Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A depressing story : can someone help me recover my images!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A depressing story : can someone help me recover my images!

Hi Guys,

I really hope someone can help me out here. Read the story below and feel my pain….!

Yesterday I went to Pudong for a session of photography, weather was perfect and I arrived at about 1200. Began photographing with my D70, and this time brought along the ladder to see whether or not I could find some new angles. Found a superb spot where you can shoot lineups and landings, it was great. Lots of nice things for me, JAL B744F, Yangtse River Express B737, KLM B777……I was in heaven.

However, I had to be careful because with the Chinese authorities, as they don’t really take too kindly to photography at their airports, and naturally, I ended up getting “spotted” and decided to move on from this wonderful spot before I was questioned. Very happy, one 512MB full of images!

So, next went shoot some landing shots, and used up another Compactflash card.

Now I have a device, called a Mobile DataSafe II, made by Hama, which basically is a CD ROM burner and allows me to directly burn images from my Compactflash card. So having used up two of my cards, I needed to “refresh”. Turned on the machine, and put in a blank CD, plugged in the Compactflash card from the first shots of the day and pressed backup. Sure enough, everything ran smoothly and as usual, at the end the CD ROM popped out of the slot and everything looked fine.

At about 1600, the sun disappeared for the day and I went home. As soon as I walked in the door, I went over to the comupter and put in the CD ROM burned at the airport to review the images. Imagine my horror when nothing showed up, but instead the screen popped up with the “Burn a CD function”!!!!! I was in shock, there was NOTHING! But I also noticed that there were 0 bytes free on the disc.

Ok I thought, think, think, think. After trying this and that for about an hour, and still finding nothing, I resorted to hitting the “Burn a CD function” and lo and behold, on the “select files or folders” screen, there was a list of the images I had shot that afternoon. So I knew that they had been burned to the CD, but something had gone wrong in the burn process and for some reason, I could not get access to them.

I have tried everything, downloaded all sorts of image recovery programmes, but the problem is that it can’t get into my E drive with the CD in the slot because does not recognise a disk inside the slot. I tried making a direct copy of the CD but it works OK until the end of the copy process and then displays an error.

So dear friends, fellow enthusiasts, I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me here. To summarise:

1) Those images are on the CD
    2) I can’t run any recovery software as the CD is not recognised when I put it in the drive.
    3) I completely pissed off

Is there anything that I can do, or have those images been lost forever.

Thanks to anyone who can help me

Andrew

Andrew, i feel for you buddy. (Welcome back to "our place" by the way. Nice to see you around )
    I've had stuff like this happen a few times. The only suggestion i can give you is to go to a photography shop. I chose jessops. I, like you was at my wits end and had little choice. And they managed to find the photos from my corrupted CF card. Although i tried doing the same thing on my computer at home and it wouldnt recognise it either. So there you have it. My only advice to you is go seek help from the camera shop. Best of luck if you cant find anything else to do mate
    Let me know what outcome to come to.

Comment

Since you can still see the filenames on the CD, I would be 99% sure that the images can be recovered. It would help to know the specific error encountered when you try to copy the CD. Have you tried the option to copy an image of the cd to the hard disk and then burn a new copy from that image? What does it show when you look at the disk information, ie: the number of sessions burned, whether the disk or the session is properly finalized etc. If the session has not been finalized then that may be a very simple solution. Let us know what you have tried.

Comment

Try lexar image rescue and get them back from your CF card.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
          That will only work if the card is still empty, if the older files were overwritten with new photos then they cannot be recovered

Comment

Re: A depressing story : can someone help me recover my imag

Okay, there's certainly a lot of software out there meant to recover stuff from CDs. Dont have any specific names for you, though, but google.

As a last ditch effort (REALLY LAST DITCH EFFORT) I refer to this:

Originally posted by andyhunt
            After trying this and that for about an hour, and still finding nothing, I resorted to hitting the “Burn a CD function” and lo and behold, on the “select files or folders” screen, there was a list of the images I had shot that afternoon.
            Sounds to me like the sessions with the images are there, but aren't closed up proberly. If nothing else works, try to burn a new file to the disk - just some small text file or stuff, and select to CLOSE the disk.

If you're lucky the program might import the data from the previous session and write the content table correctly when closing the disk once and for all.

However, again, since this will alter the files on the disk, and not sure which way, this is LAST thing you should try. Everthing else should center around NOT touching the CD.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the tips, you are all so helpful and what a wonderful community we have in the aviation world.

I'm very pleased to report that Mikephotos has come to the rescue like a knight in shining armour, or a photographer with a killer program!

He directed me to a website that helps to recover CDs that suffer from "bad burns". The program is called BadCopyPro. I downloaded the trial version and lo and behold, IT WORKS. Mike you are a star!

So as you can guess, there is one very relieved photographer sitting here at the moment.

Best Regards

Andrew

Comment

Good to hear that it all turned out for the better.

Hope to see some nice shots soon then!
                Will F.
                Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by slate
                  Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                  That will only work if the card is still empty, if the older files were overwritten with new photos then they cannot be recovered
                  Depends on how much was actually overwritten on the card.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm proud to day that after tearing my hair out, I finally managed to get most of my images with mikephotos help! But really, thanks to everyone who chipped in with a suggestion, offer for help, and general sympathy for my plight!

I would like to dedicate the following image to Mike:

[photoid=387806]

It's one that I'm really proud of and very happy to have recovered!

Thanks again to all!

Andrew

Comment

Andy, followed your story on A.net. Glad to see you got your photos rescued!

Comment

Thanks Steve,

It was a close call, but everything turned out fine in the end!!!!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                        X