What attracts you to your planes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What attracts you to your planes?

I've always loved military planes because I grew up near a SAC base where FB-111's were housed. I lived a few miles from the extended runway centerline so I could sit in my driveway and watch them depart on alerts. Nothing better than twin burners lighting up the early dawn lights with aircraft after aircraft departing.

Even 20 yrs later, it's still the speed of military aircraft that makes me drive 2-3 hours to visit a base, watch aircraft or make a weekend of it for airshows.

For some reason, Civilian aircraft have never done anything for me. Whether it's the small GA type or the large airliners.

I'm not in anyway knocking it because I know 98% of people could careless about military aircraft, but what does the attraction of the airliners do for the photogs here? Size of the planes, colors or something else?

Just really curious more than anything.

They're big, they're loud, and they get you places really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
      aircraft or make a weekend of it for airshows.

For some reason, Civilian aircraft have never done anything for me. Whether it's the small GA type or the large airliners.

I'm not in anyway knocking it because I know 98% of people could careless about military aircraft, but what does the attraction of the airliners do for the photogs here? Size of the planes, colors or something else?

Just really curious more than anything.
      Yeah I'm the same as you Top_Gun. I don't mind people liking civilian stuff it's just not my thing as I don't like the way you can only really get straight and level takeoff and landing shots as I much prefer the excitement and variation in the action military aircraft offer.
      http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/

Comment

I would shoot a Phantom sitting still over an A-380 flying inverted over the runway at 100 feet. Any tactical jet over any cattle car airliner.

Comment

Flight Attendants.

Comment

Haha. Unless they're male. Atleast for me anyway.

I don't really care too much for military planes. Alot of them are computerized. It takes guts to fly something that weighs more than a house.

Comment

I enjoy shooting both, but there isn't as much access to military planes, except at airshows. A good one is coming up this weekend in Rhode Island.

Comment

I like the big airliners because it still amazes me that something that big can lift off the ground

Originally posted by JordanD
                I don't really care too much for military planes. (...) It takes guts to fly something that weighs more than a house.
                It takes even more guts to fly somthing that weighs more than a house into a combat zone (like Bomber pilots)

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                  I enjoy shooting both, but there isn't as much access to military planes, except at airshows. A good one is coming up this weekend in Rhode Island.
                  There is some good access to great military aircraft action if you know where to be and look in the UK
                  http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by F3Hadlow
                    There is some good access to great military aircraft action if you know where to be and look in the UK
                    Well I'm not in the UK and if you stood around the perimiter of a base in the US, there is proally a good chance of getting shot

Comment

The babes that photographers of airplanes get lol

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                        The babes that photographers of airplanes get lol
                        Oh yeah...let me count those......errrrm....lets see here....errrrm lol

Comment

I've just always been interested in airplanes, and flying. My parents have home video from when we lived in Tokyo during the 80s from when we would go to Haneda to see my dad off on a business trip. I would get so excited I'd start flapping my arms. Quite embarassing the one time I've ever brought a girlfriend home to the house, those (and many other embarassing videos) came out for all to see. But yeah, its just because I've been fascinated for such a long time, then I developed an interest in photography so I decided to combine them.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                            Well I'm not in the UK and if you stood around the perimiter of a base in the US, there is proally a good chance of getting shot
                            you'd be surprised how much you are allowed to shoot if you call the PAO and let them know you're coming. I've done this at Otis, Barnes and Westover with no issues. The one time I didn't do it up at Burlington Vt and Mr Weekend Warrior MP went off on me in front of my 3 yr old..

http://community.webshots.com/album/222167097OWsOvw

I could take pictures of the F-16 from the end of the runway, but not at the fence where they were doing final checks......how did one differ from the other.

I still always love seeing the C-5's fly in for pattern work. Hope to catch it at Quonset on Friday for all the flyins.

Comment

Working...
                            X