75-300 NON USM+300D...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75-300 NON USM+300D...

I'm not sure about my new lense (75-300 non USM MkIII) is it good enough for aviation??

Your opinions on the lense and its results if possible.
    Thanks

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
    View the Darkside

I had that as my 1st zoom lens w/my 10D I thought it lacked contrast and was not very sharp. If you go back through some of my photos you can tell a big difference between the 100-300L I have now and the 75-300 that I used to have.

Speed wise it was fine. Very little motion blur (unless I wanted it) it was loud (non-USM) but I did not care (Some people do) For a few bucks more go and find a used 100-300L F5.6 lens a decent copy should run about 300-450. (US) Or go with the 70-200L F/4 with a Tele convertor on it. (PortColumbus has one)

P.S check out http://www.fredmiranda.com the B & S fourm is good. If you can afford it the 100-400 new L lens is awesome!

Comment

http://resellerratings.dealtime.com/...23776-20724600

The USM one is only about $22 more than the non-USM according to the lowest prices on resellerratings.com... not sure how it would be for the UK though. But if you can get the USM online for about $160 USD, get that.

Comment

I already have the lense just haven't had chance to test it out from what i've heard though it isn't exactly a good lense for Aviation photography..I'm hoping for some L this christmas. Thanks for your help guys.

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
        View the Darkside

Comment

there is no difference in the glass of the USM vs Non-usm. Only the motor difference. Either way look at a different lens.

Comment

It should be absolutely fine for aviation photog. Many 300D users seem to have this combination (although many have the USM version). The optical quality shouldn't differ, only the noise of the motor and possbly the speed of autofocus.
            Go and try it, but try to get out on a sunny day to make the most of the lens, stop it down to f8 where possible to get it at its sharpest, and try advoid shooting full out at 300mm as it goes soft.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
              Either way look at a different lens.
              Are you insane? The 75-300mm II is a great lens. I wouldn't trade it for anything besides L glass. You should be able to pull good results with it.

Comment

Either way look at a different lens.
                Really? I don't see too much wrong with these photos:

[photoid=384459]
                [photoid=356339]
                [photoid=356337]
                [photoid=356338]
                [photoid=356340]
                [photoid=356395]
                [photoid=375363]
                [photoid=375361]

It's great that you got yourself a L glass. But there's no need to put down other lenses. Perhaps you had a hard time with the 75-300, but just take a look at Dale Coleman's photos, then you'll realize the lens's potential.
                Will F.
                Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

I also use the 75-300 USM MKII lens and look at what it enabled me to get! I took an Editors choice photo (Dutch F16 at Elvington) with it. Don't knock the canon 75-300 USM collection the 75-300 USM MKII has served me really well for two years. All of my 1607 photos in the database were taken using this lens.
                  http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/

Comment

Have I had good shots with the lens, yes a few. Overall the lens is a basic low line Canon lens. Is it able to produce good shots yes. Otherwise it would not have sold as good as it does (All 3 lines included) Did I have a bad copy of the lens. Yes. Thats why I am so sour on the lens. I would not recommed the lens nor would I pick up another copy of the lens even the IS verison. You can say what you want about the lens and show me and others examples until you are blue in the face, but it will not change my thoughts on this exact lens Canon's 75-300EF MkIII.

Comment

You can say what you want about the lens and show me and others examples until you are blue in the face, but it will not change my thoughts on this exact lens Canon's 75-300EF MkIII.
                      No one is trying to make you buy another 75-300.

But when someone who's just starting out with Canon DSLRs and knows little to none about the compatible lenses has a question, you can't express your personal experience (which clearly does not represent the majority's opinion of the lens) as if it's the gospel truth.

When you make statements like "Either way look at a different lens", that is very misleading. To people who don't know any better, they'll think that this lens is a piece of shit.

Is it? Definitely not.

As for showing examples...I don't know what fairer way there is to demonstrate a lens's ability than to show the results.
                      Will F.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                        (which clearly does not represent the majority's opinion of the lens)
                        OK want majority check these out:
                        http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27
                        http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
                        http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

I think the majority have spoken and spoken loudly.

If someone uses just this fourm for checking out lens, then they need to stick with P & S camera's. There is lots of other fourms with much more informed people about photography to check, will they know everything about AV photo's? No of course not. But there is more to photo's than just planes. (I know that comes as a shock to most members here ) I bought mine as a starter lens, knowing I would get rid of it at sometime, little did I know it was sooner rather than later. As I said before I think I had a bad copy of one. Rethinking my 1st thought using this lens as a 1st lens with a DSLR, not to bad of an idea hell I did it. Just make sure you get a good copy.

[photoid=337052]
                        [photoid=343141]
                        [photoid=316771]
                        [photoid=320507]
                        [photoid=338845]

Comment

Lawrence,
                          I'd say it's a fairly good lens overall to start with. It's fairly easy to get the hang of and performs well most of the time. I find that most of the time on a cloudy day, the shots come out alot softer than usual, slightly blurred and the lens can sometimes struggle to focus for a split second or so, compared to a sunny day there's a big difference. I know overall it's quite a soft lens, but as long as you get it right when sharpening in photoshop, nobody will know

The zoom overall I find is pretty decent. I'm able to fit in 737's side-on when taxiing past the Viewing Park @ MAN (Although not my kinda shot), to heavys overflying at 30,000ft or so.

A sample of my results -

Shot at full 300mm...
                          [photoid=305229]

[photoid=332910]

[photoid=354815]

All the best. Dale.

Comment

Love that pic of the bird.
                            Sam Rudge
                            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Re: 75-300 NON USM+300D...

Great points mmartinfan...BUT:

Originally posted by G-MIDY
                              I'm not sure about my new lense... is it good enough for aviation??
                              So, I think we should just focus on the initial question.

Besides, after reading the reviews, 90% or more of them are complaining about softness.

Like Dale said, if you know how to use Photoshop, then that's hardly a problem.
                              Will F.

Comment

Working...
                              X