Long Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Lenses

I'm finally making the switch to digital tonight! I'm going to be ordering a Canon Digitial Rebel and am also looking at picking up a longer lense.

The rebel comes with the short range lense 18-55mm but Im going to need a 300 plus mm lense for spotting. What is the general consensus on a sub $500 lense in both up to 300mm and 400mm?

I've seen in past posts the 75-300mm Canon 4.0-5.6 III has been recommended, but are there affordable 400mm lenses out there as well?

Besides the basics, big storage cards, etc....what else would you all recommend picking up for the camera?

Thanks!! I plan on ordering by tonight....I can't wait to get it, read up on the specific and start shooting digitial!!

-Rich

Canon 75-300mm is a great lens to start out with. The below picture was taken with a Digital rebel and Canon 75-300mm. price? $130

[photoid=289918]

To get up to 400mm I got a Sigma 135-400mm. No IS on this lens but it gets you up to 400mm. The picture below was taken with Digital Rebel and Sigma 135-400mm. Price? $330 on ebay

[photoid=312042]

Good luck.

Comment

Greg...thanks for the information. $330 on ebay? What is the going rate from ergular retailers (B&H, etc.)? Hmm...guess I'll go check myself right now. :P

Thanks again!

-Rich

Comment

If you don't REALLY need 300mm+, I look at the 70-200 f/4L ($549 from B&H). Once you go L, you never go back.

Save up for a 1.4x converter and you'll have 280mm.

Gary Watt on Anet has some nice shots with the Sigma 170-500mm, but that is $649 at B&H.
        My photos on jp.net

Comment

Originally posted by PortColumbus
          Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the F4L lose its AF abilities with a TC? Or mabye that's the 100-400 F4.6L? Mabye it's none?

Anyhow, check out www.fredmiranda.com for lens reviews. The've got basically every Sigma and Canon (not to mention Nikon and Tokina) lenses with reviews from users. Very, very helpful.
          CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

If you don't REALLY need 300mm+, I look at the 70-200 f/4L ($549 from B&H). Once you go L, you never go back.

Gary Watt on Anet has some nice shots with the Sigma 170-500mm, but that is $649 at B&H.
            I have the 70-200 as my first lens for the 300D

here is what the 70-200 on a 300D can do:
            [photoid=311479]
            [photoid=311475]
            [photoid=309095]
            [photoid=309105]
            [photoid=309097]

/plugfest :P

Also remember you can crop quite a bit too with the 6.3mp!

Comment

Awesome information everyone. Checksix, I'll be looking through that review page in a minute.

But yes, I'm REALLY going to be needing atleast 300mm here. MCO's only "legit" spitting location is on top of the parking garage, but the runways are a very good distance away. My current 300mm lens on my 35mm camera doesn't quite get it done. I've heard there is a slight multiplication factor with the 300D compared to standard lens lengths, is this true? That's what I've read online and also what I person in a photo store near me told me once. So what would a 300mm lense be equivilient to on the digitial?

-Rich

Comment

300mm on a Digital camera would be 480mm equiv.

However if I were you I would still try and get 400mm.

INDO FILM Sebagai Situs Nonton Film LK21 Bioskop Keren Layarkaca21 XXI Online Terlengkap dan Download Streaming Movie Sub Indo Gratis.

That's a good link comparing 400mm zooms.

And the Sigma 135-400mm has a list of $539 at B&H. Cheapest at an online store is $380. cheapest at ebay is $409.

Comment

Greg, you just keep coming with the good info. I liked the Sigma I had on the Minolta I've used up to now and I really need as much available zoom as possible (can't have too much, right?). So after reading the reviews and taking it all into account I think Im going to go for the Sigma 135-400mm lens to go with the 300D.

I'll order the 300D in a bit and search for the lens for a little while trying to find a reputable place with a decent price.

What kind of storage cards are you using? Anything else you recommend for the 300D? A guy at work picked up a battery pack for his 300D, any benefit to the added battery capacity?

-Rich

Comment

Let me chime in here...all of the above information is good...
                    I use a Canon 75-300EF USM lens as my primary for spotting, and I have a 28-90 as well. My personal opinion is to stay away from Tamron lenses, just based on my experience with one...but I have heard good things about the Sigma products. MY next lens purchase will likely be the Canon 100-400L, just have to save the money up for it.
                    I have a 512mb card that will hold close to 300 shots, with a 64mb one as backup (used when downloading the other one to mylaptop). ALWAYS have an extra battery.
                    You won't be disappointed with the results you get from the 300D once you get used to it...
                    [photoid=309197]
                    [photoid=312515]
                    Above all, have fun!!!
                    George R. Widener
                    Oshkosh, WI USA
                    Aircraft Photos Here
                    Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

I have a 75-300mm USM III for my 300D. I have two memory cards, a 256 MB and a 512 MB. I got the San Disk 512 MB card for only $83 at amazon

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the F4L lose its AF abilities with a TC?

Not with the 1.4x. It becomes an f/5.6 lens WITH AF retained.

The 2.8 version would have it with either the 1.4x or 2x.
                        My photos on jp.net

Comment

The 2.8 version would have it with either the 1.4x or 2x.
                          The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is a really nice lens but very expensive I am thinking of getting it in the future and using it with the 2x teleconverter. Gotta save up first!
                          Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                          No Frontiers

Comment

From what I have heard (and seen) you must watch Sigma and Tamron lens with Canon because sometime they give you a Err 99, this happened to me when i was looking for a lens with my 10D. I know the Sigma can be "re-chipped" but I would stay with the canon lens.

Thanks

a new 10D owner...............................

Comment

From what I have heard (and seen) you must watch Sigma and Tamron lens with Canon because sometime they give you a Err 99, this happened to me when i was looking for a lens with my 10D. I know the Sigma can be "re-chipped" but I would stay with the canon lens.

Thanks

a new 10D owner...............................

Comment

Working...
                              X