No announcement yet.

Tapping shutter release to keep focus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping shutter release to keep focus?

I was wondering if it is good practise to keep tapping the sutter release button on an slr to keep the focus whilst panning (but not shooting).
    I only did this as the ai-servo does not really detect movement at all and it has to continuous focus.
    Yesterday I borrowed my frineds slr and shot a roll of slide film and am waiting for the lab to scan and send back the results.
    Thanks,
    Ari
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

You may find burst mode useful for these situations - the AF usually refocuses between frames. For panning shots at SOU, I usually shoot single mode at 200mm; as I follow the aircraft onto the threshold I need to pull back to around 175-180 to fit it all in - I'm using a 300d and it's never caused me any trouble with focusing response in any mode (so far). The hard part for me is making sure the pan is consistent and steady so the camera can do it's job.

Comment

I use burst (continuous) mode as well when panning for shots.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Thanks.
        Do they make a film slr with continuous focusing - I know cannon and nikon have made a system which can detect movement and refocus, but it is pathetic as mentioned before.
        I was thinking of something more pricey than the n55 I used yesterday - maybe an elan7?
        Thanks for any answers,
        Ari
        Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

Comment

Originally posted by Burrd255314
          Thanks.
          Do they make a film slr with continuous focusing - I know cannon and nikon have made a system which can detect movement and refocus, but it is pathetic as mentioned before.
          I was thinking of something more pricey than the n55 I used yesterday - maybe an elan7?
          Thanks for any answers,
          Ari
          I have a Nikon N80 and it has a "continuous servo" mode of focus that will focus on new subjects as you hold the shutter button half-way. I found it very useful. The price is similar to the Elan 7.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

The system you are talking about is not pathetic.
            Just know how to use it. And there is a lot of difference in the AI Focus (thats what its called) units used in a Canon 1v and the one in a Canon 30.

The 1v is a lot more expensive, but it has the best AI type focus unit in the world. You will not be able to throw off the AI focus with that thing...

Wietse
            Trying to keep the edge...

Comment

Working...
            X