Canon 350D, folder numbering and shutter life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 350D, folder numbering and shutter life

Well, I've using my 350D for this week and I've noticed that every 100 pictures the camera creates another folder (100CANON for pics IMG_0001-1000, 101CANON for IMG_0101-0200,etc).

If I format the CF, the folder numbering will reset to 100CANON or will continue to 999CANON and then reset?

Also, I read somewhere that the shutter life is 50,000 shots. What happens after that? the shutter simply stops working? it starts to fail? Could be replaced at a small cost? (I mean, if repairing it is $700 or something like that is better to get a new camera instead of reparing)

Thanks in advance
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

The folder numbering should reset. From what I have been taught is you should always format your card before every new shoot, not just delete the files as it reduces your chances of an error or failure.

As for the shutter; I have no clue as by hopefully the time I get there I will have upgraded or have had my job produce the camera for me.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

I don't format them because they have a life (10,000 formattings or somtehing like that)
      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Well I think by the time you format 10,000 times, something new will have either come out or you'll want to buy a new one. Seriously, 10,000, that's a lot.
        Bobby DeBarge
        www.debargephoto.com
        http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
        1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
          Well I think by the time you format 10,000 times, something new will have either come out or you'll want to buy a new one. Seriously, 10,000, that's a lot.
          That's right (Making some calculations I have to format it around 10 times a day for 3 years to approach 10,000 formattings, and I also was a bit confused because an old card got its capacity reduced by 1MB after a whole lot of formattings, but 1MB sounded like a big deal because the card was an 8MB card)
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
            Well, I've using my 350D for this week and I've noticed that every 100 pictures the camera creates another folder (100CANON for pics IMG_0001-1000, 101CANON for IMG_0101-0200,etc).
            Well my 350D is currently up to 109Canon and I've formatted both my cards at least three times so I think it will simply continues creating higher number folders. Of course there is probably a setting that will either stop this or reset it but it doesn't bother me do I'm not going to start playing with the settings for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
              Well my 350D is currently up to 109Canon and I've formatted both my cards at least three times so I think it will simply continues creating higher number folders. Of course there is probably a setting that will either stop this or reset it but it doesn't bother me do I'm not going to start playing with the settings for no reason.
              So probably it resets either when arriving to 999CANON or when the file numbering resets from IMG_9999 to IMG_0001 (each folder holds 100 pictures, 100CANON is for pics 0001-0100, 110CANON is for 1001-1100, 111 for 1101-1200,etc, 999 should be for 9901-9999 or 0000.
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

im up to folder 186 (IMG_8637) on my xt and i format everytime i put the card in the camera.
                all depends if you have file number reset on or off in the camera

Comment

Maybe when it gets to 999 it implodes upon itself
                  Bobby DeBarge
                  www.debargephoto.com
                  http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
                  1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny
                    im up to folder 186 (IMG_8637) on my xt and i format everytime i put the card in the camera.
                    all depends if you have file number reset on or off in the camera
                    Oh, ok
                    So it means that when file is to IMG_9999 it restets both to IMG_0001 and to 100CANON.

Thanx
                    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Dont worry about the number of clicks you put through your XT. Trust me, if you look after it, then come 50,000 it should still be going strong!

MY 10D is on over 70,000 clicks now and still works like it was new!

In regards to formatting, you can format how ever many times you want, it will not affect the lifespan of your camera of memory card!

Chris
                      Chris Sharps
                      5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                      17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                      24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                      1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Originally posted by chris78cpr
                        Dont worry about the number of clicks you put through your XT. Trust me, if you look after it, then come 50,000 it should still be going strong!

MY 10D is on over 70,000 clicks now and still works like it was new!

In regards to formatting, you can format how ever many times you want, it will not affect the lifespan of your camera of memory card!

Chris
                        Thanks Chris.
                        One thing I heard is that the 10D and newer cameras have a very strong shutter. So I no longer will worry
                        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Still got plenty of years before my 350D shutter fails i hope.
                          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                          X