Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunset shots.......

Hi all,

I would like to take some 'composition shots' aircraft with the sun near the horizon, is this safe for the CCD....?

thanks for your thoughts,

Steve
    cheers, Steve

Aircraft radio hobby:
    HF/UHF/VHF a/c radio voice / datalink, Airnav ACARS & Seldec / PCHDL HF datalink.

'Squitter' ARINC 635-3 HF data-link protocol.

Hi Steve

I know that Nikon don't recomend pionting the camera stright into the sun (Nikon D100) because the CCD can be damaged, but I've seen lots of shots taken with digital cameras where the sun is in the picture So I guess its up to you to try and hope for the best
    Regards
    Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Hi Soren,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, I was thinking with the sun
      being close to sunset there would be less power in the light source ...
      still be best not to push my luck..
      cheers, Steve

Aircraft radio hobby:
      HF/UHF/VHF a/c radio voice / datalink, Airnav ACARS & Seldec / PCHDL HF datalink.

Comment

The thing to do in such cases is to compose in your mind without looking through the viewfinder, then bring up the camera, stabalise and take the picture all in a fraction of a second, and bring the camera out of the path of the sun again.
        The main danger is not so much to the CCD (though it too can suffer damage, one more reason to stick with film ) but the heat that's focussed and amplified inside the lens.
        It can damage your optics, your light meter, and worst of all your eyes quite easily.

When you look into the rising or setting sun you might see an afterimage on your retina even when not looking through your camera or binoculars.
        That's the beginning of damage (it fades, is temporary, but if you had looked a bit longer or had used that amplifier it would have been permanent!).

Comment

Thanks for your input, I will think of some other shot instead, maybe just after sunset, not going to risk damaging anything, glad I posed this question here first...
          cheers, Steve

Aircraft radio hobby:

Comment

Working...
          X