Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metering with slr

Hi,
    I have recently enjoyed takign pictures of aircraft landing over my head about 100m away.
    I was taking pictures of the planes above my head and so they had big shadows underneath them. These came out underexposed.
    I was wondering if the best way to meter for exposure would be to put the camerat into fully manual mode and meter of a grey card evrey 20 minutes or so and use that as an exposure guide?
    Would i get blown highlights and underexposed undersides by using this method or not?
    Thanks alot for all your help.
    Ari
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

^^ bump ^^

Comment

Sounds like a backlit situation.Try metering the belly of the plane with your camera so that it will lighten up the underside of the plane. The sky might be overexposed though if you do it that way so you might have to fiddle with exposure compensation to get a acceptable balance. Are you shooting with digtal? If so experiment!
      Click Here for my aviation photographs.
      No Frontiers

Comment

No. I have an eos30e/elan7e.
        I got this because I have a small digital p&s which i learned on and now I feel confident to use this. I got it for £200, about a quarter of the price of a 300d and it has much better performance: eye control(a funny gimick really if you ask me), selectable metering in all modes, 4fps for unlimited frames, one shot, ai-focus or ai-servo focussing in all modes etc. etc.
        I suppose that I could do a spot meter on the belley and add maybe one stop. Afterall, I can lighten a dark picture but highlights are lost forveer.
        Thanks for the advice,
        Ari

Comment

Originally posted by Burrd255314
          No. I have an eos30e/elan7e.
          I got this because I have a small digital p&s which i learned on and now I feel confident to use this. I got it for £200, about a quarter of the price of a 300d and it has much better performance: eye control(a funny gimick really if you ask me), selectable metering in all modes, 4fps for unlimited frames, one shot, ai-focus or ai-servo focussing in all modes etc. etc.
          I suppose that I could do a spot meter on the belley and add maybe one stop. Afterall, I can lighten a dark picture but highlights are lost forveer.
          Thanks for the advice,
          Ari
          No problem. The Elan 7 is a very nice camera for its price. I would have gotten it or the N80 if I was upgrading my film gear.
          Click Here for my aviation photographs.
          No Frontiers

Comment

Working...
          X