Whats another starter lens other then the canon 75-300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats another starter lens other then the canon 75-300

Well, i will be buying my first slr in 2 weeks(Rebel XT), and i was looking at the canon 75-300 lens but i have read alot of reviews and alot of them are not good, saying its cheap feel and very soft,well for the price i understand.Is there another lens that would be better build and quality but in the same price range, im willing to spend a couple hundred more?

Originally posted by YYZPICS
    Well, i will be buying my first slr in 2 weeks(Rebel XT), and i was looking at the canon 75-300 lens but i have read alot of reviews and alot of them are not good, saying its cheap feel and very soft,well for the price i understand.Is there another lens that would be better build and quality but in the same price range, im willing to spend a couple hundred more?

Well what exactly is your price range. The 70-200 f/4 L is like 600$ I think...very very good lens for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
      Well what exactly is your price range. The 70-200 f/4 L is like 600$ I think...very very good lens for the price.
      The 70-200 f/4 L is great but doesnt have the range that i would like, my price range would probably top 600, but im only working part-time and dont want to invest more then that in just a lens.

what about other brands such as sigma and tamron, or should i stay away from those?

Comment

Yeah...knowing YYZ, 200mm would be quite limiting.
        Will F.
        Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

I've been looking at selling my Canon 70-200 f/4 L & Canon 1.4x TC for a Sigma 135-400 MM f/4.5-5.6 ASP AF APO or a Tokina AT-X 840 AF-II 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 . the sigma can be had for 559.00 USD (B&H Photo) and the tokina alternative is going for 489.95 USD(B&H Photo)

The sigma has some good reviews from the fredmiranda site. I suggest a look there for more opinions and price ranges. link: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
          In every organization, there will always be one person who knows what's going on. This person must be fired.

Comment

I found the 70-200 f4L with a 1.4X TC to be a decent combination for YYZ......of course depending on which runway they are landing on.......I've only gone up to YYZ once since I started spotting and I think I got 25 uploads out of that day with this combo.....(this was pre-ownership of the 100-400L as well).
            Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
            EF 50mm 1.4 USM
            EF-S 18-55mm
            EF 28-135mm IS USM
            EF 70-200mm f4L
            EF 100-400L IS
            1.4X II Teleconverter
            Canon 420EX Speedlite
            Canon 430EX Speedlite
            Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Could try the Sigma 135-400....

Originally posted by medic1
              I found the 70-200 f4L with a 1.4X TC to be a decent combination for YYZ......of course depending on which runway they are landing on.......I've only gone up to YYZ once since I started spotting and I think I got 25 uploads out of that day with this combo.....(this was pre-ownership of the 100-400L as well).
              I was gonna recommend that, as thats what I use too. But it would be more than the $600 that he said. But it is a great setup IMO.

Comment

Sigma 135-400 is soft at 400mm, but a fun toy, 70-200f/4 is sweet and the 1.4x put sit to 280mm which is very workable.

Comment

I'd personally never trade a 70-200L in for a Sigma 135-400. I think you'd be quite disappointed with the results.

Comment

Where did that come from James? I traded my Sigma for the 70-200 then bought another Sigma. :P

Comment

Sigma 100-300 F4 might also be in your price range, and is an excellent fast, sharp lens.

Comment

Ooops...sorry...didn't see your price range there. Ya, the 70-200 is defintely a little over that right now, especially once you add in the TC.

The 75-300 isn't a terribly bad lens for the price that it is.....another member on here has the same combo XT & 75-300 with almost 200 pics accepted into the DB over the last 4-5 months, many from YYZ.
                        Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                        EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                        EF-S 18-55mm
                        EF 28-135mm IS USM
                        EF 70-200mm f4L
                        EF 100-400L IS
                        1.4X II Teleconverter
                        Canon 420EX Speedlite
                        Canon 430EX Speedlite
                        Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

I have recently purchased a Sigma 135-400 APO and at the moment very pleased. Image taken with this lens at full 400mm zoom
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=498961
                          Last edited by Mark Ralph; 2005-07-04, 18:21. Reason: image link amended

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
                            Ooops...sorry...didn't see your price range there. Ya, the 70-200 is defintely a little over that right now, especially once you add in the TC.

The 75-300 isn't a terribly bad lens for the price that it is.....another member on here has the same combo XT & 75-300 with almost 200 pics accepted into the DB over the last 4-5 months, many from YYZ.
                            Who are you referring to medic? me or hongyin? or is there another person also? :S

The XT is definitely becoming a very popular camera!

- Jason DePodesta

Comment

The post was aimed to give YYZPICS an insight into a fair priced lens, which from pics I have used it for have produced good quality images. But generally anyone who is interested in a Sigma 135-400.

Comment

Working...
                              X