This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350D evaluation

As today was rainy (again) I decided to go and play with a new 350D at Best Buy. I took some shots. They are resized and one is original, straight from the camera. Enjoy. Note: no PS used. Minor cropping however.

Two Rebel's side by side. Shot with a 20D.

Text detail

Unedited, unprocessed 350D image.

Now onto my evaluation. 8mp is sweet. Real silky. There is a difference between 6mp and 8mp. The amount of modes are sweet, and work as advertised. Engineered technically well. However, physically it sucks. Bad. The grip is tiny. I mean, my hands aren't all that big, but there was no where for my fingers to go. And the grip bent in at the bottom. Really not ergonomic. I prefer the originals grip. If Canon had kept a BP-511 in, the grip would probably work out. But they didn't. So it's a pansy grip. I like to heft my 300D around with the grip but I wouldn't dare with this grip, there isn't anything to hold onto. Like if you toss L glass on it, it would just be screwed up. great camera, bad grip. I also played with a 20D and that is probably where my money will go. Grip is good. weight is good. Focusing is magic. And 8mp is oh so sweet.

Looks like a nice camera Besides the 8MP, is there any other big difference?
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

smaller, lighter, weaker, slower.

Just the opposite of Airbus's marketing slogan for the A340-600, so easy to remember

Comment

Here are some results from the 350D/Rebel XT on here:

[photoid=441882]
        [photoid=438209]
        [photoid=441875]

Not bad I would say!

Comment

And here's what it looks like in your hand

Mike
          My site: http://www.RampSlides.com
          My photos: Click Here

Comment

Greg's summary pretty much matches my thoughts about the 350D. It will produce some excellent results as it's based on the 20D, but it's way too small for me to consider as a serious camera. It's more like a P&S, size-wise.
            I prefer a much larger body, so i'm glad my money went on my 20D. I'm sure i'd struggle with a 350D & 100-400 combo, and trying a Bigma would be suicide (probably).

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
              Greg's summary pretty much matches my thoughts about the 350D. It will produce some excellent results as it's based on the 20D, but it's way too small for me to consider as a serious camera. It's more like a P&S, size-wise.
              I prefer a much larger body, so i'm glad my money went on my 20D. I'm sure i'd struggle with a 350D & 100-400 combo, and trying a Bigma would be suicide (probably).
              Putting a 350D on a Bigma would be like adding a filter to the end of the lens...

Comment

Originally posted by mikephotos
                And here's what it looks like in your hand

Mike

That's pretty good, Mike...
                Pentax K20D | Pentax DA18-55 WR | Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super

Comment

Well, having used the 350D this weekend I can say its size isn't a problem unless perhaps you attach a foot long lens to it. Of course it all comes down to personal preferences. The film camera I was using was roughly the same size so for me changing cameras wasn't a problem.

The only problem I encountered was that Photoshop Elements 3.0 can’t open the 350D’s RAW files (yet). Apparently Adobe needs to update PSE and it will take a couple of months. They just released a RAW update for the 20D but it doesn’t work with the 350D so I had to use the Canon software to convert the images from RAW to TIFF. Other than that it worked well. Now I just need to figure out all the functions in PSE.

Comment

Given that most of us have larger lenses for shooting planes...it will be a problem. I personally prefer something heavier and with a better grip than that little thing.

Comment

I can't wait for someone to try to mount a Bigma 50-500 on their 350D, then accidentally take their hands off the camera and let it fall to their neckstrap... The lens would remove itself from the camera, taking the mount with it

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
                        Well, having used the 350D this weekend I can say its size isn't a problem unless perhaps you attach a foot long lens to it.
                        That's just it, my lens is a foot long when extended .

Comment

Hi from another 350D user, seem's most of you just can't accept a change. The size of the camera is NOT a problem, unless your the hulk or something.

As for not using a large lens with it.... Why? How many of you use a large lens and have it hanging round your neck in the 1st place?. Everyone I've seen or know Holds their camera, takes their shots and puts it down.

All I'm waiting for is some sun!!

Comment

although the differences of those two rebels are not much, a tiny differ, is quite much,, sometimes when Im out spotting, then suddenly gribs my huge nikon, and everybody looks at me, and just stare .. like they never seen a spotter before with a huge ..you know .. camera.. so having the 350D looks abit anonymous to me rather than the first rebel .. but thats just my opinion..

Regards

John
                            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by hkgspotter1
                              As for not using a large lens with it.... Why? How many of you use a large lens and have it hanging round your neck in the 1st place?. Everyone I've seen or know Holds their camera, takes their shots and puts it down.
                              I do it all the time. It's either my F5 with the 80-200/f2.8 hanging on the strap around my neck while I shoot with the D70 or the D70 with the 80-200/f2.8 on while I'm shooting with the F5.

Mike
                              My site: http://www.RampSlides.com
                              My photos: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X