Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any film slr users out there?

Hi,
    yesterday I shot my first ever roll of slide film. It is in a lab now being developed and scanned
    What I would like to know however is if there is an slr out there capable of continuous focus? I used a borrowed one yesterday, and it couldn't track a moving object and refocus at all really.
    I know Cannon and Nikon both have a system where if the camera senses movement, it will move to ai-servo, but it is impossible to engage this! Even just trying it out outside, I focussed on something close to me and them zoomed to a further object and it was out of focus even with the shutter depressed!!!
    Thanks alot,
    Ari
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

I use Kodachrome 64 slide film and Fuji Provia 100F slide film. I have a Nikon N70, N80 and F100 and have the option on the F100 to have continuous focus if I choose to. They focus system on that camera is really fast also. Here is a little information on the focusing system for the F100:

Focusing screen: B-type BriteView clear Matte screen III, interchangeable with optional E-type screen with grid

Autofocus: TTL phase detection, Nikon Multi-CAM1300 autofocus module; Detection range: EV -1 to EV +19 (ISO 100, at normal temperature)

AF Servo: Single Servo AF (S), Continuous Servo AF (C), Manual focus (M); Focus Tracking with Lock-On™ automatically activated in subject’s status in Single Servo AF (S) or Continuous Servo AF (C)

Focus area: One of five focus areas can be selected

AF Area mode: Single Area AF and Dynamic AF (Dynamic AF Mode with Closest Subject Priority is available)

Focus lock: Focus is locked by pressing Focus-Lock button or lightly pressing shutter release button in Single Servo AF

Metering system: TTL full-aperture exposure metering system; three metering systems selectable (limitations with lens used): 10 segment, 3D Matrix Metering, Center-Weighted Metering (75% of the meter’s sensitivity concentrated on the 12mm dia. circle) and Spot Metering (4mm dia. circle, approx. 1% of entire frame)

Metering range: 3D Matrix Metering: EV 0-21; Center-Weighted Metering: EV 0-21; Spot Metering: EV 3-21 (at normal temperature, ISO 100, 50mm f/1.4 lens)

Comment

I have a Nikon N80 but I'll be selling it now that I have the D70.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Thanks alot,
        Is the f100 the cheapest one with continuous focusing?
        I also shot provia 100.
        Thanks alot,
        Ari

Comment

Originally posted by Burrd255314
          Thanks alot,
          Is the f100 the cheapest one with continuous focusing?
          I also shot provia 100.
          Thanks alot,
          Ari
          I think the F80/N80's cheaper than the F100.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Are there any Canon's which have this feature?
            It really is a problem, but I suppose it can be avoided by refocusing quickly often enough. I think I will try out the canon 3000V tomorrow - I don't really see the difference between it and the 300v?
            All I basically need is a camera with quick autofocus.
            Thanks,
            Ari

Comment

Not sure about low-end Canon gear, but "normal" stuff (eg. Elan 7E) and higher all have it...

Comment

Another film user here.
                I currently have Nikon F75 with AF 28-80G and AF 70-300G(yeah, I know, cheap glass but still better than some digi point & shoot...)
                I use mainly Sensia 100 for my slides and if my wealth allows, Velvia 50.

And about autofocus...It could be faster but I have not lost a shot because of bad autofocus yet... Almost any SLR with AF and almost any glass is fast enought for shooting planes. Then of course if you want to do low light action shooting, this might not be the case. But in ~normal sunlight etc. All AF SLR's focus fast(when compared to any point & shoot). Some of you that use pro gear might find it amusing that I use word "fast" even with very low end SLR's. I used a point & shoot before...after that any SLR _is_ fast.
                http://ovp.fi

Comment

Me. REBEL K2. I haven't gone out ot the airport yet because I'm waiting for my 75-300mm lense.

Comment

Canon AE-1P with a 50mm f/1.4

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                      I have a Nikon N80 but I'll be selling it now that I have the D70.
                      I also have a Nikon N80 and am very happy with it. Lately I have been using the Kodak High Definition 400 film and have been happy with the results I have been getting with that film.
                      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I've got both an F80 and an F100 so if you want to know specifics about differences don't be afraid to ask.

Current owner of 3 film SLRs and a digicrap :P

Comment

I'll laugh when I see you calling it digicrap another five years from now...

-clovis

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                            Is there a way to enable a focus lock beep like on the canon?
                            I find it hard to look through the veiwfinder and also down at the info being displayed in it.
                            I cannot decide if to get Canon or Nikon ir not because I want it for farnborough 2004. I can rent the canon 35-350Lism or the sigma 50-500 for the nikon.
                            This is of course not the only factor, but when I get a dslr in a few years from now, I wonder which manufacturer will have the edge?
                            Thanks,
                            Ari

Comment

Hi..well I have 2 Pentax SLRs (a classic MESuper and a MZ-5) with 28-105, 70-320 and a 50mm; I also have a new Sony F717 5MP digital. I must probalby be the ONLY person with a Pentax around here..!

I used to shoot both paper and slides, but now with the digital, my SLRs are going to get a break. Not sure if to get rid of them or keep them...I'l probably keep'em (I seem to have a problem getting rid of old stuff anyways!)
                              CostaRicaAviation.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                              X