Looking for a good short/medium lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good short/medium lens

Well, I havn't the money for a 24-70 2.8 L (which I have seen is clearly the best), but rather than settle with a crappy 28-80 mkV, I am looking at the 24-85 USM. I have heard many good things about it, being a great value for the price (320$), and the extra 4mm at the wide end is appealing.

Any ideas?

-Clovis

Also consider the Canon 17-40 f/4 and Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

You can also check out Fred Miranda's site for reviews:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Comment

Sigma 28-70mm 2.8 sells for 250-300 bucks on ebay.
      greetings,
      Philip

Comment

How bout the 28-135?

Comment

and Tamron 28-70 (if I'm correct) F/2.8 Di

Comment

Clovis,

With my Nikon D100 I have a 24-85mm Nikkor lens, don't get me wrong it is an incredible lens, but for me the range is not the most appealing. I generally find myself requiring something smaller.

I don't think you will notice that extra 5mm at the long end of it.

Comment

I don't think you will notice that extra 5mm at the long end of it.
              24x1.6 equates to about 38.3mm, or roughly what the C-730 offered me at the wide end, with which I was able to take shots like this:

[photoid=187257] While all the DSLR shooters with 28-80s had to opt for this:

[photoid=186862]

And, even if I go for a 17-40L I am still missing alot between 40 and 75mm... I have a 350$ budget, and am looking to buy new/grey market equipment.

-Clovis

Comment

You can order the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 from Delta International: http://www.deltainternational.com/st...24%2D70CDF.htm
                for around 364+ shipping. I got my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and 550EX flash from them, no problems. I think that is a better lens than my Canon 24-85. Wanna buy mine so I can get the Sigma?

Comment

I love the Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 ATX. Great piece of glass for a very decent price.

Comment

oi you gimp, you had a big go at me for buying a "grey market" canon lens. Dam hypocrite

Comment

Working...
                    X