I am tired of planes too Wietse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am tired of planes too Wietse...

To follow off a thread posted by Wietse on the airliners.net photography forum ( http://www.airliners.net/discussions...d.main/138370/ )

I am also BORED of planes!!! I love aviation, and I like being at the airport...but aviation photography has become mundane and old. I went to Barcelona and shot 750 side-on photos of arriving aircraft. I uploaded about 30. Now I regret uploading any of them. It is too easy to stand at the approach end of a runway and snap clear, crisp photos of arriving airplanes in nice weather with a DSLR. The last fun things for me were motion blur, and sunset/sunrise shots...but even they are becoming common now. Vapor...with recent shots from AMS...vapor is almost dead!

I would much rather spend a day in the city taking photos of people and the streets, or out somewhere shooting nature and landscapes than sit at an airport all day to get the same old photos, that someone else will come and shoot the next day in identical form.

Getting that "WOW" shot now takes ALOT of work...

I will probably not stop taking photos, just less often, and only with a specific idea in mind. I need to start shooting more portraits, people and architechture if I want to make this a career anyway.

What do you guys think?

-Clovis

Go into the city and shoot candids.
    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Try to shoot the entire fleet of a type of plane operated by a certain operator. I'm making my way through WN 737's over here at BWI.

Comment

Greg: that sounds boring! Sorry!

I'm not a reggo/msn/fleet guy...I just don't see the point. I'm into photography for the artistic standpoint...not a collectors'.

-Clovis

Comment

Since when did NW get 737's??? Or did you mean WN 737's???

I WAS getting tired of planes, but now with the new 300D setup it's all new to me now to get higher quality photos. Although SFO and SJC are getting boring...........LAX next weekend will be a welcome and refreshing site.

Comment

since i dont get to visit airports much for shooting planes, it's still enjoyable aspect of photography for me. I do enjoy shooting in cities as well though. I still need to overcome the fear of taking pictures of random people

Comment

I would say it's a good idea...to slow down for a while. The art of Photography is way to broad and interesting to just focus on one thing. Shooting hundreds of pics is not so much fun, unless you are doing it to have a complete fleet archive! There are still a lot of nice angles, situations and locations to shoot in aviation photography, they are just getting harder to find.
              Ever since I started taking pics, I tried to shoot a little bit of everything, I went to photo workshops in the mountains, took lessons and learn to develop my film in B/W...it was all very interesting and cool. Then I merge my two hobbies into aviation photography, but I'm still very interested in continuing my amateur photographer career!
              I realized what you say about the same old pics most of the times...these few days that I had my digital camera have been fun, but sometimes it gets a little too boring, the same planes, the same angles, although I will continue shooting aviation pics, I really wanna continue exploring the world thru the lens. It's a big world for a little camera.
              Good luck and go have fun!
              CostaRicaAviation.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by c72
                Since when did NW get 737's??? Or did you mean WN 737's???
                how dare you make fun of my selective dyslexia.

Comment

Clovis

If you dont already know it, try a book called First light by Joe Cornish, its available at Amazon. He has some great shots, (that have the Wow Factor) taken of landscapes in the south western USA and elsewhere. You have the scenery on your doorstep to do some great Photography without aircraft being involved and you are so right, there is more to photography than just aircraft. Photography should be as much about imagination as it is about a record of an event or piece of machinery: it should be an image of life as well.
                  (Yes I know that is an aspiration not reflected in my pics but its a long road to perfection and I have only just started out.)

There are lots of photos with the wow factor on this site if you look for them and some of the best shots are buried in the sub 300 views category. You are right that the best shots take planning, a bit of luck and a lot of effort but that’s what separates the men from the boys. Happy Snapping at the airport doesnt produce the Wow factor.

Nice sunset/rise photo on your signature, how did you edit out all that LA smog??

Comment

My second favorite site

Comment

I've already been taking pictures of "other" things for quite awhile...I'm just getting bored...really bored with planes.

-Clovis

Comment

I've already been taking pictures of "other" things for quite awhile...I'm just getting bored...really bored with planes.
                        Great, lets see em

Comment

"The city.." thread in non-av is a start

I'm getting a pbase account tomorrow and currently building a site with my brothers help.

-Clovis

Comment

I find it can sometimes be difficult to drag myself out, but I still do love it. I always try something different.

That being said, Calgary can get boring quickly, and I have started branching out. I've been working with some sports teams, and in the next month or so, I'm looking to start up another company of mine, to compliment my current project. Redline Photography will cater itself towards after market cars.

Comment

"The city.." thread in non-av is a start
                              Ah haaaa!!

Nice pics I love the depth of feld you have achieved on these shots but then I guess its easy to get down to F22 and lower in LA (without a tripod?). Seriously, I think you will enjoy First Light,When you can get the same depth of field in early light and make the best of warm up and graduated fliters you will hit the Wow factor. I bought my first grad filter today and am looking forward to trying it out in the Scottish Highlands next weekend. ..No planes..just landscape.

Comment

Working...
                              X