X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftseat86
    replied
    Originally posted by Airbus_A320
    Don't forget the 1.4x converter. Thats really nice to have if you have an L lens and want a bit more reach. Everything else seems good
    A 1.4x will work with any L lens that does not have a max aperture of 5.6. It works with the 100-400L only by taping contacts to "trick" the lens...but then AF is very very unreliable....

You bump the f stop up one with the 1.4x and up two stops with the 2x...so the 2x is really only good with a 2.8 lens or faster...

-Clovis

Leave a comment:

• Airbus_A320
    replied
    another good online store is www.digitalfotoclub.com

and to find the best price for stuff use www.resellerratings.com and/or www.pricegrabber.com

Leave a comment:

• Leftseat86
    replied
    Good Sites for reading specifications/in-depth reviews and user opinions:

www.dpreview.com

www.fredmiranda.com

www.photographyreview.com

Good online retail sites:

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

www.buydig.com (Clovis' Favorite )

www.freestylephoto.biz

www.samys.com

www.digitalphotoclub.com

Good sites to compare prices (and shop)

www.pricegrabber.com

www.resellerratings.com

Good non-aviation photography sites:

www.pbase.com

www.deviantart.com

www.photo.net

Leave a comment:

• Airbus_A320
    replied
    Don't forget the 1.4x converter. Really nice to have if you have an L lens and want a bit more reach. Doesn't degrade quality too much but, but beware of the fact it doesn't fit all lenses and looses AF on some. Everything else seems good

Leave a comment:

• Crazy764
    started a topic What camera/lens should i buy?

What camera/lens should i buy?

Since these questions get asked again and again, and people clearly have no intentions of reading the long and indepth reviews that can be found on sites such as dpreview.com, here is a short and simple answer to the age old question: What should I buy?

P&S Budget:
    Olympus C-7XX Series: Inexpensive, compact, lots of zoom, and good quality.

DSLR Budget Low:
    Canon 300D/350D: Reasonable price, excellent quality, great entry level DSLR's.
    Canon D30/D60: Second hand, but inexpensive. Great quality and control.
    Nikon D70: Slightly more expensive than 300D, however offers more features, and more control.

DSLR Budget High (If you are asking questions about these, you really don't deserve one):
    Canon 10D: Same quality as the 300D, but with more features and control for the photographer.
    Canon 20D: Built on the 10D with more megapixels and functions.
    Nikon D100: Great photographer controls and features, more expensive than D70 which shares the same sensor.

Short Canon Lenses:
    Canon 24-85 f/3.5-4 USM: A good mid-price choice.
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L: For those who want the best.
    Canon 17-40 f/4 L: For those ultra wide shots.

Long Canon Lenses:
    Canon 75-300 USM: Inexpensive, decent quality. A little soft and somewhat prone to chromatic aberration.
    Canon 70-200 f/4 L: Very very sharp. Ideal for spotters at airports with rather good access.
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L: One of the sharpest Canon zooms. Capable of higher shutter speeds than the 100-400L or the 70-200 f/4. Add a 2x converter, and you got yourself a 140-400 f/5.6.
    Canon 100-400 L: Very expensive, lots of zoom, excellent quality. For those with cash.

Short Nikon Lenses:
    Nikon 18-70 ED: The kit lens provided with the D70, good colour, and sharpness for a consumer lens.
    Nikon 24-85: Great lens for the price, very solid, sharp throughout the range.

Long Nikon Lenses:
    Nikon 70-300: Inexpensive, decent quality, consumer lens, soft at range, and low F-stop.
    Nikon 70-300 ED: A bulked up version of the previous lens, upgraded glass, more solid.
    Nikon 80-400 VR: Great range, but comes with a price tag, excellent quality throughout the range.

I would like to thank Clovis and Mark for helping me with this mini review. Hope it helps you somewhat with your camera shopping decisions.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Crazy764; 2005-07-11, 03:19.
Working...
X