Is the extra 300 bucks worth the IS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the extra 300 bucks worth the IS?

hey all, finally returned that hunk o'Garbage lens I got tricked into buying..... im looking at 2 lenses right now, the 75-300 III and the 75-300 IS USM..... Is the quality in the IS lense that much better than the III? I know this discussion has probably been talked about 1,000 times but I couldnt find a post adressing my concerns..... thanks for lettin' me flap my trap!!!!

-Frogman

I had the 75-300mm IS and the non IS one too. I would go for the one without Stabilizer. There really is not much difference, only on L glass it is a huge improvement from what I have heard.
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

IS is personal preference.

Some swear by it, others don't care for it.

I don't feel it is worth the money for something that drains your batteries.

Comment

I'd think I want it on the L glass...but not the plain old USM.
        Ahhh...L glass....must...have...it...soon....
        George R. Widener
        Oshkosh, WI USA
        Aircraft Photos Here
        Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Yep i'd agree, having tried both versions of the 75-300 i wouldnt bother with the IS. Like some have said it really comes into its own on the L series. Especialy the 100-400

Comment

WOW! thanks for your help in figuring out what I need.... I was sure that the IS glass would be the popular one to get but my peers have proved me wrong!!! heres the deal... I have read that the almighty powerful "L" glass isnt all that much better up around the appertures we use ( well, I use ) F8... in the pictures Ive seen there is a noticable diffrence between the 2, but not one warrenting 1,000 dollars more....

I know not everything you read is true but what do you guys think??

I was looking at my finances, and I was willing to drop $539 USD on the one w/ IS..... and I just figured out that If I didnt have to pay rent, the phone bill and Electric/Gas bills..... hot damn Id have atleast The 70-200L glass this week......... ha ha lifes a biotch!!!!!

still thinkin bout savin my pennies for another few weeks...
            DAMN I WISH I COULD SELL THAT STUPID DIRTBIKE.....
            thats my 100-400L right there.....
            thanks again all
            -Frogman

Comment

You could always shoot for the 70-200 f/4L, which is about the same price as the 75-300 IS.

The IS on the 75-300 doesn't help with panning.
              My photos on jp.net

Comment

Originally posted by PortColumbus
                You could always shoot for the 70-200 f/4L, which is about the same price as the 75-300 IS.

Yea.... i have the 70-200 F/4L... great lens.

Comment

Oh but it does

[photoid=266753]

The IS is a great tool when shooting. If money isn't an issue, go with the IS.

-Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                    Oh but it does

[photoid=266753]

The IS is a great tool when shooting. If money isn't an issue, go with the IS.

-Adam
                    Not really, and you can still make a great shot without IS. The expensive "L" lenses have 2-mode IS. Mode 2 IS detects panning and compensates for shake. The 75-300 doesn't have a 2-mode IS, if I'm not mistaken.
                    My photos on jp.net

Comment

Not really, and you can still make a great shot without IS. The expensive "L" lenses have 2-mode IS. Mode 2 IS detects panning and compensates for shake. The 75-300 doesn't have a 2-mode IS, if I'm not mistaken.
                      I don't have an IS lense that has the "Panning" IS. I do however know that while panning with the IS on on my 75-300... you just have to wait for the IS to recenter the image before "click." It really is a personal preference. I trust an IS in my hand since my hands aren't rock solid still.

-Adam

Comment

OK while on the subject of lens, now don't everyone laugh at me but I was looking around Walmart the other day, ("you know the place where they sell walls") Any way I came across this lens http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A3959%3A119336

anyone know if its any good?

And this one also --------->

Comment

Well i dono about the vivitar one... but the canon one is what most ppl here use... but walmart has it waaaay overpriced $248.57 . Walmart sucks... the prices aren't even that low and the store always looks like an earthquake hit it... and thier happy employee ads are so stupid

Buydig has it for $149
                          Buy the Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

Comment

I bought my 24-85 and my 75-300 through buydig...always have good experiences with them.

-Clovis

Comment

Working...
                            X