Don't doubt the 75-300 USM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't doubt the 75-300 USM...

I was looking through my shots from the other day...this is a straight crop off the Large/Fine JPEG original from the D30...no USM, no Photoshop other than this crop, saved at compression level 11...

f/8 and higher...f/8 and higher and this lens will perform... (take note Will)

-Clovis

WOW! That's an amazing ....... red cross on white background

Somehow, the pic won't load.

Gerardo
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Fixed

-Clovis

Comment

Thanks!

But I think your lens is broken. That aircraft looks waaaaaay out of proportion.

Gerardo

Comment

Not my fault Airbus makes such ugly planes

You may be right...that is a big A$$ white dust spot eh? I need a sensor clean..

-Clovis

Comment

I can't really judge on that pic right now. I have to see it at my home PC. If you have tried the 100-400mm already, how would you rate the 75-300 IS?

Gerardo

Comment

I would say that the above pic is comparable to about 80% of the shots I got out of a 100-400L, (using the 100-400 at f/8 aswell).

Another 10% of the L shots were sharper, another 10% blurred.

Note however this shot probably represents around 60% of the shots with my lens.

-Clovis

Comment

I have both the 75-300 and the 100-400... Once you use the 100-400 you won't touch the 75-300 anymore. But it's not a fair comparison. (the 100-400 is 8x more expensive for a start) The 75-300 is fine, just keep the 'f8'-thing in mind and beware of tons of chromatic abberation (compared to the 100-400).
                But what's so special about the picture above?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss
                  I have both the 75-300 and the 100-400... Once you use the 100-400 you won't touch the 75-300 anymore. But it's not a fair comparison. (the 100-400 is 8x more expensive for a start) The 75-300 is fine, just keep the 'f8'-thing in mind and beware of tons of chromatic abberation (compared to the 100-400).
                  But what's so special about the picture above?
                  I have used both, and while the 100-400 is indeed the best lens I have used to date, for 160$ the 75-300 is quite a good value. The shot above appears as sharp if not only slightly softer than most of the shots I took using a 100-400L in comparative conditions with similar settings.

-Clovis

Comment

Clovis, nice photo.

You have IS? Will the f/8 and up thing still work for me, since I don't have IS?
                    Will F.
                    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Nope, Clovis is to cheap for IS.

Well, so am I. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                        Nope, Clovis is to cheap for IS.

Well, so am I. haha
                        Alright then. So we are all in the no-IS group.

Oh yeah Greg, weren't you one of the people saying to never go higher than f/8??
                        Will F.

Comment

Yeah, it's an alright picture.
                          Just as a comparison, here's actual pixels (cropped) from a 100-400 @400mm (note: the original picture shows the whole airplane fuselage + engines). No chromatic abberation at all. That's the biggest plus of L-lenses (besides being a tad sharper). If only they could become somewhat cheaper! My car cost the same as this lens!

Comment

That one is noticably sharper than my Beluga pic Kyuss, but not by much!

Here is another comparison, both shot on the same day...

75-300 USM direct crop compression level 11 in PS:

100-400L direct crop compression level 11 in PS:

Note the 100-400 costs about 1,100$ more than a 75-300 USM

-Clovis

Comment

Wow Clovis.
                              Was the LH 744 also shot at a f-stop above f8?
                              Will F.

Comment

Working...
                              X