bigness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigness

Why are the pictures so much bigger when I upload them here? That makes them look worse! Is there anything wrong with this pic? If so, how can I fix it. Is it an improvement over my other photos?

try to post a bigger picture or provide a link to it

Comment

Here is the pic enlarged
      How can I get rid of all that grain?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
        Here is the pic enlarged
        [insert expletive], it looks like a print on sandpaper!

A better question would be: Where did the grain come from in the first place? I can't believe your original image was this grainy, so it must be the result of post-processing. What did you do exactly? What steps (resizing, sharpening, etc.) did you take to arrive at this result?

A few recommendations to start with:
        - crop the picture properly; there's way too much empty space surrounding the aircraft
        - apply sharpening (unsharp mask) to the aircraft only, not to the sky

Paul

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
          Here is the pic enlarged
          Buy a film scanner and some good software, or a digital camera.

Comment

I know what unsharp mask is but how do I use it, more specifically, how do I use it only on the aircraft?

And yeah, I'm getting a digital camera...............In six months!

Comment

Well, USM settings really vary by the camera, I think.

I have a 10D and I use a radius of .2, a threshold of 0 and I do one pass of it at 500, adn then a second at abot 130, and I usually get a desired result.

You should play with it, keeping your radius at about .2 or .3 and seeing what you get.

You can use themagic wand tool to jsut select the plane, but I think that is too much effort. Odds are, if you are sharpening it enouhg to where the sky gets grainy, the plane is probably too grainy as well.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

I guess the best way to learn is to fool around!

Comment

Originally posted by pvsoest
                  - apply sharpening (unsharp mask) to the aircraft only, not to the sky
                  How do you apply it to just the aircraft without spending 20 minutes and 40 expletives, messing around with the magic wand or the other selection tools?
                  ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
                    How do you apply it to just the aircraft without spending 20 minutes and 40 expletives, messing around with the magic wand or the other selection tools?
                    Just make a duplicate layer, sharpen it, not the original layer. Then use the eraser and erase the jaggies. You can even fade the amount of eraser you use. When it looks o.k. ... Flatten and save.

Or you can use a layer mask.

Comment

With a original like that you do not even need to start working.

There is way too much noise in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
                        In addition to what Jeff said: With shots like the one shown here, where the background is rather plain, the easiest solution is to use the magic wand tool to select the sky (play around a bit with the 'tolerance' setting and such for best results), shrink it a bit (by a few pixels), and invert the selection.

Paul

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I used the blur tool to fix the grain in the sky. It looks like it worked pretty well. But the gulfstream itself is still a little too sharp.

When I get my film developed I'm getting it printed matte. Should I try glossy to see if it makes a difference?

Also, I look up that gulfstream, and it belongs to NetJets. Why would a netjets plane be in Kentucky?

Comment

In addition to sharpening via layers, you could also use the magnetic lasso tool to select only the aircraft and apply USM from there. That way you aren't sharpening all the sorrounding noise in the air.

As for the print selection.....if your going to continue using a film > scan > process method, I would recommend using glossy instead of matte. I think most of what appears to be noise on that image is the matte finish coming out more pronounced after scanning it.
                            Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                            EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                            EF-S 18-55mm
                            EF 28-135mm IS USM
                            EF 70-200mm f4L
                            EF 100-400L IS
                            1.4X II Teleconverter
                            Canon 420EX Speedlite
                            Canon 430EX Speedlite
                            Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

I was thinking about that last night. I'm going to get my next roll developed glossy. I have the trial version of neatimage, and that has helped alot as far as noise goes.
                              By the way, I got one of my pictures on planespotting.net

Their standards seem to be lower, but I'm the first person to get a picture from SDF on there.
                              Here it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X