Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

camera settings for jet photography (EOS 300D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camera settings for jet photography (EOS 300D)

Hello,

I was just wondering, what cam settings do you use, and why?
    Do you use auto exposure mode, or some of the manual modes (what settings and why...).
    The reason I am asking this question is because I just have added a Sigma 100-300 f4 and Sigma 1.4x TC to my collection.
    I am planning to use it this Friday at the open days at Volkel and I am specially interested in photographing jets like the F-16 and prop planes.
    It wil probably be very cloudy and they are expecting some rain .
    If my pics are any good i will add them to my profile.
    Thanks.

Menno
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=8994

Use Av and set the aperture to f/8 or f/9 (most lenses seem to perforem the best at around these apertures) and check your shutter speed to make sure the camera is setting it about 1/320 or higher. I use ISO200.

Cloudy weather is bad so it is kinda hit or miss, use ISO400 and Cloudy WB... i hate shooting in bad weather. If there is a static display concentrate on getting those... and use ISO200 if your shooting staic stuff.

Comment

if you want more answers check out the thread i made a couple of days ago:

Comment

Av setting would be what I chose as well. Although I use 100 iso. Even in the not so sunny UK, it still gives a high enough shutter speed most of the time. (No I don't have expensive wide apature L Series lenses)
        I leave the camera on one shot 'film' advance and find that it works better than hoping the AI Focus will realise that I am taking a photo of a moving object, because to be frank it never seems to!
        I have used the Action mode as well, although not on aircraft, it seems to work OK, and although it forces you to use 400iso, theres not too much noise.

Bernie

Comment

When it comes to the processing part on the 300D (Or Digital Rebel- Im not ashamed to say Rebel!) does anyone use Perameter 1 or 2? or should I just shoot in Adobe RGB? thanks!
          -JJR

Comment

Originally posted by JJR
            When it comes to the processing part on the 300D (Or Digital Rebel- Im not ashamed to say Rebel!) does anyone use Perameter 1 or 2? or should I just shoot in Adobe RGB? thanks!
            -JJR
            I use RAW....

Or if you need to shoot JPEG just use Parameter 1..... don't use Adobe RGB.

Comment

well, that explains alot.... Ive been shooting in adobe RGB.... should I take my foot out of my mouth now? thanks for all your help paul!

Comment

Can someone help me with the main differences between Parameter1, parameter 2 and adobe RGB?
                I mean what sets them apart? what makes one better than the other? I currently use Adobe RGB

Regards Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Southwell
                  Can someone help me with the main differences between Parameter1, parameter 2 and adobe RGB?
                  I mean what sets them apart? what makes one better than the other? I currently use Adobe RGB

Regards Matt
                  Read: P.55 of the Canon 300D manual

Comment

Working...
                  X