Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few DSLR Accy's Questions

CF Cards
    On BuyDig.Com, Scandisk cards cost a lot more than High-Speed ones.

Buy the High-Speed 512MB Compact Flash Memory Card ( A Necessity) at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

$99 for 512MB

Buy the Sandisk 512 MB Ultra II Compact Flash Memory Card at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

$199 for 512MB

Do they make a big difference?

Lens
    I'm thinking of buying the 75-300. Does the USM make a big difference?

Buy the Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

Buy the Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 USM III Lens, With Canon 1-Year USA Warranty at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

Also...

Is there anything else I need to buy along with the 300D?
    Will F.
    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

I have a slow CF card, type I Sandisk 1GB, only 1.2MB/sec. But with the D30's 9 frame buffer, I am rarely hassled by this. However with the 300D's small 4 frame buffer, I would consider a faster card as it will clear the buffer quicker.

USM makes for faster and quieter AF. I have the USM model...get it!

Think extra battery too, I got an older Canon 1100mAh one with my D30, it only lasts about half a day of shooting! I bought two non canon BP-511s, 1500mAh ones, that last two days each, for 15$ a piece.

-Clovis

Comment

Alright. Thanks a lot Clovis.

This one?
      Buy the Sakar BP-511CL - 1300 MAH BP-511/BP-512 for Canon Digital Cameras and Camcorders at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

Do I need this charger too?
      Buy the Canon CB-5L BATTERY CHARGER FOR BP-511 BATTERY at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.
      Will F.

Comment

Buydig has some good prices, I bought both my lenses from them, but that battery is a ripoff! For 50 bucks you can almost buy a Canon BP-511!!

Try www.pricegrabber.com I've found alot of deals through there.

Make sure the mAh is high...from what I've experienced...that means they last longer (dunno if thats exactly right! )

-Clovis

Comment

Thanks a lot again.

Can't wait to shoot with a DSLR.
          Will F.

Comment

DSLR shooting is so fun trust me I just stepped up to it

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
              Make sure the mAh is high...from what I've experienced...that means they last longer (dunno if thats exactly right! )
              You guessed right. Milliamps-hours are a measurement of how much energy, or current, a battery can hold. Your mileage will vary quite a bit between brands, though.

Comment

Alright, another D-SLR member

Don't forget to get a UV filter for your lens. It's a cheap investment that will keep your lens protected. Also don't forget to get a camera bag and a cleaning kit.
                Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                No Frontiers

Comment

The 300D should come with a charger no?

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by b777
                    Alright, another D-SLR member

Don't forget to get a UV filter for your lens. It's a cheap investment that will keep your lens protected. Also don't forget to get a camera bag and a cleaning kit.
                    I don't have/use one... unless you get a good one you could get reflections off of the filter onto the lens. Just clean the lens after each use and you should be ok. Only thing that a filter migth be useful for is if it's raining or something and you don't want water on your lens... other than that i don't see the need for one... but i would get a hood though.

For the camera bag i reccomend the Lowero Topload Zoom AW. Fits all of my stuff (even accessories), even the 70-200 mounted on camera w/ hood attached and the 15-55mm... although you have to put everything in a certain way for this too work.

Yea clov the 300D comes with a charger...

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                      The 300D should come with a charger no?

-Clovis
                      Yea, it should have a battery charger unless the store remove it from the box to make more profit. By the way, the price of the 10D has gone down quite a bit...it is only $1,184 at buydig.com !!! Will, you might want to consider it instead of the 300D. Go to dpreview.com for reviews on both cameras. BTW, another good online store to buy stuff from is bhphoto.com. Their stuff may sometimes be a bit more costly but they are a very reputable store. I got my 28-105mm II USM from them.

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                      I don't have/use one... unless you get a good one you could get reflections off of the filter onto the lens. Just clean the lens after each use and you should be ok. Only thing that a filter migth be useful for is if it's raining or something and you don't want water on your lens... other than that i don't see the need for one... but i would get a hood though.
                      It's not a good idea to clean the lens frequently because you may degrade the lens coating. The filter will protect the lens from any debris that might hit it. I use a Canon UV filter and I have no problem with reflections and such. The filter was only like $10 bucks. Getting a lens hood is also a good idea...it will help reduce flare.
                      Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                      No Frontiers

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice.
                        Will F.

Comment

I have gotten some good deals on CF cards from Dell. They sometimes have free shipping.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X