Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3x Optical?

Hi i would just like to know what 3x optical would equal to in terms of mm
    I am looking foward to upgrading from my 2mp to something better, but not a DSLR yet, probably a better point and shoot for all around photgraphy
    Only the dead have seen the end of the war-Plato

In terms of 35mm photography, its about 114mm if my math is correct.

Better to aim for 5x zoom.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

unless you can get pretty close to aircraft, you'll find a 3x zoom quite limiting. You'll be better off looking for a camera with a bigger zoom range, even if this mean compromising the pixel count.

Darren
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

3x is a POS, that is what I used until I got my new Kodak, which has a 10x Optical zoom, it makes a world of difference, stay away from 3x because it wont help you for plane shots

Comment

from where i spot i can get pretty close i think

Comment

from where i spot i can get pretty close i think

Comment

Well what camera do you have in mind?
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

well, my uncle mite give me his Kodak LS443 because he doesnt use it at all! So i can just take that!

Comment

What do you shoot with now? If nothing then a free camera from your uncle is an improvement no matter what the zoom right? Then you can get the practice and decide whether the hobby is something worth investing money in on a superior camera later. Take it and experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by slate
                    What do you shoot with now? If nothing then a free camera from your uncle is an improvement no matter what the zoom right? Then you can get the practice and decide whether the hobby is something worth investing money in on a superior camera later. Take it and experiment.
                    EXACTLY lol, i shoot with a crappy 2 mega pixel camera with no optical zoom! So im glad to have a 4x optical zoom

Comment

I used to have a Pentax Optio S4 which was 4mp and 3x optical zoom. Although I could get close to the aircraft it still got annoying since all I could get were those more boring shots.

Then I got an Olympus C-750 (which has served me well), and today I got my 300D which has made me realise how attached to my C-750 I was.

Now I've got two weeks to figure everything out before I leave for LAX :P

Comment

Good Choice Hugh Only one Non-DSLR user who uploads here regularly left in NZCH now As for 3x Optical....I remember my old Digital Camera, was 2mp and 3x Optical....talk about useless

Comment

The number of times zoom is simply a ratio between minimum and maximum focal lengths.

For example:

100-400: 4x
                          75-300: 4x
                          170-500: 2.94x

So therefore, the maximum focal length of a 3x optical zoom will depend on the minimum focal length. Since most digital compacts have a minimum focal length somewhere in the order of 28-35mm, 3x will be in the range of 84-105mm.

Comment

Working...
                          X