Shots of ATL???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots of ATL???

As an addition to the ATL meetup thread...i wanted to know if anyone has shots of ATL from the places we would be spotting from...

Thanks!!

-Mohammad
    ***My Blog***

I would imagine the Renaissance Concourse Hotel would be the lodging establishment of choice. If so, shots like these are typical from the balcony overlooking the airfield:

[photoid=144536]
    [photoid=83343]
    [photoid=83233]
    [photoid=83340]

Here's a 28mm shot looking from the rooms:

[photoid=84899]
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Excellent!

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
      View the Darkside

Comment

Oof. Chris, what kind of lens did you use for those? Specifically the FedEx landing shot...
        I *think* I'd be ok with my 75-300, but then again I plan on having the 100-400L by next summer.
        George R. Widener
        Oshkosh, WI USA
        Aircraft Photos Here
        Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

My god....that picture showing the balcony.....is simply unbelievable. That's it, Im booking tickets and Im going up there next month.

For those that have been there, any room recommendations (what floors to be on)??? Which direction is the hotel looking towards, in other words where's the sun? Any local eatieries? Because Im not renting a car.....I'm going straight from plane to airport shuttle to hotel room.

Thanks for any info!

-Rich

Comment

Originally posted by INTENSS
            My god....that picture showing the balcony.....is simply unbelievable. That's it, Im booking tickets and Im going up there next month.

For those that have been there, any room recommendations (what floors to be on)??? Which direction is the hotel looking towards, in other words where's the sun? Any local eatieries? Because Im not renting a car.....I'm going straight from plane to airport shuttle to hotel room.

Thanks for any info!

-Rich
            I'd agree with you Rich, man I'd never leave the hotel room. Can we say "room service"?
            Jeesh. Just think of the view at night! Bring a tipod.
            George R. Widener
            Oshkosh, WI USA
            Aircraft Photos Here
            Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

What dates are you guys looking at? As far as sun angles go, summer time is BY FAR the best time of the year to go. The Renaissance Concourse Hotel can usually be booked for 79 ir 89 a night. You need to request and "airport side" room. These shots below were shot from the 8th floor.

Departing 26L
              [photoid=332617]

Cluster of activity on a Sunday morning
              [photoid=319737]

Night shot looking down on the Delta North Ramp
              [photoid=318034]

Looking east from the hotel...toward the Delta TOC
              [photoid=316928]

The 26s are normally in use but here is what an 8L in heavy fog looks like
              [photoid=316917]

All of these were shot with a 75-300 (on a D60). Yes, a tripod is a very handy thing to have at night.

There are a couple of resturants within walking distance (a couple of blocks)...McDonalds is the only fast food place within a block or two...there are also a couple of sports bars out near the interstate that are probably a 10 mintue walk away. The resturant at the hotel is VERY expensive.

Keep me updated on the dates and I may try to join you guys.

Chris

http://www.starnesphoto.com/aviation
              [LAX / IAD Update 2.27.07]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Starnes
                What dates are you guys looking at? As far as sun angles go, summer time is BY FAR the best time of the year to go. The Renaissance Concourse Hotel can usually be booked for 79 ir 89 a night. You need to request and "airport side" room. These shots below were shot from the 8th floor.

Departing 26L
                [photoid=332617]

Cluster of activity on a Sunday morning
                [photoid=319737]

Night shot looking down on the Delta North Ramp
                [photoid=318034]

Looking east from the hotel...toward the Delta TOC
                [photoid=316928]

The 26s are normally in use but here is what an 8L in heavy fog looks like
                [photoid=316917]

All of these were shot with a 75-300 (on a D60). Yes, a tripod is a very handy thing to have at night.

There are a couple of resturants within walking distance (a couple of blocks)...McDonalds is the only fast food place within a block or two...there are also a couple of sports bars out near the interstate that are probably a 10 mintue walk away. The resturant at the hotel is VERY expensive.

Keep me updated on the dates and I may try to join you guys.

Chris
                Excellent info Chris, much appreciated. As far as dates, we're looking at June 18-19, 2005.
                My photos on jp.net

Comment

Again, excellent info Chris.

Where did you go to book the hotel for 79-89 a night? I checked a couple of sites and am getting 159 and up. I currently have a tentative date of September 6th-8th marked for when I plan on going. This could be pushed back 1 week depending on finances and the girlfriend who will be joining me.

Looks like I'll be taking a Delta 767 out of MCO early on the Monday and take the 777 back on a Wednesday. That would be my first 777 flight.

Is early September still decent for viewing from there?

Thanks again for the info!

-Rich

Comment

Rich,

September should be decent light.

The 79/89 rate is the weekend rate....it goes to 149 or above on weekdays

Chris

http://www.starnesphoto.com/aviation
                    [LAX / IAD Update 2.27.07]

Comment

ATL trip

the renaissance hotel is probably the best spot i've ever been to at ATL. when adam, chris and i went down there for 4 days we hardly left the room....the view is incredible! the light is best in the summer months of course....you will not be disappointed. the 75-300 was just fine for me, but of course you never can go wrong with a little bit more...

one of the finest things was just having a weekend to relax and do absolutely nothing but take photos and sit on the balcony...photos aside, it was a great trip just for relaxing. and airplanes aren't the only thing that you can watch from the balcony eh Chris?

and now for the plugging....all taken from the balcony of our hotel room

approach to 8L
                      [photoid=333376]

taken at night...bring a tripod!!!
                      [photoid=333239]
                      [photoid=316938]

and some more....
                      [photoid=326954]
                      [photoid=326955]
                      [photoid=326950]
                      [photoid=322589]
                      [photoid=318795]
                      [photoid=318785]

i might just have to go join ya'll down there next summer...

jonathan d.

Comment

Awesome shots
                        These photos definately makes me want to get a room at the Renaissance! Btw, you're welcome to join us next June
                        Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                        No Frontiers

Comment

Holy cow, that looks incredible!

Do you have to request an airport view?
                          My photos on jp.net

Comment

The more I see these pictures the more I can't wait to go. I'll be there either September 6-8 OR 13-15. Unfortunately I'll be stuck paying weekday rates.

Is there a Delta Heritage museum there? Anything at Delta headquarters or at the airport itself that is of interest to us aviation nuts?

I already know Im going to have to get another memory card for this trip....too much stuff to get shots of.

-Rich

Comment

All these pictures have pretty much convinced me to get to ATL next year, if not before. I can see kicking back on the balcony watching the show...
                              Perhaps we could make an attempt to get some sort of tour from Delta or something? If we make ourselves known in advance as an aviation enthusiast group it might be possible...who knows?
                              George R. Widener
                              Oshkosh, WI USA
                              Aircraft Photos Here
                              Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Working...
                              X