Acceptable aspect ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable aspect ratio

I recently had the following rejected....

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Now, I can see why it could be considered to be not centered (vertically). To get a photo that I like (and hopefully is acceptable), the only thing I can think to do is to crop out most of the sky as shown below:

The only problem is that this is no longer in the standard 3:2 aspect ratio. Would a photo of this modified aspect ratio be acceptable? If not, what would be an acceptable aspect ratio (I've checked the upload guide and it doesn't mention an acceptable ratio).

Thanks.

Hi
    I rejeted that one. You have two possibilities: crop closer or include more grass and center the ac.
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

Philip,

Thanks for taking the time to write an answer.

Comment

Hi Nathan, I like the shot you've posted above, I guess aspect ratio isn't everything...we see all variations here!

Comment

I really like that shot, though I do agree that it may look a bit out of place on here being a bit skinnier than most.

Now am I the only one that thought "Aspect ratio=wingspan/average chord". Wow, I actually am learning things in aerodynamics class

Comment

Hate to ask this but would submitting a recropped version only result in its being rejected again for being in shadow? My impression is screeners are fairly insistent on this.

Comment

I think in this case, the slight backlight actually adds to the mood. But then again, what I think doens't really matter.
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

The upload guidelines say that all backlit shots will be rejected, however, it is impossible to get good reflections where the subject is fully lit. In my opinion, the reflections of the wings in the fuselage and engines and the horizon in the fuselage make up for the "backlighting".

There are many examples of of "backlit" shots that have been accepted that had the rules been strictly adhered to, would have been rejected. Not to say that there's anything wrong with these shots though. And to clarify, I'm not advocating that these shots should have been rejected either.

Some examples.....

[photoid=365160]
                [photoid=365124]

Comment

I dont agree with having set guidelines and saying that "all backlit shots will be deleted" and thankfully it is not enforced that way. Just because a shot is backlit doesn't mean it will turn out badly. Now I agree that if a shot is backlit in a manner that degrades from the image quality (which I dont think is the case here) then of course it should be rejected.

Comment

I agree that one shouldn't be categoric about backlit shots. I was simply speaking from my own experience in having such shots rejected even though I thought they were still OK!

If the screeners aren't being as categoric as I thought, that's great. The flipside is that this makes the selection process a bit subjective since screeners would have nothing to go on but their individual judgement in deciding which backlit photos are OK and which are not. This is by no means intended as a negative reflection on the screeners, it's simply a fact of life. In other words twr75 if you recrop and resubmit you'll be taking a gamble, so ... best of luck. Let us know what happens!

Comment

Working...
                    X