Thoughts on Canon 100-400L????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, here's my 2 pence....

It's a nice piece of kit. I've had one for over a year and got some great results. The push/pull is very easy to use, but i think it's the reason my sensor is covered in dust. Secondly, the IS failed and had to be fixed under warranty.
    Thirdly, it's good quality at 100-300mm, but above 300mm i've found mine to be pretty useless as it goes pretty soft. I'd also like it to be wider.
    My best results have been achieved at f8.
    The niggles have really started to push me towards the 70-200 f2.8 LIS & 1.4x combo, although i's be quite happy to use it for a little while longer. I can really see a 70-200 in my kit bag by the end of the year.

Comment

My 100-400mm lens is awesome. A lot of people, like James above, complain about their lens being soft beyond 300mm.. My lens really perform past 300mm all the way to 400.

Here are a couple shots taken at 400mm to show you how sharp this lens really is:
      [photoid=435979]
      [photoid=435534]
      [photoid=431889]
      [photoid=414447]

LIke anything, you're taking a chance. I got a 75-300 and it turned out to be complete crap quality wise. The 100-400 generally are a lot more persistant when it comes to quality, being Proffessional Grade equipment. Hope this helps.

-Adam

Comment

Jid,
        How much did the 35-350L cost you?

I have been using an Olympus OM88 35mm SLR with a Sakar 80-200 push/pull lens, I have used it for plane shots, but I've had no problems at all (I know, its much lighter than the 100-400), one of the secrets is to hold it with one hand and the camera with the other.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Well I don't have 100-400L but I have the Sigma 50-500mm which is supposed to be heavier. Im not even near big but im managing to cope with it fine, It can ache my arms after a while but I was expecting that.

Im sorry it is nothing to do with the 100-400L but I thought I might aswell post.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
            Well I don't have 100-400L but I have the Sigma 50-500mm which is supposed to be heavier. Im not even near big but im managing to cope with it fine, It can ache my arms after a while but I was expecting that.

Im sorry it is nothing to do with the 100-400L but I thought I might aswell post.
            Oh, a friend got the Bigma and is quite satisfied with it, its around $500 cheaper than the 100-400 and has more range
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
              one of the secrets is to hold it with one hand and the camera with the other.
              So thats what I've been doing wrong!!!!! *smacks forehead*

Comment

Oh, a friend got the Bigma and is quite satisfied with it, its around $500 cheaper than the 100-400 and has more range
                than again, it also lacks IS, and has a lower resale value
                ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                  Maybe.

Remember doing that, if the camera is not at the same level with the lens, gravity would move it.
                  [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

I got my 100-400L a few months ago. It took me a few days to get used to the push-pull but once you get used to it you'll enjoy it
                    -----
                    Washington Baltimore Spotters Group

My photos at JetPhotos.Net

Comment

Maybe.

Remember doing that, if the camera is not at the same level with the lens, gravity would move it.
                      ... i was being sarcastic ... Its kind of hard to shoot with a DSLR w/a 100-400 or any lens for that matter and not hold the lens and the camera. I can't see anyone just holding the camera..

-Adam

Comment

I was going to say the same thing.
                        ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

... i was being sarcastic ... Its kind of hard to shoot with a DSLR w/a 100-400 or any lens for that matter and not hold the lens and the camera. I can't see anyone just holding the camera..

-Adam
                          i would actualy be surprised if the camera could take the weight, might rip off the mount :P
                          ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

-Adam
                            yeah, but as I found out this weekend its pretty easy to hold your camera with one hand and a beer in the other when shooting at a wedding reception with my 18-55mm lens

Comment

How much did the 35-350L cost you?
                              here in denmark the 100-400mm costs roughly over 24500 dkr = 3242 EUR =2186 £
                              does the 35-350L costs less ?

can anyone give me an example of which bigmas does fit with CANON ?
                              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
                                can anyone give me an example of which bigmas does fit with CANON ?
                                Duh, (big red truck)
                                I would try the ones built with the Canon mount?

Comment

Working...
                                X