Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which f. stop do you find best for sharpness??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which f. stop do you find best for sharpness??

Hi Guys,
    Im just curious, I try and set my camera to take photos at F.8 mostly (light permitting). Im just curious as to what setting you use to make you photos nice and razor sharp? Any help will be much appreciated

Always f/8.0 in bright/sunny weather conditions So being at Manchester I only use that setting around three times a year lol...

Dale

Comment

on C-750 f5.6
      on Eos 30 f11
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Depends on the lens and on the subject I am about to photograph. As a rule of thumb, I try to start with f8. This comes from times, when vignetting was a pain in the ass when shooting slides

Gerardo
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I try to stick with f8 most of the time.....unless, obviously, something precludes me from using it
          Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
          EF 50mm 1.4 USM
          EF-S 18-55mm
          EF 28-135mm IS USM
          EF 70-200mm f4L
          EF 100-400L IS
          1.4X II Teleconverter
          Canon 420EX Speedlite
          Canon 430EX Speedlite
          Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

I simply use the largest aperture my lens can manage on aperture priority. I have to do this as my subjects are extremely fast at times so shutter speed is all important.
            http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/

Comment

When it is a pic I don't want to miss and when conditions allow it I use f8, otherwise since a couple of weeks I've been playing with shutter speed to get trained to the blurring effect technique.

Cedric.

Comment

Well with the 500 an fstop of F4 is just as sharp as F8
                As for the other stuff my 100-400 is razor at 7.1 through to 300 then needs F8.
                the 70-200 is sharp at 2.8.
                DArren

Comment

When I use my D70, I am shooting at f8 but when I am shooting ramp shots with K64, I use f11 because f11 gives the best color on that film.

Comment

I use between F8 and F16 depending on the light. If my shutter speed gets too low at F8 I will put the ISO up rather than go below F8. The lens you use does determine the F stop you use as some lenses have a 'sweet spot' where they are at their sharpest at a certain F number .. Jid

Comment

I stick to 8. On a really clear and bright day, 11 or 13.

Comment

F.8 and the Sigma 135-400mm.

I donīt really care with my Nikon lenses. Being 2.8 and sharp even wide open, shutter speed is more important then aperature. (mostly program automatic mode with these)

Comment

Wow guys!! What a response , well Im only using the humble canon usm EF75-300 so Im presuming F.8 is its sweet spot' if there is such a thing with this lens? Thanks for all your replies

Comment

Originally posted by Global Pics
                            well Im only using the humble canon usm EF75-300 so Im presuming F.8 is its sweet spot' if there is such a thing with this lens?:
                            Yup, stick it in f/8.0 on a sunny day and the majority of results will be "Sharp As F00k!"... as some of us say.

Comment

Just use a DOF calculator. It is something you should be very familiar with if you really want to learn something about photography other then just using AV or TV mode. You should rarely need anything over f8 unless your standing right next to the aircraft, go much higher then that will wreck any bokeh you might be trying to get, that is if you are trying. If so, I prefer putting a neutral density filter on rather then raising the f stop overly high. Keeping your f stop open will help with the dust problem as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X