300D Failures ...Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300D Failures ...Anyone?

My Digital Rebel that is only 3 months old, failed on me two weeks ago. The autofocus gave up the ghost just as I was trying to get pics of the fly-over for the Brickyard 400 here in town. Anyone else have or heard of troubles like this with the 300D?
    The bad news is that I had to send it to Canon's tech shop to get it repaired. The camera shop said 3 to 5 weeks. I heard that as 6 to 8 weeks.
    The good news is that I have found out that I needed a second body to have as a spare. Decided to get a 10D so I would not go through withdrawls for 5 to 8 weeks. I figured that the slight upgrade would not make much of a difference. I was wrong. I am really getting to like this 10D the more pics I take.
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

My 300D working just fine!
    Will F.
    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Re: 300D Failures ...Anyone?

Originally posted by bowtie`
      My Digital Rebel that is only 3 months old, failed on me two weeks ago. The autofocus gave up the ghost just as I was trying to get pics of the fly-over for the Brickyard 400 here in town. Anyone else have or heard of troubles like this with the 300D?
      The bad news is that I had to send it to Canon's tech shop to get it repaired. The camera shop said 3 to 5 weeks. I heard that as 6 to 8 weeks.
      The good news is that I have found out that I needed a second body to have as a spare. Decided to get a 10D so I would not go through withdrawls for 5 to 8 weeks. I figured that the slight upgrade would not make much of a difference. I was wrong. I am really getting to like this 10D the more pics I take.
      OMG,,,,,, was it the Error 99 code?? I know of a few people this has happened to.

Comment

Believe it or not, there was no error code. It would search for the focus but never find it. It did on all of my lens. The camera shop was as surprised as I was that there was no error code.
        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I get the error 99 code but only with my 75-300mm lens, no others!

Comment

No problems with mine, no error codes. Working great!!!
            George R. Widener
            Oshkosh, WI USA
            Aircraft Photos Here
            Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

Ok so I'm not the only one. I have the same problem with mine, but it only happens when I use the central AF point, which is what I always use to photograph airplanes. At first I thought it was because of the filter, but I removed it and there was no difference, I tried changing lenses and the problem was still there. This happened a few weeks after I had bought it in may. I haven't returned it for repairs yet as I need it for the busy summer months, the only option I have now is to use all 7 AF points.

I also recently encountered a problem with the shutter button, it used to be 2-stage and it's now a 1-stage.

Comment

No Problems with mine.

I've used Sigma glass Canon glass, Tamron, etc.

No problems. Except when the flash pops up and hits my hat.

Comment

No problems here, I use the 75-300mm on autofocus, with the Center metering point, and I've never had an error or autofocus issue.

I'm a big fan of the 300D.

Comment

I'm a happy Nikon user, but from some people I work with they have had some problems.

One friends shutter curtain stopped working, it was about a month old, and a photographer I was working with last weekend had to keep popping her battery out of the camera because the camera was freezing, this on a week old model.

Comment

Sometimes you could just get a bad copy... as for me... i have had NO problems at all.

Comment

I have no problems...oh wait I am using a D30

Quality control must be lacking in Taiwan...I hear of more failing 300Ds than any other D-SLRs. Of course, just about everyone I know with a D-SLR has a 300D.
                        Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                        No Frontiers

Comment

I fear that as with all mass produced products, the more they make, the less the quality gets, more slip through the quality control net and so on.

Same thing happened with Nokia Mobile phones. 4 years ago they were built like bricks and very reliable. These days they are so mass produced that quality slips backwards and the products become less reliable.

So far for me, touch wood, my 300D has been reliable (and that's after 13,000 shots). It's my 100-400's IS that gave up first .

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
                            It's my 100-400's IS that gave up first .
                            That's scary
                            Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                            No Frontiers

Comment

Touch wood, I've not had any problems. I've heard of people getting the dreaded 'error 99' but I've been fortunate myself in that the 300D hasn't let me down once.

Comment

Working...
                              X