Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon 300D or Canon D30, Which One Should I Go For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 300D or Canon D30, Which One Should I Go For?

Hi all,

At the moment I'm using a Sony Mavica FD200, which only has 2MP, 3x optical zoom and 3x digi zoom. Now and again I can get one or two decent shots with it, but I've realised that I now desperately need a better camera.

I'd now like a DSLR and my prefered options are either the 300D, or the D30.

The lens seems to be sorted, I've got a friend who's said I could buy his 75-300mm off him, so that's not really an issue.

I've tried to choose by comparing each of them, but both have got good and bad points and I really can't decide. Obviously a D30 would be second hand and might not of been looked after too well previously, so that's something that I'd have to take into account. The 300D doesn't come cheap either But I just want to see what you think overall about which one I should choose and why.

Please note, I'm only 15 so I'm not really old enough to start a full-time job just yet, so I'm not earning much money at the moment

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards. EGCC

EDIT - The poll's messed up, just choose either of the first two options.
    Canon 300D
    100.00%
    Canon D30
    0.00%

Dale,

First off.............Your pics have improved alot over the past month or so........hats off to you, keep up the good work!

Second.........I think it comes down to how much you are able to spend, either way both cameras are excellent. But the 6.3MP of the 300D sure is nice, I've had mine for a week and love it!

Comment

Get the 300D Dale.

Comment

Get the 300D... then get the 300D hacked firmware! It's still being worked on by the guy that makes it and so far he has enabled many 10D features such as RAW+JPEG size selection, FEC, MLU, ISO3200 ect... but when the final version of the hack comes out it will have pretty much all the 10D features enables you will pretty much have a silver, plastic 10D!!!

Comment

Doesn't the hack void your warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by c72
            Doesn't the hack void your warranty?
            The warranty lasts for a year and usually your gonna have problems after that year is up... so it wont even matter. Also you can flash back to the "official" 300D firmware anytime so it wouldn't matter.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys

Well, it looks like I should go for the 300D, no question about it! The only problem is, the cheapest I've seen one at is £750 with an 18-55mm lens and I've been told to buy the 18-55 with it, "cos I'll need it." I'm only 15 so money isn't really coming at me fast enough and I'm only allowed to work 1 night a week, because I can't do full time work due to my age I've thought about it even more, and have admitted to myself that I would prefer a 300D It's just the price

My mum and dad have said they'll help me out a tiny bit, but only a "tiny bit" 'cos I'm already having the LAX trip as an early birthday present (my birthday is in August). I'm hoping to start working more hours once I'm 16 so then hopefully, I could afford either the 300D or the D30 quicker, but I'd like the 300D

All the best. Dale.

Comment

Whilst a shiny new 300D would be nice with it's 6Mp etc if money is that much of an issue then I would suggest you go for the D30.

OK, it's 'Only' got 3.2Mp but it's still a fine camera and takes excellent pictures. For examples I would recommend you check out Clovis' shots..... or even mine!

hth

Rez

Comment

Originally posted by EGCC
                  The only problem is, the cheapest I've seen one at is £750 with an 18-55mm lens and I've been told to buy the 18-55 with it, "cos I'll need it."
                  Why do you need it? If your just using the camera for aviation photography just stick with the 75-300 (which i'll be doing) and don't bother with the default canon lens, i've been told by one Canon 300D user that he almost never uses the 18-55 lens.

Comment

I'd say get a D30 and spend the majority of the money on the lenses. It is important to get good glass, like L glass. If you go with the D30, say for about 500-700USD, then you can get a 100-400 or the 70-200, both which are over which are around 1200-1600USD. If you go with a 300D, then you'll have a little less money to spend on glass. You can then always upgrade the body down the road, say in a year or two. The glass is the important thing. A D30 and great glass is better than a 300D and crumy glass.

I'd choose a D30 over the 300D any day.
                    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT
                      The only problem is, the cheapest I've seen one at is £750 with an 18-55mm lens and I've been told to buy the 18-55 with it, "cos I'll need it."
                      Why do you need it? If your just using the camera for aviation photography just stick with the 75-300 (which i'll be doing) and don't bother with the default canon lens, i've been told by one Canon 300D user that he almost never uses the 18-55 lens.
                      The 18-55 is useful for other stuff such as walking around or i like to do some flower macros and stuff... or stuff thats close by such as if you go to an airshow and there is a static display, and also infight/wingview and cockpit shots... 75mm is no good for that.

Get the 18-55.... good lens for $100

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                        Originally posted by GrantT
                        The 18-55 is useful for other stuff such as walking around or i like to do some flower macros and stuff... or stuff thats close by such as if you go to an airshow and there is a static display, and also infight/wingview and cockpit shots... 75mm is no good for that.

Get the 18-55.... good lens for $100
                        That's exactly what I was gunna say A320 That's the thing, I'm not going to use it for just aviation photography. It's just nice to have a change from shooting aircraft pics all of the time Grant. I still want to take pics of them, don't get me wrong, but it's just nice to take pics of something else from time to time So if I do get the 18-55, I think it'll come in handy, like everyone's said
                        _____________________________________________________________

Thanks for the advice fellas

I think the 300D is just too much £££ for me, so it's looking more and more like I'll be getting the D30. I think I'm going to take your advice, CheckSix and buy a 300D in a few years time and maybe spend the rest of my money on D30 accessories.

BTW, now we've sorted that problem out a little more ^^^ could you please now advise me on where I can get a cheap price/good quality D30? Thanks in advance

All the best. Dale.

Comment

Hey Dale,

I think about the only place to get a D30 would be e-bay.

Comment

Are you guys forgetting the D30's older brother? Mr D60?
                            Im sure you can pick one up cheap on e-bay. Bloddy fine camera to if i say so myself

Comment

Heres a rough price guide:

-D30 (used) 600-700$
                              -Canon 75-300 III USM 170$
                              -256MB CF ~ 50$
                              -Canon 28-80 mkV 85$
                              -Extra battery (1500mAh generic) ~ 20$

Total is around 900-1000 USD

-Clovis

Comment

Working...
                              X