Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use the Fujifilm TL-FX9 Teleconverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use the Fujifilm TL-FX9 Teleconverter?

Anyone use the Fujifilm TL-FX9 Teleconverter?

I've used one for the last 10 months. Have a look at my photo's. I've since upgraded to a DSLR, but I have something like 700 photo's on the DB taken with my S7000 + teleconverter. Its a great addition.

Darren
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I don't know what camera you're intending to use it with, but you might also want to check out the Olympus TCON-17. It's a 1.7x converter for the C-series cameras, but is also quite popular among users of Fuji cameras and other brands. (Make sure you don't get the TCON-17C; that one has a bayonet mount instead of 55 mm thread.)

If you're shopping for 2nd hand stuff: The older Olympus B-300 is more or less the same lens. I've used one a few times on my FinePix S5500 and think it's quite good.

Finally, you might want to check out the Fuji forum on dpreview.com. There have been lots of discussions on conversion lenses.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pvsoest
        I don't know what camera you're intending to use it with, but you might also want to check out the Olympus TCON-17. It's a 1.7x converter for the C-series cameras, but is also quite popular among users of Fuji cameras and other brands. (Make sure you don't get the TCON-17C; that one has a bayonet mount instead of 55 mm thread.)

If you're shopping for 2nd hand stuff: The older Olympus B-300 is more or less the same lens. I've used one a few times on my FinePix S5500 and think it's quite good.

Finally, you might want to check out the Fuji forum on dpreview.com. There have been lots of discussions on conversion lenses.

Paul
        Im using a s5100, i checked out the Olympus TCON-17, its a bit more then the TL-FX9 Teleconverter, but ill check it out

Comment

Is there a big quality difference between something like the TCON17 and the Panasonic LTZ10? Just about ALL of those lenses are around the $200 to $300 mark, except the LTZ10, which is $800. I found a good site that had comparisons of them all. The LTZ10 did have some nicer images. The colours seemed a little brighter and there was little to no chromatic abbreviation. Is that worth an extra $500/$600?

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure about the exact differences (except magnification) between the Olympus and the Fuji, but Adorama lists the TCON-17 for $93, and the TL-FX9 for $145.

Personally, I'd never pay something like $500 or more (or the equivalent in € in my case) for a conversion lens, no matter how good it was. IMO, if you're willing to invest that kind of money in optics -- nothing wrong with that in itself, obviously -- you're really much better off buying an SLR first. Even the expensive Panasonic is still just a conversion lens after all. The very best it can do is degrade image quality as little as possible.

Paul

Comment

Thats what I thought when I was looking into the FZ20 in the first place. It's only a few hundred less than a DSLR, and adding a lense for another $700 would just pretty much the same as getting a DSLR with an extra lense.

Comment

Originally posted by Genes see
                That's what I thought when I was looking into the FZ20 in the first place. It's only a few hundred less than a SLR, and adding a lenses for another $700 would just pretty much the same as getting a SLR with an extra lenses.
                One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the FZ20 will get you a full zoom range up to 420 mm or something like that, with image stabilisation. A similar lens for a SLR would be quite expensive. You'd only need to buy a conversion lens if 420 mm is not enough.

Paul

Comment

I've had a couple shots where a little more zoom would have been good. Mostly with birds. Those things scare away too easily

Comment

Working...
                  X