• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
    That's why you need a backup camera, at least a P&S
    Eh, I've got slides.

Comment

Ah Eric thats a damn Shame ... hope the next 6 weeks is fast!

Comment

Should have bought a Nikon

Andy

Comment

anywy sorry before , Eric ..
          now i understand ya how you feel, ..

good luck with your slides for at least 6 weeks ..
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

It sounds abit like when my 75-300mm IS. It was coming out with the right side blurry, So I sent it off to waarranty and it arrived 2 months later At least it was fixed. Anyway I just whent and bought a 50-500mm so i'll just keep the 75-300mm incase.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwashiorkor
              Yeah, another satisfied DSLR user. Mine just came back from the fourth rapair and I have the feeling that it still won't work like it should.
              Do you have a 300D too? I haven't heard of any issues from D70 users.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                It sounds abit like when my 75-300mm IS. It was coming out with the right side blurry, So I sent it off to waarranty and it arrived 2 months later At least it was fixed. Anyway I just whent and bought a 50-500mm so i'll just keep the 75-300mm incase.
                wow. 2 months ?? :rolleyes: anyway I hope you're glad with your 50-500mm .. How is it performing ..is it what you've expected it to be ??

any pro's
                or cons ?
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

@PT737SWA: No, not a Canon and not such a plastic thingy either . I have, well, should have, a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7D which is probably really good when/if it works. But mine doesn't.

The Tupolev Tu-114.
                  World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
                    wow. 2 months ?? :rolleyes: anyway I hope you're glad with your 50-500mm .. How is it performing ..is it what you've expected it to be ??

any pro's
                    or cons ?
                    That's because Jessops apparently "forgot" to send it off, Dumb asses! Jessops Suck I know!

Yeah the 50-500 is performing pretty good at the moment

Comment

Don't want to spark off any flame wars, but I'm considering getting a DSLR eventually and I've been inclined towards Canon on the basis of what I've read in dpreview and other places. However, I've seen a few threads on the net about Canons going defective so I'm wondering how Nikon compares with Canon on reliability. Any views on this? Like I said, no flaming please.

Charles

Comment

Hey Charles! What I found out when reading over the internet: regardless of what DSLR you buy, there is a high chance it won't work as proposed. This is especially true for the low- to midlevel ones.

I'm reading only backfocus and sloping sensor for the Dynax 7D (mine had/has that, too), every different kind of problem (lots of "error 99" and who knows what) with the Canons and did you know the backfocus testchart has been specifically made for the Nikon D70?

If you get one which is working without problems you could probably win in the lottery, too!

The Tupolev Tu-114.
                        World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by kukkudrill
                          However, I've seen a few threads on the net about Canons going defective so I'm wondering how Nikon compares with Canon on reliability. Any views on this? Like I said, no flaming please.

Charles
                          Neither Canon nor Nikon have any systematic faults that would render their cameras kaputt after a given time, so reliability should be the same for both.

Nikon had issues with factory-built in backfocus on the early patch of D70's but that's long solved.

I think if you're worried about reliability, then try to get a good idea about the service quality either company provides. Personally I'm obviously biased towards Nikon, but for me from all the Canon-Storys I hear, it seems that Canon just takes longer to fix their stuff.

A Canon owner may tell a different story, however.

Comment

Nikon??

Originally posted by HelmutS
                            I wonder how long Nikon would take for the same repair. Not trying to create any brand-flamewars but all the storys about Canon Service I hear online are decidedly bad and this one fits right in.
                            My D70 took 2 months, 1 day.... under warranty!

I've been loyal to the brand for the last 15 years.... wont be for much longer..

Originally posted by kukkudrill
                            Don't want to spark off any flame wars, but I'm considering getting a DSLR eventually and I've been inclined towards Canon on the basis of what I've read in dpreview and other places. However, I've seen a few threads on the net about Canons going defective so I'm wondering how Nikon compares with Canon on reliability. Any views on this? Like I said, no flaming please.

Charles
                            Charles,

The 350D is one hell of a piece of kit - and cheaper than the D70S. In Malta, Canon is the best bet, as they are repaired by the local agent, rather than being sent abroad like my Nikon...

I didnt have much choice as I already had Nikon lenses, but if you dont have such constraints, I believe the 350D is a great camera with the best service backup available.

Mark

Comment

I shot with a 300D for the last 22 months and I never had a problem. It performed as advertised in all respects, really a nice camera.

I just traded up to a 10D and so far it has been every bit as good as my 300D.

The vast majority of users don't have problems with their DSLR's, you just hear about the ones who have problems.

Comment

My estimate should come early next week, hopefully it won't be so much that I can't afford a 100-400L...I might have to do some negotiating with the guy on the phone

Comment

Working...
                                X