Camera choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera choices

Ok...I have quite a dillema. I currently use the fuji 2800Z and will be moving onto a new camera this summer. Out of the choices that I have on base here, I have narrowed it down to the Sony F-828 and the 300D.

When looking at image quality, its quite obvious that I should go for the 300D. While the 828 isn't bad in that department, it does have a few problems with noise and chromatic abrasions (acording to reviews I have read). The only reason I am more inclined to go with the sony is because this summer I'm not sure how much money I will be making and I dont think i'll be able to afford a zoom lens of much quality.

Basically the choice comes down to the Sony 828 because I do not have to buy any extra lenses and such. Or the 300D but with the short lens that comes with it, and a cheap zoom lens later on this summer (by later, i mean probably August).

I really dont know which way I should go on this one which is why I'm posting this on here. Feel free to add any thoughts or comments.

Thanks

Go with the 300D! You won't regret it. You have the flexiblity of changing lens to one that fits your needs. Plus images from Canon D-SLRs kicks ass! I just got the D30 used from ebay (a cheaper alternative if you can't afford the 300D, they go for btw. $600-$700) and I was blown away by the quality compared to the Olympus C-730. I recommend the 28-105 II USM for the short lens (about $220) if you don't get the kit and 70-300 III USM for the long lens(under $200). Hope this helps!
    Click Here for my aviation photographs.
    No Frontiers

Comment

Go for the Rebel.

You could also look at second hand D30's or D60's.

DSLR's are clearly a step above a point and shoot. The D30's 3mp even beat the 828's 8mp.

Comment

Get the 300D.

Comment

Why not give the D70 a chance? Don't wanna spend the extra $100? It's better than the Rebel in many categories. I love my D70.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Uh oh. Another Nikon vs. Canon thread. :P
            George R. Widener
            Oshkosh, WI USA
            Aircraft Photos Here
            Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

George, are you trying to copy my signature banner?
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

no George. Or is any thread that even mentions both brands an attempt at starting a war?

It's fact that just about every review out there calls the D70 superior in every respect to the 300D whether Canon likes it or not.
                They're more in agreement than anytime in the past when they hailed the latest Canon invention in fact...

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  Why not give the D70 a chance? Don't wanna spend the extra $100? It's better than the Rebel in many categories. I love my D70.
                  The D70 is indeed better than the 300D feature wise and build quality wise. However, Emu did mention that he has a small budget. If he gets the 300D (or D30/D60), he can spend the money saved towards lenses, which is more important IMO. In the end, the images from both brands are comparable.
                  Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                  No Frontiers

Comment

You can go for the 300D, Nikon D70 or D30. All will give you absolutely fantastic image quality. The EFS 18-55mm that comes with the 300D is a good little lens, and due to the crop factor (x 1.6) actually gives you about 88mm at the long end.

It's important to think about what you want to do with the camera in the future. When you commit to either Nikon or Canon you're committing to a system - look at the lenses available for each. You may be dropping money for a budget zoom early on, but as your hobby grows you'll start looking at the heavy stuff: Make sure whatever brand you choose supports it.

Comment

D70 with lenses will cost the same (give or take a hundred or so at most) as a 300D with equivalent lenses...

The idea that Nikon is expensive has been overtaken by events years ago.

Comment

I would get a D30 and save the extra money on some nice glass and good memory. Think about extra battery and such aswell.

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by jwenting
                          no George. Or is any thread that even mentions both brands an attempt at starting a war?
                          Did I say that? I was joking. Jeesh.
                          Personally I happen to like both, I just chose to buy a Canon due to availability and my prior familiarity with their products.
                          George R. Widener
                          Oshkosh, WI USA
                          Aircraft Photos Here
                          Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                            Of course not, Will. My NWA DC9 doesn't have winglets.
                            Actually I just came up with the sig from one of my shots, but I can see the similarity.
                            George R. Widener
                            Oshkosh, WI USA
                            Aircraft Photos Here
                            Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by pullin4u
                              Originally posted by Crazy764
                              Of course not, Will. My NWA DC9 doesn't have winglets.
                              Actually I just came up with the sig from one of my shots, but I can see the similarity.
                              Hehehe
                              Will F.
                              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X