Murphy's Laws of Airplane Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy's Laws of Airplane Photography

What do you all think are the best Murphy's Laws concerning aviation photography? Mine are:
    1. The coolest airplanes show up at the airport the day that you left your camera at home. A B-2 bomber has been to Amarillo 3 times. Each time, my camera was on the kitchen counter at home

2. When you do bring your camera to the airport nothing spectacular shows up.

3. When you do have your camera and a cool airplane appears, the sun is in a bad position, its overcast skies or you cannot get yourself into the right space for a good picture.

Anymore?

Yep, I am bored tonight.
    Scott.
    My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

For me, when a really cool medevac King Air came in, I got a tour and ramp access. But my batteries died
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Whenever the Murphy's Law takes effect, I remind myself....

I didn't miss anything, unless it was three Concordes and an A380 landing in formation.

Comment

lol, yeah the weather sucked the day the 777LR was here

Comment

At my college town airport, inevitably when the evening lighting is at it's peak and the day is beautiful...the HPX Dash 8 is late.

Comment

Rule: Whenever something decent comes in (diversion, etc), you're always at home, at work, or somewhere where it's impossible to see it. Or it's 3 AM.

Comment

I agree. When something really special comes, I usually have to work.

And how about :

It always rains at airshows.
              My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
              My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
              ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                And how about :

It always rains at airshows.
                That better not be true when I go to Las Vegas
                You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

A couple of times I've moved to get a better shot of the ANG tarmac, it's about a 10-15 minute trip around the base. Only to hear something cool coming in on approach to where I just was...

The other pisser I have is my work is right in the left base to RW 34. I constantly see them working the pattern. I swear they wait till I get back to work or leave as soon as I get there...

Most transits come in here on the weekends so sometimes I'll miss them all together..

Comment

Here at GRU the bad luck is even bigger:

1-The shadow will ALWAYS follow the aircraft you want to take a shot of.
                    2-No light or weather conditions guarantee a good shot(a lot of other things already happened,like birds coming from nowhere and standing just in front of the observation deck ruining the shot,a CAVOK day with a single little cloud on the sky and when the aircraft you want to photograph comes in,the ******* cloud enters in front of the sun,disappearing just after..
                    3-When a rare aircraft shows up,you´ll not be at the airport OR it´ll land the moment you were going from one terminal to another and arrive at the worst position to photograph..

But..that´s a hobby,right?No reason to get stressed about it...
                    My photos on Jetphotos.net

Renato

Comment

Man this reminds me what I've had a few years ago.
                      I was thinking to take my camera with me because I had, after school, a few hours time to go to Schiphol.
                      But sadly the weather was a bit dull so I left my cam at home, and that turned out to be stupid!

To go home from School I had to take the bus wich drove past the Cargo area of Schiphol/Amsterdam. I always took a seat at the right side of the bus to have a view at the ramp.... And when I looked there she stood.... the CL-44 Guppy! Man I was pissed.... Normally nothing special stands there when I had my cam with me, and the one day I didn't had it...pfff

I never saw this aircraft again, but I'm still hoping

And I can't count anymore the numerous times when you miss special aircraft at Schiphol because of the multipule runway use. It seems that you're always standing by the wrong runway (the one with al those KLM Fokkers..lol)

Rgds,
                      ErwinS
                      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Last sunday comes to mind....i've been at MAN the last few sundays waiting for MAS' Hibiscus to come in. Last sunday my car's radiator decided to start leaking so I decided not to go over. Low and behold what should turn up.....Hibiscus, and a couple of other non-regulars too - just not my weekend.

Comment

Weather was dia though James, so you didnt miss out that much

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS
                            And I can't count anymore the numerous times when you miss special aircraft at Schiphol because of the multipule runway use. It seems that you're always standing by the wrong runway (the one with al those KLM Fokkers..lol)
                            That's soo true!

How long have Armavia been using the new livery? Or have Air Zena, Air Astana and China Southern been flying to Schiphol? Not long enough cause I still don't have any photos of them! I occaisionally see the China Souther Cargo sitting at the cargo apron but no photos. The others always take of from the wrong runway, or at a bad time, or in bad weather. But most often the runway.
                            Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Originally posted by Petertenthije
                              That's soo true!

How long have Armavia been using the new livery? Or have Air Zena, Air Astana and China Southern been flying to Schiphol? Not long enough cause I still don't have any photos of them! I occaisionally see the China Souther Cargo sitting at the cargo apron but no photos. The others always take of from the wrong runway, or at a bad time, or in bad weather. But most often the runway.
                              If you want to catch them and they are using 18L and 24 for take off you have the chance at rnw 18L for Armavia and CS Cargo. All airlines who have destinations in the east are using rnw 18L at peak times (double rnw use) and the airlines to the west (ie NW,DL,UA ) are using rnw 24 for departure.
                              Same if they use 36L and 36C(to the east).
                              And landings 36R from the east and 06(west) and 18C (east) and 18R west....

I hope this is good to understand

Mostly this does the trick to catch those eastern airlines, but sadly not always.... I'm still hunting for a CS 777.....

Rgds,
                              ErwinS
                              “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Working...
                              X