Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining the digital revolution with a Sony F717!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the digital revolution with a Sony F717!

Hi all!! I just bought my first real digital camera.. ..a Sony F717. As I mentioned, it's my first "real" digital camera..(previous one is basically a webcam!).
    I have 2 Pentax (ME Super, a classic; and a ZX-5) SLRs with lenses and the whole thing...but I needed the flexibility of a digital...soo my SONY it will soon be arriving in the mail!!!
    Now...for all the F717 owners...any thoughts on tip, tricks, your experience, etc on this niiiice model???
    CostaRicaAviation.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Hey! Great to see another F717 user! Just a few tips I would say include:

:: Get a UV filter
    :: Use the EVF viewfinder when shooting, not the LCD. LCDs are better for composing the shot of a still life or landscape. For almost all cameras, using the viewfinder will stablize the camera and give you a better, close up picture of the object.
    :: If you haven't, look for some deals online or in the stores for Memory Sticks. Don't bother getting the Sony brand name. You're only paying for just that--the brand name. I have 2x Lexar 256MB sticks.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to answer them!
    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Re: Joining the digital revolution with a Sony F717!

Originally posted by aquiros
      any thoughts on tip, tricks, your experience, etc on this niiiice model???
      Practice, read manual, practice again, read manual again.

RTFM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips...

I picked up my camera today at the Post Office...and then I gave it a try at MIA. Battery was a little down and I didn't have much time but I got to take a couple of practice shots.

Turns out that since the F717 is 58mm, I can use some of my old Pentax filters (circular polarizer, skylight, and even the lens hood!). BTW what's the difference between the skylight and the UV filters?
        The MemSticks I'm using are my old ones from my Sony Clie 665C, I got 2 128mb which are enough for me. I think eventually would love to get the 2x telephoto (anyone with experience with this accessory?)

RTFM...True, true. Very important! But actually the guy how send it forgot to put it in..so I'm waiting for it. Anyways, I have used Sony cameras before and they all work the same.

CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

And buy a tele converter. I have an F707 and most of the times I use my tele converter for aircraft shots.

ErwinS
          “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

If you are thinking about a tele-converter get a 1.7x. Anything 2x for the F717 is garbage, trust me. I use the Sony 1.7x converter and it works great.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1219

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have been playing around with the camera these couple of days (I got it on Tuesday morning) and I love it!. The quality of the pics is incredible..and the zoom is not so bad...for sure my next investment will be the Sony Teleconverter
              oh and guys...BTW what's the difference between the skylight and the UV filters?

Here's one of my first pics:

Grupo Taca A320

(any comments are welcome)

This is just using the 5x zoom.

Thanks again....
              CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

Good pic but the heat haze kills it otherwise.

Comment

Yeah, as it has been said, 1.7x from Sony is better than any other. The only competitor, but lacks in quality, is the Olympus TCON-14B (I think those numbers are correct). Good luck! Great Take A Chance Airlines. Ohh, sorry--TACA.
                  CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Here is MY FIRST DIGITAL PIC accepted into JP.net!!!!!

[photoid=292733]

CheckSix...I KNOW want you mean!!! hahahaha
                    Thanks all for the tips and comments.
                    CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

Nice shot man!

Comment

Aquiros, drop me a PM if your interested in the 1.7x teleconverter for the Sony. $150, used obviously.

Comment

wow! that shot is great!!

Comment

Originally posted by SWA733Captain
                            Aquiros, drop me a PM if your interested in the 1.7x teleconverter for the Sony. $150, used obviously.
                            Hey Scott, thanks for the offer..but I don't plan to buy anything else right now. My car just decided to trow off the alignments and apparently is a rack/pinion issue. So now I need to play mechanic. I'll also be changing the lower control arms and some bushings.

Thanks Greg and 777Captain! I was really surprised when I saw the plane coming on the taxiway. I love that paint job.
                            CostaRicaAviation.com

Comment

Working...
                            X