Favorite short zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite short zoom

I don't mean zooms up to 200, 300+ but the midsize zooms like a 28-80, 18-55, etc. I loved my 28-80 IV over my 18-55 but I'm shooting now for a 28-105 f/3.5. Anyone else have favorites of other brands?

My old trusty Nikon AF 35-70 2.8D push and pull. Love it.

Comment

I have a Nikon 28-105 which I used for ages - until I obtained a 28-200 - which now lives on my camera (when I'm not using the 80-400 that is!! )

Andy

Comment

The Sigma 24-80mm F2.8 sharp as .... and relatively cheep.

Comment

Iuse the 24-70L which is very nice but at long ranges you do need to be careful.
          [photoid=519623]
          I havnt uploaded this here as i am saving it for a special occassion but it also shows just how nice this lens is.
          With the ground crew giving the tradional sendoff a JAL 744 is about to start to taxi on a busy Haneda night.10sec exposure.EOS20D 24-70L - Photo taken at Tokyo - Haneda International (HND / RJTT) in Japan on May 5, 2005.

Darren

Comment

I have a canon 28-135IS which i like a lot. Soon though i am gonna be changing that for a canon 24-70F2.8L as i think that offers the best quality out of all the lenses in that range.

Chris
            Chris Sharps
            5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
            17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
            24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
            1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

No need to fork out thousands of $ . I have a Sigma 2.8/28-70 EX DF and love it! Relatively cheap but a joy to use.

The Tupolev Tu-114.
              World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro - nice piece of kit which doesn't cost an entire month's wage to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren Howie
                  Iuse the 24-70L which is very nice but at long ranges you do need to be careful.
                  [photoid=519623]
                  I havnt uploaded this here as i am saving it for a special occassion but it also shows just how nice this lens is.
                  With the ground crew giving the tradional sendoff a JAL 744 is about to start to taxi on a busy Haneda night.10sec exposure.EOS20D 24-70L - Photo taken at Tokyo - Haneda International (HND / RJTT) in Japan on May 5, 2005.

Darren
                  damn those shots are nice

Comment

short zoom

I use the canon EFS 17-85IS.

[photoid=519953]

[photoid=518101]

Both these photos were taken with the lens. One is from inside a helicopter in flight and the other is of a parked aircraft.

My Stuff on The Web

http://www.ryanhothersall.net/

Comment

Thanks u2o i was pretty happy with them as well.
                      Darren

Comment

For now the Canon 18-55 f/3.5-something II, is the only one that I currently have, but will save to get either the 17-85 or save more more more money and get either the 10-22 or the 24-70L, altough putting a $1300 glass on a $1000 camera doesn't look attractive.
                        Last edited by Felipe Garcia; 2005-08-06, 04:21. Reason: mis-spelling
                        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

altough putting a $1300 glass on a $1000 camera doesn't look attractive
                          Well, it's actually the other way round! Putting a cheap lens in front of a DSLR is not very attractive. Most of the image quality comes from the lens so trying to save money there is not the best option.

Even an EOS 1Ds will make inferior photos compared to a 350D if you have a very good lens on the 350 and some cheapo zoom on the 1Ds.

The Tupolev Tu-114.
                          World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwashiorkor
                            Well, it's actually the other way round! Putting a cheap lens in front of a DSLR is not very attractive. Most of the image quality comes from the lens so trying to save money there is not the best option.

Even an EOS 1Ds will make inferior photos compared to a 350D if you have a very good lens on the 350 and some cheapo zoom on the 1Ds.
                            You're right, I hadn't considered that point
                            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

I also use the 24-70 f/2.8, it's a great lens. Here are some pics with it.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/895815/L/
                              http://www.airliners.net/open.file/895748/L/
                              http://www.airliners.net/open.file/895749/L/

Comment

Working...
                              X