X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by tsentsan
      I just dont see where this entire thread is going, just whining and bitching, nothing constructive said, nothing constructive done.
      Here's something constructive. All screeners should be checked for their consistancy and we should be able to see which screener(s) accepted each shot. If a trend begins to show that a screener has standards that are particularly higher or lower than the average, then this will be known, and they can be 'retrained' to come in closer to the accepted standard. There should be more guidelines as to what subject matter can be accepted. What may be special to one screener (i.e. a Lufthansa 744 in Manchester) might be considered completely boring by another screener (i.e. maybe a BA A320 in Australia, for example). There needs to be some sort of system whereby the screeners know when the guidelines can be bent for those special photos or not. At the moment some special photos are being rejected in favour of yet another sharp, but common photo. More guidelines are needed in this area.

On a different note, thanks to those who provided advice about my CX 742F shot. Has finally been accepted with some more cropping.
      Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Parker
        There needs to be some sort of system whereby the screeners know when the guidelines can be bent for those special photos or not.
        Bringing it back to the original photo; a Cathay Pacific plane at Hong Kong. That can hardly be considered a special shot.

Your photos are of a good standard, however your method of criticism could be a little better.

Also, in the end the modified photo was accepted.

[photoid=381390]

That just shows how well this forum works. There is no need for crap slinging.
        YBBN - James

Comment

All screeners should be checked for their consistancy and we should be able to see which screener(s) accepted each shot.

There needs to be some sort of system whereby the screeners know when the guidelines can be bent for those special photos or not. At the moment some special photos are being rejected in favour of yet another sharp, but common photo. More guidelines are needed in this area.
          I think you seem to have forgotten that screeners volunteer their time for free, this is not a job for Pete's sake. Chris is the ONLY person the screeners are required to answer to.

Why do some people (usually the same old people) insist on making rejections such life or death issues?

We apply the guidelines Chris has already set, and Chris is happy in how we apply them, therefore if you have a problem with the guidelines you should contact Chris directly. I suspect I know what his reply will likely be.

It is clear that a photo that does not meet the standards of quality will not be accepted unless it is a rare aircraft/airline/livery, new aircraft/airline/livery or depicting an accident/incident.

The first visit of a (type) of (airline) to (airport) etc etc is NOT considered a special case, even though it may be to the photographer. The photo is judged purely on its merits.

So the guidelines are clear, there is no need for more.
          Garry Lewis

Air Team Images - www.airteamimages.com
          Air Traffic Controller - Toronto ACC (West Low)

https://flic.kr/ps/AAWk8

Comment

I think, what's important (and what may have been difficult to find between all the insults and mug slinging ) is that the photo in question, after the suggestions made in this forum were implemented, was accepted into the database.

This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun. The photo screeners volunteer their valuable time in an attempt to make this site the best they can be for you, the photographers. I think sometimes certain people forget that. If I see anyone attacking the screeners who, more often than not, thanklessly give their time in support of this hobby, action will be taken.

I would kindly ask that, in the future, if you have a problem with the screening, contact me! That's what I'm here for! The screeners, I assure you, have far better things to do with their time than get into petty arguments over one photo.

Like I said, though ... the title of this thread was "Help with a rejected photo." Help was provided, and in between a whole load of unnecessary BS, the advice was taken, and the previously rejected photo accepted.

Mission accomplished.
            Trump is an idiot!
            Vote Democrats!!

Comment

I rejected that photo. I gave advice. It got accepted. I feel like I've accomplished something.

About screener's individual standards. Judging from statistics, we are all quite similar.
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

As I have mentionned, THANK YOU for the advice.

I appreciate that screeners are simply volunteers. I appreciate that screeners dislike it when photographers complain about their rejections, and thus, as one of the screeners suggested, I provided some constructive critisism, to which no-one has even referred to, and Gary has even shunned. If you are willing to become a volunteer then you must also be prepared to stand up some some responsibility that the job entails. This does not mean doing the job with no regard for consequence. Are you all telling me that because you volunteer your time, there is no need to strive for improvement? No need to make things better? Things can ALWAYS be improved. Even the best there is, has faults, and we should always strive to better, in this case, screening consistancy. I am no longer referring to my photo, which thanks to your advice has been accepted, but other photos that are rejected. I believe if you don't have the attitude and willingness to strive for improvement, then you should not bother wasting your time and this website should not be wasting resources. There would be plenty of volunteers out there enthusiastic to strive for continuous improvement rather than take on a defeatest anti-critisism attitude. If you are prepared to be a screener, then you should be prepared to shoulder the responsibility.

I am not sure how screeners are chosen. I am not sure of the criteria of the person, however from what I have seen, the controversy over rejected photos often stems from an interesting photo being rejected for quality, when the subject is not appreciated by the screener who is contentrating more on quality. It does not always apply, as I myself have had lesser quality pictures accepted for their interesting content, however I feel that this needs to be extended a little more. There MAY be screeners who are more aviation photography enthusiasts than simple aviation enthusiasts and therefore interesting photos are sometimes rejected, even though if accepted, would be very popular.

More and more often, I find myself and my fellow enthusiast friends visiting some of the 'looser' websites such as Planepictures to look for those very interesting, but not so good quality photos. Chris obviously makes money from Jetphotos, and in a way, certain elements of this website should be run like a business. The more visitors the better! For more and more people to visit other 'lesser' websites looking for those rare images proves that jetphotos is missing out on a whole market segment, as it were. You have to ask yourself what the big picture goal of Jetphotos is. I was under the impression that it was to provide a place for good AND/OR interesting photos to be posted that are popular and will be appreciated by the aviation community.....not just for good photos fullstop. I, and many of my fellow enthusiasts would rather look at a lesser quality photo of something interesting and rare, rather than a perfectly sharp picture of an AA 767 for example, and since I started this topic, you wouldn't believe the number of e-mails I have received from other people with the same views as me.

Please don't get the idea that I am saying you should start accepting all sorts of rubbish, but I feel that there is definately room for the jetphotos staff to strive for improvement. This is already a very good website, but there should not be complacency, and improvement should be regarded as an everyday goal. I have seen plenty of photos in recent times (and in increasing number) rejected for photo quality with disregard for subject quality. I feel this is an area you guys can start improving. Now just like you wish photographers could take critisism about their photos, I hope that you can accept this critisism as well, which is constructive, and not mud slinging.
                Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Have I actually made you all speechless?!

Comment

No, its just taken me 3 days to read your reply!

Comment

Have I actually made you all speechless?!
                      Nope, but I'm tired of discussing over and over again the same things. Get over it, there is no website in this world, which will meet all needs of all users.

You uploaded a pic, which was in no way special, it was rejected with an advice, how to improve it. You corrected according to the given advices, it has been accepted. Mission acomplished. Period!

Gerardo
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I second that Gerardo
                        This topics as good as closed.

Comment

About lower standards for special pics...

We do take that into consideration. Does that mean we will accept an unlevel, blurry, and grainy 10x10 px photo of an A380 enlarged to 800x600? No.
                          Will F.
                          Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Colin's latest long post is a very good one. Well done.
                            Trevor Slack
                            The Hong Kong Spotters

Comment

There used to be a very interesting sentence on the home page of JP.net.
                              Something about "being a site for aviation enthousiast" and "not like other sites (i.e. airliners.net) were standards can not be met unless you are a professional photographer".
                              Unfortunately, this letter of intent has disappeared from the site....

Comment

.... yep, to use this space for google ads to get some money to offer you this free service.

Again: where exactly was the mistake of the screeners involved? A picture was uploaded and rejected with clear reasons, why. the pic was corrected and accepted. What else do you want?

Gerardo
                                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                                X