Best Lens for the 350D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Lens for the 350D?

Well, it’s not for me (DSLR is still out of my price range) but for my boss who has been looking to purchase a DSLR for a while. I know a lot of people swear by Canons and he doesn't want a Nikon (bad experience with a Nikon film camera) so my first suggestion was the 350D. After I showed it to him, he was impressed and is seriously considering it. Now I don't know much beyond the basics about DSLR's, almost nothing about Canon cameras other than what I've read, or the various lenses that can be used with them so I figured I better ask people with more experience before I firmly suggest to someone that they should spend $1,500-$2,000 (camera, lens, accessories, etc).

Now I'm not sure what he is planning to take pictures of but he said he is looking for a lens with a fair amount of zoom but not one that costs $1,400 and as he put it, "can be used as a boat anchor". I suggested this lens but neither of us have a clue about Canon's Image Stabilizer and whether or not it is worth the extra cost.

He has said he'll let me use next time I go spotting so just for my own information would the lens be good for aviation photography or is it really only good for still images? Obviously I won't tell him not to buy it simply because it wouldn't work for me but just something I wanted to know before I waste a day at the airport and end up with a bunch of junk pictures I can't use.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I coulda sworn you'de recommend the 70-200 f/4 Mr. Cadd. You got me to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
        600F4LIS if your feeling fruity!
        but don't forget the 300mm F2.8 L IS USM yet

Comment

Working...
        X