Best 35mm SLR camera and lens combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 35mm SLR camera and lens combo

What is the best 35mm SLR camera and lens for avaition photography? I don't care about the price. Right now I have a Yashica TL-Electro with a 75mm-150mm telephoto lense. The camera works fine, but the telephoto is broken and I can't find a suitable replacement to fit this camera, so I say it's time to retire it. The only reason I don't want a digital camera is that I would be contributing to putting myself out of a job. That's right, I process film. I was thinking about a Canon EOS Rebel Ti, what do you think?

Jonathan
    [email protected]
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

If you went digital it would be easier and maybe cheaper. My 35mm camera is a Caon AE-1 but I got a Kodak DX4330 and it is much better.

Comment

Jonathan,
      I recomend the Nikon N80 for film, or the D100 for digital. I use them both, but now more then ever the D100 is paying for itself FAST!

Jeff

Comment

I agree about the F80 being an excellent choice.
        I've used one for over 2 years now and I thoroughly love it. I'm now also using an F100 which has faster autofocus and film transport, great camera if you have the money for it.

For lenses, the AF-D Nikkor 70-300 IF-ED is an excellent choice for a midrange to long tele.
        Or if money isn't a problem (and you don't want to give it to me ) the AF-S G-Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 IF-ED VR or AF-D Nikkor 80-400 VR.

I'm using a Sigma 170-500 myself, which opens a whole new range of possibilities, but a short tele (70-200 range) is still required for shorter range and/or larger subjects. I use currently a 75-240 Nikkor but that's no longer in production.

Comment

If I were in the market for a new SLR today and money is no object, then I'd definitely go digital with a high-end DSLR. Just had four rolls of films developed ("Kodak First Class") and each film had two or three frames ruined by some sort of giant chemical (chalk?) stains on them, and I have anyway yet to see a lab which does not give you dirt, dust and scratches free of charge, and I am amazed at the way the film labs are ruining their own business in this way. I use a Canon EOS-3 today and it's great, but it's only a matter of time before I go digital. Get yourself a Canon 10D and a Canon 100-400 IS USM, or even a Canon 2.8 600 mm IS USM (..if money really isn't an object....)
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Kenneth, I've not had a single roll damaged by a lab in over a year.
            And that's with me sending about 100 rolls in to be processed in that time.

Comment

Kenneth, did you send them out as "overnight" or have them done in a one hour lab? I have been running a one hour lab for about four months now and have seen my fair share of damaged and lost roles from the send out "overnight" service. I have processed hundreds of rolls of film in the one hour lab and have yet to damage a roll. Generally, the one hour people are more careful than the overnight people.

Comment

Hi

I use a Nikon F100 and a 80-400 VR AF ED. Works nicely i think! No need for a monopod. I work at a professional photolab developing E6 and C-41. It very rarely happens that a roll of film suffers damage. Although on non-professional labs that do 1000s of rolls everyday, the occurence is less rare =/

I like slides a lot, but id like a D100 aswell. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Good to see another Nikon user here Chris
                  I'm now also using an F100 (as well as an F80).

How's the 80-400VR? Was thinking about getting one but the €2500 pricetag put me off of it (didn't want to go elsewhere after giving the store here the business for the body) so I got the Sigma 170-500 instead.

Comment

The 80-400 is bliss =). I never carry my tripod with me now, unless im shooting when i want the effects of really long shutter times. 1/60 handheld at 400mm is no problem with the VR function. (some claim 1/30 and lower even, i havent tested that yet though). Its also very light and portable.

Comment

@jwenting and tbirdman: The films were developed over several (!) nights using a well-known film company's so-called First Class service and cost over € 50! And today they tell me they can't find film no. 5 which I submitted with the four others! In this part of the world Munich, Germany) 1-hour services are poor. I'm definitely finished with film as soon as I can afford a Canon 10D!

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdman429
                        Generally, the one hour people are more careful than the overnight people.
                        My experience with one hour people has varied from excellent to not very good, depending on the location. My best experience with one hour people has consistently been at a local Target store. The people working there seem to know photography very well and are willing to provide tips on how to improve my photo quality.

Comment

hmm, might have to try me one of those VR wonders sometime...
                          Maybe wait longer until I can get the 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR G-Nikkor instead of the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX APO I was planning to get

Will be another year at least unless someone wishes to donate €2000

Comment

I also hear that the Nikon N75 is good. Does anybody on here have any experience with it? If so, how did your pictures come out?

Comment

The N75 sits between the N65 and N80.
                              Personally (and most Nikon users agree) I don't see the need for the camera in the lineup. It combines all the good things of the N65 but adds none of the best extra features the N80 has to offer (like DX override, DOF preview, etc.).

Think of it as an upgraded (mainly mechanical) N65.

Photos are made by the lens, not the camera (as long as the meter and shutter are good of course, and with the N75 they are being those of the N65 with some features of the N80 added).

Myself, I'd go for the N80. It offers far more growth potential.

Here's a review, which is quite positive: http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=188

Comment

Working...
                              X