FAO Canadian photographers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Canadian photographers

I am trying to look for Canadian digital camera retailers with good prices but I was also wondering how much the duty fees are if I were to buy from outside Canada. Thanks.
    Click Here for my aviation photographs.
    No Frontiers

well there is:

Black's
    Henry's

Do you mean buying from a location outside Canada and then having them ship it to you? If that's the case, then I don't think there are any duties. Just shipping & handling...

Comment

www.cameracanada.com (London)

www.vistek.ca (Toronto)
      Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
      EF 50mm 1.4 USM
      EF-S 18-55mm
      EF 28-135mm IS USM
      EF 70-200mm f4L
      EF 100-400L IS
      1.4X II Teleconverter
      Canon 420EX Speedlite
      Canon 430EX Speedlite
      Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

I have found that all camera equipment is much more expensive in Canada than in the US.

For example:

I am after the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS and the Canon 300 f4 L IS.

The price at Henrys:
        70-200: CDN$2499 plus taxes @ 15% = CDN$2873.85
        300: CDN$1799 plus taxes @ 15% = CDN$2068.85

Grand Total: CDN$4942.70 taxes in

The price at BH Photo (New York)
        70-200: CDN$2026 (Import lens US$1 converted to CDN$1.23) no sales tax due
        300: CDN$1420 (USA lens) no sales tax due

Grand Total: CDN$3446

Should you wish to have the items shipped to you, you will not have to pay duty on cameras/lenses (they are duty exempt) but you will be eligible for GST and PST if you are having them imported through Ontario and destined to stay in Ontario - as an example. Whatever province you live in you will be charged the appropriate rate of GST/PST).
        This will add CDN$516.90 onto the price

So the total for ordering from BH including taxes would be CDN$3962.90, which is still $1000 cheaper than buying at Henrys.

Something to think about !
        Garry Lewis

Air Team Images - www.airteamimages.com
        Air Traffic Controller - Toronto ACC (West Low)

https://flic.kr/ps/AAWk8

Comment

Thanks for the info, Yea, I noticed camera equipment is more expensive in Canada even when converted to USD. I'll probably buy from the US then if there is no duties to be paid.
          No Frontiers

Comment

Originally posted by atco
            Should you wish to have the items shipped to you, you will not have to pay duty on cameras/lenses (they are duty exempt) but you will be eligible for GST and PST if you are having them imported through Ontario and destined to stay in Ontario - as an example. Whatever province you live in you will be charged the appropriate rate of GST/PST).
            I did not realize that. How come we don't have to pay sales taxes when ordering from eBay sellers outside of Canada?

Comment

Not everything you import is subject to GST or PST.
              For items under $60 there is no import duty anyway and depending on what the item is there may be no GST/PST either.

In the case of photographic equipment Canada customs do not impose import duty regardless of the value but these items are classed as "Category 5" items and they will apply GST/PST if you import them.
              Garry Lewis

Comment

I wouldnt recommend BH photo, nor anything in Manhatten, but places like www.buy.com offer good prices as do many US retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                  I wouldnt recommend BH photo, nor anything in Manhatten, but places like www.buy.com offer good prices as do many US retailers.
                  B+H is one of the most highly respected photo stores in the country. It's not an online Dot Com business. I take it you have never been to their store Chris?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                    You are kidding right?

B&H is one of the leading photographic retail stores in the US. Well respected and used by many people here, airliners.net and other pro/semi pro photogs.

I would trust them far more than a Canadian retailer -they know the business - and certainly far, far more than a web only business.
                    Garry Lewis

Comment

I have used B&H myself in the past and I would definately not hesitate to do so in the future. However, I haven't had any problems with buydig.com either so I guess it will have to depend on who's offering the better deal.
                      No Frontiers

Comment

Chris? Can you answer why B+H is not recommended by you?

Comment

Hmm lets see a Canon authorized dealer, selling the 100-400L for 1,379.95 USD, 200 USD cheaper than walking into a store...ok yeah I'm in. Hopefully it won't be back-ordered when I go to order it otherwise I'll have to head over to Amazon.

Comment

Are you trying to make a point Eric? If so, you are failing miserably.....unless of course you have actually purchased a 100-400L from them and have had a problem?

That is where I brought my 100-400 LIS for, and at that price as well, and had it in my paws in less then a week. Same for my 70-200 f2.8, 5 days no hassle. Picked up a JTL Mobilight 300 as well from them, no hassle, great price, great gear.....

Comment

Working...
                            X