Polarising Filter Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarising Filter Help

I'm after a little advice regarding polarising filters. I've used them on video equipment for filming in/around water but never on photographic equipment. On some of my shots, taken on bright, sunny days, have the sky washed out a little. To help capture some of the blueness, I was wondering if the addition of a polariser would help? I know this will reduced the amount of light the sensor gets a little, but as I'll be using it on brighter days, thats not a problem. These are some sample images of what I mean:

[photoid=394833]

[photoid=372445]

[photoid=394314]

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Darren
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Yes you can use a polariser to accentuate the blue of the sky, although how much of an effect it will have will depend on the angle you are shooting at relative to the sun. I believe (can someone else confirm?) that a polariser will be at its most effective if you are shooting with the sun to your side rather than behind you.

Also, haze and atmospheric pollution tend to kill the blue colour somewhat near the ground, so when shooting subjects at ground level you can't expect to get the same deep blue colour that the sky would have higher up.

Charles

Comment

Thanks Charles, thats most usefull.

Darren
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
      X