I am tired of planes too Wietse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some inspiration Clovis......

Find some water add some lights and wait for night to fall, I guess TLS isn't as spectacular as Singapore but there must be something you can shoot at night.

Matt
    My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Indeed you (and many here) should expand your photographic vision. While I too love av shots, one can shoot the Nalanji Dreaming 743 only so many times before it becomes tiresome. But let's face it, getting "WOW" shots in any photographic field is increasingly difficult in this internet era where submitting work requires little effort and the volume of digital cameras including DSLRs is exploding.

If you should want to still play around with aviation photography perhaps you should try another tact. Take an editorial direction and focus on the daily operations of a given carrier or carriers as a photojournalist might, such as ramp workers, equipment and their interaction with the aircraft. Granted gaing ramp access is difficult at most major US airports nowadays but if Sam Chui can get on the ramp at LAX, you should be able to make a contact or 2.

Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
        I've already been taking pictures of "other" things for quite awhile...I'm just getting bored...really bored with planes.

-Clovis
        Hi all,

There we go. Those young people with time to spend, the nice digital SLR, lens and close to a busy airport.

I'm 30+, do not have a DSLR yet, just a digicam and a film SLR with 300mm. Takes an hour to get to the airport by car where we only get a small number of international carriers during daylight.
        Just came back from Holland and spend one day at AMS and just had a ball. Bored, no, planes will never bore me. There is always a shot for me to be happy with, even if it's only one.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Yes, things can get boring if used in overdoses. I know the feeling, when aviation photography can get a bit boring. The symptome: I look at a flightplan, and no aircraft is good enough for a trip to ZRH, not even the superb light, nothing.

Then again, there are days, when I look out of the window of the office, see the same wonderful light and think, what a waste of time in the office....

Besides aviation photography, I love taking landscape photos, mainly during impressive weather like special cloud formations, sunrises and sunsets, storms and so on. Funny enough, when I'm away for holidays, I never go to the airport for spotting, but love to travel around and make as much pics as possible of everything I see, with my favourite subjects beeing, amongst others, shorelines, mountains and eye-catching details around me.

BTW, great pic, Matt! And a great inspiration indeed.

Bottom line: if planes are getting boring, don't waste your time with them. Do something else. The interest will come back, and if not, then be it so. It's just a hobby and a hobby should be fun.

Cheers
          Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I started shooting planes cause I was bored with all other motives that people shoot. I mean, there are only so many sunrise/sunset shots and blurred waterfalls I can bear to watch. And then of course all the pictures of cats and dogs and horses...

Shooting planes is challenging, cause it's really hard to be original, and to get a good shot lots of factors have to fall in place. Right plane, right weather, right light, right day, right runway... you know.

I guess what would be most challenging is shooting portraits, getting people to express their true self in front of a lens. However, I have no peopleskills and don't really enjoy shooting people at all, so I will stick with planes for a while longer.

If I was going to shoot sunsets/sunrises, I would actually do it on mediumformat film (or digitalback if I had the $). Beats DSLRs anyday.

Comment

Interesting thread, but as far as I am concerned, I've yet to have a boring day at the airport photographing, and I've been doing it for a while

Maybe I'm one of the old fashioned "older ones" around, but to me, aviation photography is a life long adventure, never boring, always exciting, and I'm sure those of you who feel that are nodding "yes" now! Not to be critical, but for the younger ones here, it could be a phase, something that you might grow out of. But if this hobby has really bitten you, then it doesn't let go......EVER!

Andrew

Comment

well of course Aviation photography would be boring if all you shot was them big fat airliner thingies

Airliners are a good thing to fall back on though when you still have not recovered properly from nearly getting run down by a Mig-15 or getting diced by a Mustang.
                Nice and safe and boring

Now that I have alienated you all, I'll get back in my box.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by andyhunt
                  Interesting thread, but as far as I am concerned, I've yet to have a boring day at the airport photographing, and I've been doing it for a while

Maybe I'm one of the old fashioned "older ones" around, but to me, aviation photography is a life long adventure, never boring, always exciting, and I'm sure those of you who feel that are nodding "yes" now! Not to be critical, but for the younger ones here, it could be a phase, something that you might grow out of. But if this hobby has really bitten you, then it doesn't let go......EVER!

Andrew
                  I feel the same as you Andy, even though I am one of the younger ones here I know im never going to stop doing this hobby, even if it kills me, gets me arrested etc. My future is in the industry related to my hobby, what better job is there where you work on what you look at, read about and photo in your spare time. That beside I do have other things in life, like my beloved Girlfriend Emily who is more important than aircraft, but im happy to know she supports me in everything I do with the hobby.

Of course I do try other types of photography, like my recent attempt at Macro photography with Insects.
                  E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Comment

I think there needs to be a chicks.net for people to upload candids of.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Tornblom
                      I think there needs to be a chicks.net for people to upload candids of.
                      Good idea, Stephen.

Comment

Originally posted by andyhunt

Andrew
                        Well said Andy,

I have just been thinking about it with my clinical background in mind. I wonder if the new generation has it too easy. Digital is a great medium to take pictures but it might be too easy. Using film made me more carefull when trying to make the shot, not to waste film because it's just too expensive. Nothing is more boring then doing something over and over again without putting too much effort in.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

I think limiting oneself to one subject will always lead to frustration.

I´m shooting a lot of aviation (around 800pics a month), but I have alos discovered landscape, animals and macro photography. And there are still angeles of aircraft that have not been tried.

And if the plane bores you, look at the people at the airport. The workers, the travellers, all those poeple can be the subject of a nice pic.

[photoid=316616]

Comment

It's easy to get bored of one particular type of subject, especially if you have the kind of personality where you really focus heavily on a hobby occasionally.

That's certainly me. The trick is to learn the discipline of never being happy with what you do. Whatever subject you choose, whatever field you're in, there's always somebody better.

I like to take a few weeks out every so often. Then, when the feeling comes back, or I get an idea, I'll pick my camera up and go out and shoot.

Luminous landscape and Pbase are terrific places, not least because they have some extremely high quality work, and I find that a real inspiration. Let us know when you get an account set up - I'd love to see some of your work.

Comment

well its a nieuw mode i guess, iv got the same as you 2 guy's, and what greg said about ''why don't you try to catch the whole fleet'', well you have regi spotters and photographer's, think the most of uss don care a S*(t about regi's but its more about the cool photo....
                              My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

Comment

Working...
                              X