best way to spend another 50-75 bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to spend another 50-75 bucks

hey, im looking into getting a 350d in a month(i have the money now,]my mom owes me for work i did] but since we live on an island and all work is seasonal, she does not yet have the money to spend, since its the end of the winter, and while money is not tight, it would be easer in a month when buisness picks up)

anyway, i digress

im going to get a 350D with a kit lens, with a tripod(for non aviation stuff), a 1 gig fast CF card(sandisk ultra II) a third party(higher charge) battery, and most likely a 75-300 USM. now, i will have another 50-75 bucks on this thing to spend(next summer im getting some L glass(or the sigma 100-300 f4 as someone sugested since its a little cheaper), so i dont want to spend to much for accesories for the 75-300). however, i could alwase go with a ~240 doller lens(such as the sigma 70-300 APO, which would be nice, since i enjoy macro shots) as aposed to the $190 75-300, or some other accesory. what do you sugest?
    ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

A polarizing filter? A decent camera bag?

Paul

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by schuyler
      a third party(higher charge) battery
      i just bought this Battery Grip BG-E3 ..really good product!
      thats the only accessory i bought t'gether w/ the 75-300mm III for the rebellious XT
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Definetly get the battery grip. Adds nice balance to the camera.

Comment

ok, i guess ill go with that, but the problem is, that is more than i could spend now with the 75-300, and after looking at reviews, i might get the sigma 100-300, but than i wouldnt have the money. if i go with the 75-300 i might just get the grip a month or 2 afterwords.

bagwise i have a really nice backpack that i belive can more than fulfill my needs, and as i said, i do not think i should get a filter for a lens that i will only be useing for 8 months, and than rairly(i should save the money and get a nice one for the sigma).

or, should i save up for another cuple months and get it with the sigma now, and save the 190 bucks i'd spend on the 75-300(and maby get a 1.4x tele next year or later this year, which, i have heard, does wonders with it). than again, i would have a somewhat large gap in my zoom ranges(88-160 as aposed to 88-120).
          ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Don't throw your camera in a backpack for transportation. I bought this today for $50.30 including shipping from B&H. It's rain and dust proof!
            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

well, i recently bought a new backpack for school, but had this in mind. it has padded sections that are perfict for the camera and lens, but if you dont thing thats enough, i guess ill go with that instead(and probably get the grip a month afterwords, and depending on how my job goes, get the sigma early next year or at the end of this summer)
              ^----raveing lunatic

Comment

here is my plan now. get the camera with the sigma 100-300 F/4, an extra bat, 1 gig ultra II, and a tripod(though im iffy on this one) in about 2 months, at the end of the summer get a grip and an other 3rd party bat., and since i am not traveling much, ill get the bag last,as well as a polarized filter. and maby next year get a lens to fill the gap, pluss a 1.4x tele.

hows that sound?

this is my first SLR, and i want to get everything right
                ^----raveing lunatic

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
                  i just bought this Battery Grip BG-E3 ..really good product!
                  thats the only accessory i bought t'gether w/ the 75-300mm III for the rebellious XT
                  How much is the Battery Grip?
                  Is the 75-300mm a good lens?
                  Is the Battery Grip a good addition?
                  [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

the grip is ~$150

yes, it is a moderatly good lens, but i want to get something really good now as apposed to spending 190 now and than another 1k later.. this saves me about 200 bucks in the long run

apparently yes. it adds weight to the body, meaning it becomes more balanced with larger lense, it also lengthens the battery life of the camera, as well as provideing a good place to grab for portrat shooting

ok, so, after doing more reserch... im going to (if you guys concur) get a 350d w/ a sigma 100-300 f/4(no case, since the sigma comes with one, as does the 350, and i can put those cases in my backpack). also, a ultra II 1 gig CF card, along with a tripod, and grip, the sigma 1.4x APO TC with a polorized filter(are these also UV protective?).

my only quam is the wight of the sigma, and weather i should go with a more traditional set up(get a 75-300 now, and the sigma later) simply so i can have a lighter and smaller lens around for "snapshots"?

also, anyone know if the grip will work with the 720mah batery with a 900mah? i know the 720 will die faster, but when it starts takeing only power from the 900, will that screw up the camera? would i be better off getting 2 900's, useing them in the grip, and keeping the 720 for when the grip dies?
                    ^----raveing lunatic

Comment

well, the camera comes with a case(though i have heard it is mediocre, but my backpack is padded), and so does the lens im getting. i could probably spend 20-40 bucks on a case now(since im getting the high end stuff right away, as aposed to waiting). anyway, does anyone know the answer to the battery question?

also, im getting lens/TC/filters at www.sigma4less.com, which has amazing prices.
                      ^----raveing lunatic

Comment

If I could make 1 improvement to the D70 it would be to have an optional battery grip.
                        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

ok, so im deffinatly going with the grip. but does anyone know about the battery question i asked? i found a 720mAh battery for 10 bucks less at B&H, or should i still go with the 900mAh one in conjucntion with the included 720?
                          ^----raveing lunatic

Comment

also, just how necasary are filters? does a UV and or polorized filter realy make that much of a difference, and does a UV filter really protect the camera that much?

also, do you guys think i will ever use the extra mm given by the TC? does anyone ever use much more than 480 in aviation photography? i have a 12x(420mm) point and shoot atm, and there are times i realy wish i had some extra length, but do you guys think i should get it?
                            ^----raveing lunatic

Comment

With a DSLR you can crop a lot out of your photos and still have excellent quality.
                              Sam Rudge
                              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Working...
                              X