get the EF-S 55-250, which will be cheaper.
        So maybe it would be worth getting a slightly cheaper Canon 60D and get a better lens? Thanks

Comment

70-200 f4 L for $350 usd, - that would definitely be a great combo - Now is 200mm enough at your local spots ?
          Many great shots on this website have been taken by the 75-300 but it's not as good as the 70-200 imho

Comment

Originally posted by KapiA View Post

So maybe it would be worth getting a slightly cheaper Canon 60D and get a better lens? Thanks
            Well what is your overall budget, and as Alex implied, what airport would you primarily be spotting at?

Comment

It's always all damn relative. What's good for me may not be good for you. For example. Most of my photos accepted here were taken with an EOS 70D and Canon efs 55-250mm lens. It was a good cost/benefit compromise. Then I switched to a full frame 6D MkII and a tamron 100-400, then I switched to an R6 MkII and EF 100-400. everything, obviously, not only for plane spotting but also for photography in general.
              I advise you to try not to spend a lot and start with a good used one. Then you will check "in the field" what might be best suited to you.
              Unless you have an unlimited budget at your disposal, then, in this case, you don't need advice.​

Comment

Hey just wanted to use this to ask some questions. Anyone else here have a EOS 90D for plane spotting? If so does anyone have tips for me? I had a Rebel T7 and just switched to the 90D. My main Lens is a Sigma 150-600 and then canon 55-250. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jakerepp View Post

Well what is your overall budget, and as Alex implied, what airport would you primarily be spotting at?
                  Budget would be around 600$, I'd be spotting at EPPO Lawica airport, the spotting hill is not far away from the runway so 200 - 300 lens would suffice.

Comment

I'd go for a 70D and a 55-250 IS-STM or a 70-200 F4L. Not sure what 70D's run these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X