No announcement yet.

Do you use any filter for the pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use any filter for the pictures?

I was wondering if you guys use any kind of filter in your lenses like a neutral gray filter??,and if you do what kind of filter is used.

Thanks

Jorge Oppenheimer

I've often thought about a polarizing filter.... Are these frowned on? I've seen alot of aircraft calenders shot with what looks like it and they look nice...Whats the deal? Good Question Jorge!!
    -Jay

Comment

my problem is this: because i live in the equator line the sun is alway vertical almos all year round, so when i take pictures the white fuselages are always overexposed, so you can not see any detail on it, i have tryied a polarized circular filter with no luck, what i am looking for is a filter that works an my sunglasses, that remove the exesive glare on the white fuselage leaving all the detail visibles, so i was wondering if the neutral density gray haze filter will do the job.

I hope i explained my self, sorry for my poor english.

Thanks

Jorge Oppenheimer

Comment

I use a UV filter. I keep it on all of the time for protection of the lens too

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
          Same here, at $20 they are basically a lens cover to make sure you don't scratch your lens glass.

I just picked up a circular polarizor for some of my ocean shots. I was told they would cut down on the glare from the water.

Comment

Yeah it's a lot cheaper to replace a UV filter than an entire lens.
            ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Ditto. Better to scratch a replaceable filter than lens.
              Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

I use the hood. Protects it well. Whats the point of spending $500+ for good glass, to just the put a cheap piece of $20 glass over it.

Sometimes I use a polarizer, it can be used to give the sky a really nice dark blue for landscapes for example, and also cuts glare/haze.

Comment

Originally posted by oppenheimer
                  my problem is this: because i live in the equator line the sun is alway vertical almos all year round, so when i take pictures the white fuselages are always overexposed, so you can not see any detail on it, i have tryied a polarized circular filter with no luck, what i am looking for is a filter that works an my sunglasses, that remove the exesive glare on the white fuselage leaving all the detail visibles, so i was wondering if the neutral density gray haze filter will do the job.

I hope i explained my self, sorry for my poor english.

Thanks

Jorge Oppenheimer
                  A ploariser will reduce glare and a UV will reduce any cast caused by UV rays but the later can also be corrected in Photoshop.

Have you tried using exposure compensation to deal with white fuselages?

Comment

i use a pol filter and uv .. but also using the hood for protection .. ..exactly like Airbus 320 said ..
                    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I'm going to HKG this month and am worrying about the "haze" problem there, with my crappy camera, theres almost no chance for me to take good pictures.
                      Anyway, I think Photoshop does most of the job for editing. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by cja
                        A ploariser will reduce glare and a UV will reduce any cast caused by UV rays but the later can also be corrected in Photoshop.
                        A UV filter does nothing for a digital camera. UV is blocked by the anti-ailising screen on your sensor. UV light only affects color film.

Comment

I use a Hoya 72MM UV(0) filter to help keep the lense clean when I'm in a field or other place where theres alot of dirt and dust around. It also doesn't do anything to the pictures (as mentioned)

You could try a neutral density filter. I see then around from 0.1(reduction of 1/3) to 4.0(reduction of 13(1/3?) fstops)

Comment

Originally posted by oppenheimer
                            IMO, the obvious way to avoid overexposing a white subject would be to use exposure compensation (if you're using something like centre-weighted or matrix metering) or base your exposure reading on the subject only (i.e., use spot metering). Make sure the highlights don't blow out, and correct the remainder of the image in post-processing (levels, curves, gamma correction, whatever you like).

A neutral density filter will do nothing except reduce the amount of light hitting the film/sensor. You'd only need it if light levels are exceeding the exposure range offered by the combination of (smallest) aperture and (highest) shutter speed on your camera. In other words, if you stick an ND filter on your lens and do not use exposure compensation, your pictures will generally look exactly the same (exposure-wise) as without one.

Paul

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                              A UV filter does nothing for a digital camera. UV is blocked by the anti-ailising screen on your sensor. UV light only affects color film.
                              having just gone digital a month ago you have just explained a question that has been bugging me since i stopped using my UV filter 3 weeks ago, following damage i.e. why i was getting no UV cast, in comparison to my film shots.

So some would say you are rude but at least you do know what you are talking about after all!!

Comment

Working...
                              X