No announcement yet.

What camera/lens should i buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm very happy with my 20D, 5000 picturers so far without a hick-up. I know a guy who's taken over 60,000 images on a 20D in the past 6 months and she's still running like a new one. I'm pretty impressed with Canon quality. I went through 2 700si bodies before Minolta supplied me with one that worked, so my opinion of KM quality isn't to crash hot. I must admit it was a tough decision to move to Canon, I'm now glade I did, the 20D made it worth while.

Comment

But there are enough stories of Canon malfunctions over the web.

As I said: no digital for me in the near future. Had to be bad luck with your 700si as the analog models of Minolta never had the slightest hint of anything going wrong.

But my Dynax 60 feels too small with my Tokina AT-X 2.8/300mm . So I go for the Dynax 7 which is nearly the exact same size as the Dynax 7D.

Will be hard to upload photos, though, as the DSLRs are the reference. But I neglected my slide collection badly in the time I had the D7D, time to put that up again .

The Tupolev Tu-114.
      World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Can you still buy new Dynax 7's I thought they stopped making them the same time they discoutinued the Dynax 9. I really wanted a 9, it was either a 9 or go digital with the 20D.

Comment

Yep, you can still buy one new but I'll get one used as I don't want to invest so much money. I even heard they are still producing them!

The Dynax 9 you can also get new . At least here in Germany. I think with the 9 they are selling the cameras they have in stock.

The Tupolev Tu-114.

Comment

What would you guys recommend for an inexpensive but decent camera? I really need one and the one I have right now is messed up.

Comment

Depends on what is inexpensive for you and if you want to have a DSLR or a point-and-shoot. What do you want to do with it?

The Tupolev Tu-114.

Comment

For me it would be within a few hundred bucks and prefferably a DSLR.

Comment

Well, a friend of mine just bought himself a Canon 300D with two Sigma lenses (18-55 and 55-200) for around 700 Euros. This is probably the lowest price you can get for a useable DSLR kit.

However he just ordered a 1100 Euro-lens .

The Tupolev Tu-114.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
                    What would you guys recommend for an inexpensive but decent camera? I really need one and the one I have right now is messed up.
                    The Pentas ist DL is a really nice inexpensive DSLR, excellent build (it would make a canon 350D owner cry) nice features and here's the good bit there are loads or really good pentax lens for sale second hend on ebay or any camera shop with a second hand section for a lot less than canon glass.

Comment

The Konica Minolta Dynax 5D came into stores beginning last week in Hong Kong. I looked at one today, and it feels really solid in my hands. I also like its 2nd knob which has WB and a few other settings, which is likely more convenient than others where you have to go into the menus. The price is competitve too.

I didn't ask them to put in the battery, lest they think that I'm serious about purchasing!

Comment

Well, after the disaster with my Dynax 7D I would think 10 times before buying a Minolta DSLR again. Not to put anyone off but how they handled the autofocus-problems with my camera isn't nice at all.

After the fourth time in service they apparently weren't able to fix anything and now they openly say to me that my lenses are to blame for bad focussing. Ah well, okay, A Tokina AT-X 2.8/300mm on the Dynax 7D producing around 5 meters of backfocus at a distance of about 40 meters is the fault of the lens! Great! Anyone wants a Dynax 7D ?

The Tupolev Tu-114.

Comment

Like I said, I haven't actually tried to use it
                          but it sounds good from reviews so far

Comment

Here is a little teaser of what might come to you:

Autofocus: http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/4...tofokus3eg.jpg

Manual focus: http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/7548/manfokus0ag.jpg

Both are crops out of the original file without further editing.

Don't get me wrong: If the camera works, it is great, but it didn't work properly for over half a year now and I'm getting really annoyed. As the 7D and the 5D share the same electronics this is something I really worry about.

Forgot to add: shot with a Tokina AT-X 2.8/300mm full open.

The Tupolev Tu-114.

Comment

Newbie Alert

Hey guys

Im a newbie here so please be gentle on me. Anyways ive picked up a Canon 20D SLR camera with the 18-55mm standard kit lense and the 55-200mm usm lense. Now reading this thread has given me some ideas, would you guys suggest i dump those 2 lenses ie sell them and get these instead 4 lenses instead as the main reason why i bought the Canon 20D camera is to start taking some photos of planes landing and taking off here in Heathrow UK. The 4 lenses im thinking of getting are:
                              Canon EF100 2.8 USM Macro
                              Canon EF70-200 L IS USM f2.8
                              Canon EF17-40 f4 LUSM 77mm
                              Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L USM

Would these be good for general photography and also plane spotting??.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Comment

Drop the Macro.
                                Drop the 70-200.
                                If you have no ramp access drop the 17-40mm

Get the 100-400mm from Canon.

Comment

Working...
                                X